Numerous vitamin supplements?

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Natural said:
The fact that your regimen consisted merely of things like fish oil, saw palmetto, zinc, and vitamin B, tells me that, up to this point, your research into natural treatments has been cursory at best.
Damn, all my old posts on teh IH forums must have been for nought then as regulars like yourself dont remember them!
I took Curcumin, Resveratrol, Ecklonia Cava, Iodine etc for over a year and just kept losing hair unfortunately. But dont take my testimonial on this, take the complete lack of proper studies related to male pattern baldness on all these supps. I wish I did. :shakehead:

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
The Natural said:
Given your extended history at some of these hair loss forums, I was surprised to see your regimen of saw palmetto, cod liver oil, zinc, and B vitamins.

NH,

Look at my previous statement in this thread. I do remember you.

On more than one occasion, I expressed my sympathy for the lack of success that you were experiencing.

But I didn't know that you actually used resveratrol and curcumin for a whole year. I thought some complications prevented you from using these two supplements, if I recall correctly.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
OK, cool. Yes I know you are one of the more moderate posters on IH and offered advice in good faith.

I just stopped through lack of success. I remember halfway along the whole forum changed from the LifeExtension Curcumin to Jarrow Curcumin after some users reported thinning on the former and I went along with that and still saw thinning

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Forget that sh*t its not related to vitamins. You're just wasting money - get on real treatments.

Real treatments lol minoxidil is pure sh*t and finasteride is poison to the male endocrine system. People still go bald with your real treatments lol.. You guys after all these years still spitting the same old message... Feels like this place is filled up with a bunch of drones sent by Bryan.LOL

s.a.f

Reaction score
Where as vitamins are the cure ? :laugh:

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
s.a.f said:

Not saying that vitamin E will save your hair.. But boosting you endegenous anti oxidant like glutathione, SOD and catalase will make a big difference by lowering the oxidative stress and lowering CRP and inflammation in general will also benefits male pattern baldness.. Increasing cellular respiration will increase ATP synthesis. Reverse eNOS uncoupling will improve endothelial dysfunction... All this can be achieved by supplementation..LOL I just laugh seeing all the old guys here jumping on the newbies saying the same sh*t like a bunch of lined up cheerleaders.. :gay:

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
and doesn't DHT cause scarring? Surely taking something like Taurine which prevents fibrosis would help.

DM5sadouche

Reaction score
squeegee said:
s.a.f said:

Not saying that vitamin E will save your hair.. But boosting you endegenous anti oxidant like glutathione, SOD and catalase will make a big difference by lowering the oxidative stress and lowering CRP and inflammation in general will also benefits male pattern baldness.. Increasing cellular respiration will increase ATP synthesis. Reverse eNOS uncoupling will improve endothelial dysfunction... All this can be achieved by supplementation..LOL I just laugh seeing all the old guys here jumping on the newbies saying the same sh*t like a bunch of lined up cheerleaders.. :gay:

If you have had actual regrow with through only natural means I would love to see some before and after pictures.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
DM5sadouche said:
squeegee said:
s.a.f said:

If you have had actual regrow with through only natural means I would love to see some before and after pictures.

I'm not seeing a claim of regrowth there. Why is it people need to polarise the effects of vitamins and supplements?

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Because this is a hairloss forum.

People are interested in treatments that combat male pattern baldness.

Vitamins do not.

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
But they can help the effects of male pattern baldness.

How great would this site be if all we ever spoke of was only FDA approved treatment for male pattern baldness ... not.

I don't get why, if you don't agree with something, move the f*** on, no need to ridicule someone else's opinion, it's so pretentious.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Because newbies can lose alot of ground by thinking that they can combat hairloss with lifestyle changes. The world is full of bald men who have healthy diets and lifestyles and NW1's with the exact opposite.

If you want to see results get on real treatments if you want to take a placebo get on the vitamins.

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
There is nothing worth risking your health for, which is why some newbies are cautious about starting Finasteride, and rightfully so.

Rogaine and the like are obviously not the answer that advocates here would have you to believe (e.g. "ball-headed" Karl Malone).

Again, natural treatments include not only vitamins, but also minerals and herbal extracts, used internally and topically.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ukmale24 said:
But they can help the effects of male pattern baldness.

How great would this site be if all we ever spoke of was only FDA approved treatment for male pattern baldness ... not.

I don't get why, if you don't agree with something, move the f*ck on, no need to ridicule someone else's opinion, it's so pretentious.

Most of the guys here tried the supplement route so we know firsthand it doesn't work. The only way it will work is if your hair loss is due to a thyroid problem or some big deficiency, in which case you would notice a lot worse symptoms than hair loss too. As much as people try to plug supplements, they never are able to show pics as conclusive evidence.

Everyone is just looking out for you guys and trying to save you some time....and hair.

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
No. I would be willing to bet that most members of HairLossTalk.com have not tried herbal supplements. And one's success or failure with natural treatments is not contingent upon the availability of photos or studies.

Admittedly, from my experience and readings, internally, the right combination of herbs, vitamins, and minerals should slow hair loss for most; stop hair loss for many; and regrow hair for some/a few. The addition of a natural topical will, of course, increase the chances for success.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
hairhoper said:
Because this is a hairloss forum.

People are interested in treatments that combat male pattern baldness.

Vitamins do not.

So you think supplements will have no effect whatsoever? I'm not talking about stopping male pattern baldness dead in it's tracks,

None at all nada? not even slow things down by 1%? that's what i mean when i talk about the debate being polarised.

This might shock you but personally i don't think vitamins and supps are enough to stop hairloss for most people , although that doesn't mean they don't help and some studies do look promising.

Here's the deal kids, if you want to tackle hair loss, your best bang per buck is propecia, if you want to regrow hair your best bang per buck in minoxidil.

Although the more i read about propecia the more i'm convinced it's not something that should be used as a long term treatment, but should be okay to tide people over for a couple of years.

There are vitamins and supplements that have a good chance as helping as anciliary supplements, for example reducing TGF Beta and so on. If you have the money, i'd consider looking into some of these things, do the reading. See what feels right for you, by that i mean for example if you feel that your scalp is constantly inflamed look for stuff which reduces inflamation, if you have a history of coranary disease in your family and are going at the crown (chugalot style) try something that will help endothelial function.

If not in the grand scheme of things, minoxidil and finasteride should be enough.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
Why is it people need to polarise the effects of vitamins and supplements?
Still can't believe what your're reading - that Vitamins including other supplements absolutely do nothing for hair?

And may i add that most supplements do nothing for health at all except for a few like folic acid, Vit D calcium and a few others. That we even benefit from supplements are more of an exception in reality. It's hard to believe I know after decades of these "supplemens". If you're going to do some reading, do read the other side of the debate - the radicals who are exposing wholesale scams. The Reader's Digest if full of articles exposing the reality of things.

Here is an analogy: If a car was your food and the spark plug is the vitamin, you cannot take out the spark plug, put it in your hand and expect it to function like a spark plug. It will just be a piece of metal. Bottom line: Get your nutrients from FOOD.

Look at your finger nails. If they're defective, you may have some nutritional deficiencies/disorders that will affect your hair. Otherwise, don't expect supplements to help.

But here is the paradox. While one may be perfectly healthy, the balding scalp shows several indications of nutritional deficiencies.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here some more to be added to what I posted earlier.

A claim on vitamin A and maintenance of normal hair has already been assessed with an unfavourable outcome and the references cited for this claim did not provide any additional scientific data that could be used to substantiate the claim.

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/1754.htm

On the basis of the data presented, the Panel concludes that a cause and effect relationship has not been established between the dietary intake of vitamin E and maintenance of a normal scalp.

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/1816.htm

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
On the basis of the data presented, the Panel concludes that a cause and effect relationship has not been established between the dietary intake of vitamin E and maintenance of a normal scalp.

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/1816.htm

Out of interest what form of vitamin e was used in that study.

Was it the form used in the study i linked to earlier?

Probably tocotrrienols.