Oral Steroid Made My Hair Grow Back Thicker!

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m already on his diet for 2 months
Thicker beard, deeper voice and a handful of hair that I don’t recall, but that might be placebo. Probably higher t lower dht. Anyways, diet is definitely not cope when it comes to hormones
And no one studied a diet in which you just eat leafy greens and raw veg, right? Vegan diet = veggies cooked in processed oils etc

there is also a connection of gut inflammation and excess dht
Yes. Gut flora along with hair and scalp hair flora are two of the hot topics dealt with on perfecthairhealth.com which I thoroughly recommend for its in depth treatment of just about every med or treatment there is, for both men and women. Most of the HRT stuff related to male and castrate hair regrowth, I located succinctly on his site and I integrated them as he evaluates them both scientifically and in a statistical sense of what might be likely.

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have before/after bloodwork to look at? I'm willing to bet when you "got rid of PFS" and your shedding noticeably slowed, your hormones were not back to baseline. SHBG/Progesterone levels were probably still elevated compared to where they were beforehand.
They were probably not all the way back to baseline, but the closer they get to baseline, the worse my hair should get. The opposite was true, however. The closer to baseline, the better not only did I feel, but the better my hair and skin got as well.

I do have an extensive blood panel that I can share, but I do not have a blood panel from the past before I had ever taken finasteride or a panel from the short time I was recovered from finasteride. It would have been great if I had gotten a panel done while I felt recovered instead of after screwing myself up again with finasteride. But.... stupid.

I'll share the blood panel anyway, but it won't have much meaning until I recover from finasteride and then get another blood panel done to compare what it looks like to be screwed up from finasteride vs. being fully recovered and normal. Although what serum hormones can tell you is still kind of limited, it can still be useful if I have a reference point to compare it to. So, I look forward to getting another blood panel when I'm recovered.

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. Gut flora along with hair and scalp hair flora are two of the hot topics dealt with on perfecthairhealth.com which I thoroughly recommend for its in depth treatment of just about every med or treatment there is, for both men and women. Most of the HRT stuff related to male and castrate hair regrowth, I located succinctly on his site and I integrated them as he evaluates them both scientifically and in a statistical sense of what might be likely.
From my experience in recovering from finasteride, there is a completely drastic difference in digestion of food as the body regains 5AR expression. My ability to digest food has changed quite a lot just in the past month or so. Finasteride pretty much destroys my ability to digest fats properly... and I'm sure it probably ruins quite a lot of other aspects of digestion. 5AR expression is absolutely critical for the health and normal function of mucosal tissues.

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
@czecha

Here is a good publication about PGE2 and aromatase regulation. They conclude that PGE2 is the most potent positive regulator of aromatase expression, but others the tested against include dexamethasone and tetradecanoyl phorbol acetate (TPA).

I’m planning on making sprouted lentils a big bulk of my cals. I need more food than you and can‘t afford your amount of veggies/greens although I still eat a lot of them. Literally a kilo a day. Do you see a problem with this?
For reference thats 90g of protein

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m planning on making sprouted lentils a big bulk of my cals. I need more food than you and can‘t afford your amount of veggies/greens although I still eat a lot of them. Literally a kilo a day. Do you see a problem with this?
I am grilling my lamb chop loins. They are supposed to be great at being tasty which is my goal along with health as the two are compatible. Rabbits do have good hair but I can't live on lettuce. I used to be a man for Goddess-sake...

Charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

giphy[1].gif

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is a panel for hormones I did a couple years back. For reference, these were taken about 2-3 months after I had screwed myself up again from finasteride and, at the time, I was taking 25mg of clomifene citrate for the previous 2 weeks. Again, to me, these won't mean much until I recover from finasteride again and then get a new bloodwork done, but maybe it is of interest to some of you so I'm posting it.

Attachments

• 20180326_25mg Clomifene Citrate EOD.png
    20180326_25mg Clomifene Citrate EOD.png
    259 KB · Views: 98

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with it. You'll benefit greatly from microgreens grown from seeds and pulses and the proteins will already be broken down into carbohydrate and amino acids, so your body won't have to do much to make them useful compared to consuming a protein. If my goal were not to recover from finasteride as quickly as possible, I would also be eating a lot more. However, I spend a lot of time eating nothing in order to accelerate my recovery, so I can't recommend anyone follow my path exactly as I am unless they're also suffering from PFS.

Charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is a panel for hormones I did a couple years back. For reference, these were taken about 2-3 months after I had screwed myself up again from finasteride and, at the time, I was taking 25mg of clomifene citrate for the previous 2 weeks. Again, to me, these won't mean much until I recover from finasteride again and then get a new bloodwork done, but maybe it is of interest to some of you so I'm posting it.

I'd personally get on T3 with a TSH that high, you're likely hypothyroid which can feel a lot like what is described as PFS. It would bring your prolactin down as well, another contributor to those symptoms.

You have two different SHBG values so I'm not sure which is most relevant, but one is way too high which I'm sure you noticed. This can be good for hair, but probably not ideal for libido, energy, etc.

I am surprised your Progesterone isn't higher.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am grilling my lamb chop loins. They are supposed to be great at being tasty which is my goal along with health as the two are compatible. Rabbits do have good hair but I can't live on lettuce. I used to be a man for Goddess-sake...
And I am eating it in my hands expressively like King Henry the Eighth. It makes it easier for me to type with one hand.... And I dress a lot like him in my dress and tights! What goes around comes around in fashion and I would never have believed that I could wear a dress and actually like it! Oh, the male baggage and forbidden fruit of loving beautiful things like all varieties of hose and panties without being gay....<winks, I am a big ol' lesbian, though>

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd personally get on T3 with a TSH that high, you're likely hypothyroid which can feel a lot like what is described as PFS. It would bring your prolactin down as well, another contributor to those symptoms.

You have two different SHBG values so I'm not sure which is most relevant, but one is way too high which I'm sure you noticed. This can be good for hair, but probably not ideal for libido, energy, etc.

I am surprised your Progesterone isn't higher.
It's difficult for me to be objective about the bloodwork. Like I said, it doesn't have much meaning for me until I'm recovered from finasteride and get bloodwork done again to compare.

The high testosterone, SHBG, free testosterone, and DHEA are due to the SERM (clomid) I had been taking for the previous 2 weeks and the high prolactin is due to the effect that finasteride has on me.

The TSH is actually the only thing out the bloodwork that bothers me, but I think it can and probably is related to the effect of finasteride and prolactin. So, when I do recover from finasteride and get bloodwork done again, if TSH is still high, this will definitely be something I'll look at exploring how to correct and why I have the problem to begin with. Until then, it's kind of a waiting game for me. and it sucks.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's difficult for me to be objective about the bloodwork. Like I said, it doesn't have much meaning for me until I'm recovered from finasteride and get bloodwork done again to compare.

The high testosterone, SHBG, free testosterone, and DHEA are due to the SERM (clomid) I had been taking for the previous 2 weeks and the high prolactin is due to the effect that finasteride has on me.

The TSH is actually the only thing out the bloodwork that bothers me, but I think it can and probably is related to the effect of finasteride and prolactin. So, when I do recover from finasteride and get bloodwork done again, if TSH is still high, this will definitely be something I'll look at exploring how to correct and why I have the problem to begin with. Until then, it's kind of a waiting game for me. and it sucks.
You could be really useful by detailing all hormonal/steroid usage on the @bridgeburn site. We are curious about clomid for restoring fertility for example.

Charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Finasteride can induce hypothyroidism.

T3 is a good way to boost DHT, lower tsh, prolactin.

You can wait around if you want, but it's much faster to directly treat what's out of whack in your bloodwork rather than treating it as a mystified condition, especially if you're already outside of the 3 month mark since your last dose and still experiencing sides.

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride can induce hypothyroidism.

T3 is a good way to boost DHT, lower tsh, prolactin.

You can wait around if you want, but it's much faster to directly treat what's out of whack in your bloodwork rather than treating it as a mystified condition, especially if you're already outside of the 3 month mark since your last dose and still experiencing sides.
I suppose it can't hurt to supplement with T3. I have in the past and never experienced resolution of finasteride problems, so I doubt it will be any different this time around, but there's no real danger in screwing myself up more if I try. The only thing that has gotten me out of the PFS loop has been fasting and diet, so that's what I expect will ultimately fix the problem again. If I can stimulate a faster return of 5AR expression through the temporary use of a hormone, though, I'd definitely do it.

Charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I suppose it can't hurt to supplement with T3. I have in the past and never experienced resolution of finasteride problems, so I doubt it will be any different this time around, but there's no real danger in screwing myself up more if I try. The only thing that has gotten me out of the PFS loop has been fasting and diet, so that's what I expect will ultimately fix the problem again. If I can stimulate a faster return of 5AR expression through the temporary use of a hormone, though, I'd definitely do it.

The only other thing that stands out to me in your bloodwork is the low E2, I'm not sure if Clomid was interfering with that number or not. But low E2 can cause libido, mood, and memory issues as well. I had really bad memory after using finasteride which I now assume was in part due to how it lowers estrogen.

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The only other thing that stands out to me in your bloodwork is the low E2, I'm not sure if Clomid was interfering with that number or not. But low E2 can cause libido, mood, and memory issues as well. I had really bad memory after using finasteride which I now assume was in part due to how it lowers estrogen.
No. If anything, the E2 should be increased due to clomid. The low E2 is also caused by the effects finasteride has on aromatase expression and steroid synthesis. However, I wouldn't be surprised if my E2 is still relatively low even when I'm recovered compared to people that don't experience hair loss. I think low levels of intracellular aromatase expression in varying tissues (but particularly, the hair follicle) is probably a huge factor in why I experience hair loss to begin with. And technically, my E2 isn't "low" according the reference range, but I noticed and, to me, it's definitely low. So, you're not wrong in picking up on that.

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All of these problems disappear once 5AR expression fully returns. DHT will bind the androgen receptor and cause upregulation of aromatase and estrogen receptor expression. More 5AR in the brain will also draw away substrate (androgens) from aromatase and subsequently cause a decrease in estrogen synthesis and this will allow the hypothalamus to signal a command for greater gonadal steroid synthesis. Increasing overall steroid synthesis will increase estrogenic activity, so long as 5AR activity is present. Without 5AR the androgens that should become 5a-reduced and bind the androgen receptor don't get the opportunity to bind as often and are instead aromatized. The lack of androgen receptor binding then causes a downregulation in aromatase expression.

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's boring. There are a few high points, but I've mostly become accustomed to eating things people's generally hate. I'll take you through what a day generally looks like.

The first thing I do after I get up is drink a glass of water with around 3/4 tsp of salt. For the next 3-6 hours, I'll just drink water and probably have a cup of black tea or green tea. I'll usually start eating with a fruit like a banana or 1/4-1/2 a melon. After this I'll eat a couple large carrots and a few sliced bell peppers. I'll then eat a large head of romaine lettuce. Then I'll eat maybe 3/4 lb. of broccoli. Then I blend 500g of ginger with lemon juice and water, filter the juice through a fine mesh, then drink the juice and usually eat the pulp as well.

After this I blend up the following: 1 cucumber, 1 tomato, 5-6 stalks of celery, 1/4 head of dense cabbage, 1 large onion, ~10 grams of vitamin C. After this is blended down, I add a full bunch of kale (about 5-6 full leaves including the stem/stalk), 3 tbsp of chia or flax seed, 1 tbsp of maca root powder, then a few large handfuls of spinach.

Could I eat all of this separately? Sure, but I do it like this because it's easy to include a full onion and it's also easy to eat. I consume quite a lot of leafy greens. I also eat a lot of microgreens like lentil and broccoli microgreens.

For the most part, my diet consistently has these exact foods. Sometimes I'll have a different variety of fruit or leafy greens or vegetables, but it's pretty uniform. Very occasionally, I'll eat something cooked. I like to have a lentil soup with pita once every few months or so. I'll also eat meat once a year, maybe twice. Usually not more than once, though. That's pretty much it. I take some supplements. I take iodine, selenium, B12, D3, biotin and that's pretty much it.

Edit: forgot to mention that I eat 1 whole beet per day.. raw, not cooked.

forgot to mention that my diet includes daily consumption of 1 raw beet.

Last edited:

ChemHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you noticed sides with pge2/castor oil?

Maybe my sexuals sides effets from the aspirin /castor oil combo come from castor oil and not aspirin like i though

By the way, I have puffy nipples since starting this protocol
It's definitely possible. With PGE2, I would get a headache for about 30 mins after using it and it would cause a tingling/warming sensation that would travel usually no further than the arms from the source of application. I never experienced sexual side effects from it, but I can't be objective about that because I was technically still broken (PFS) when I used it. I would say the feeling closely resembled some of the effects of estradiol, but when I used estradiol, the effects were more lasting and reached to all parts of the body.

I would say, in your case, that you may already have higher aromatase and estrogen receptor expression in certain areas like breast tissue and so anything that will upregulate aromatase will cause higher estrogenic activity that could lead to gynecomastia. The most ideal use for a drug or substance that can systemically increase aromatase expression is when aromatase expression is systemically low in all tissues. Unfortunately, this is almost always not the case. It's almost always low in some particular type of tissue or area of the body and normal in other places and when you use something to upregulate aromatase, you get normal estrogenic activity in the areas you were having problems and high estrogenic activity in areas that you didn't have any problems. So, you essentially invert the problem and shift it to another location in the body.

I think the good thing about PGE2, however, is that it has a very short half life compared to estradiol. Because of this, it doesn't stray far from its site of application and it is generally going to cause the cell to generate more estrogens rather than just having estrogens directly floating around in the blood. In your particular case, unfortunately, it sounds like you are sensitive to an increase in aromatase expression due to already having high estrogen receptor expression, aromatase expression, or both in your breast tissue.