Nizoral Killed my Libido, Would Procepia as Well?

JeremyCensorship

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a twenty year old and I'm losing hair around my around the edges of my forehead and it's starting to progress pretty high up and I'd like to stop it. I didn't want to worry about getting a prescription so I tried to just use Nizoral as well as Nioxin (pointless), and just about a week after using Nizoral I realized my sex drive was dead, I couldn't get fully hard, and more than that I really lost my will to go out and be alive. I have read many users doubt that Nizoral could cause a loss of libido but you have to trust me on this, it disabled my dick. If I ever used it more than the recommended amount it would go as far to HURT my balls. I felt like I was causing more harm than good so after about a month so I stopped using that sh*t. It's been one week and I pretty much feel normal now.
Given that, are other anti androgens pretty much guaranteed to have the same effects on me? I know many just experience the loss of libido for a month or two, but if I started Procepia and two weeks later I started to lose my sex drive, it would be very difficult for me to continue taking it knowing that the I could making myself flaccid for life.
Thanks in advance guys. I'm really confused about what to do here.

Mestys

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but there is no way Nizoral can affect your sex drive. It's all in your head. Nizoral is just an anti dandruff shampoo, there is no evidence it even has any anti androgenic properties.

As for going on propecia, I'd say it's a bad idea, if you feel like you can get sexual side effects from an anti dandruff shampoo then you will not be in the right frame of mind to take a potent 5AR inhibitor.

beaner

Reaction score
Mestys said:
. Nizoral is just an anti dandruff shampoo, there is no evidence it even has any anti androgenic properties.

While I agree that using the shampoo probably will not have an effect on one's libido, you are quite incorrect with this statement. Ketoconazole, which is the main ingredient of Nizoral is an anti-androgen (as well as anti-fungal) and has been used to treat prostate cancer, although it is useful only in high oral doses.

As an antiandrogen, ketoconazole operates through at least two mechanisms of action. First, and most notably, high oral doses of ketoconazole (e.g. 400 mg 3x/day) block both testicular and adrenal androgen biosynthesis, leading to a reduction in circulating testosterone levels.[17] Ketoconazole produces this effect through inhibition of cytochrome P450 and 17,20-lyase, which are involved in the synthesis and degradation of steroids, including the precursors of testosterone. Due to its efficacy at reducing systemic androgen levels, ketoconazole has been used as a treatment for androgen-dependent prostate cancer.[18] Second, ketoconazole is an androgen receptor antagonist, competing with androgens such as testosterone and DHT for androgen receptor binding. This effect is thought to be quite weak, even with high oral doses of ketoconazole.[19]

Mestys

Established Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Anyway, blaming Nizoral for these side effects is absurd.

"I realized my sex drive was dead, I couldn't get fully hard, and more than that I really lost my will to go out and be alive."

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is really a perfect example of how powerful your mind can be. Just by reading something on the internet (that Nizoral can cause impotence) he actually convinced himself that it was happening, and ended up with total impotence and lost the will to live. This is a great reason why people should stay away from websites like Propeciahelp, because I believe this exact same thing happens WAY too often to people taking Finasteride.

Jeremy, do NOT take Propecia. You are clearly easily influenced by what you read on the internet, and I fear the same thing would happen from Propecia, regardless if the drug is actually causing side effects. Nizoral didn’t “disable your dickâ€￾, you did! Snap the hell out of it, dude. You keep telling yourself this lie and you will never get back to normal. See a psychiatrist if you can’t rationalize things yourself. A shampoo can’t cause impotence unless maybe you were drinking the stuff or injecting it into your veins.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
What Wuffer said.

There is absolutely zero evidence that Nizoral shampoo would cause ED, or affect your libido. It's fairly obvious that you have an overactive imagination...or something really IS wrong, but you're blaming it on the wrong thing.

If you REALLY do have a problem, then you need to go see a doctor. Don't equate a problem that you have to something that you did. I called in sick today because I felt like crap. Yesterday I had a Basketball game. I didn't call in and say "Playing Basketball made me sick". Why? Because Basketball wasn't why I was sick!!! It was the most recent thing that I did, but it wasn't the cause of my problem.

maximiliandreams

Established Member
Reaction score
Nizoral killed your dick..really?seriously? Dude you are 20 years old,right? Can i ask...i think that you are adequate,tell me..do you really believe,some shampoo can kill your dick..oh..come on dude .. i am not telling you that,you have no problems with your erection...you have problems,if you wouldn't,you wouldn't post this thread,but believe me,the problem is not from Nizoral !

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been around hair loss forums for 3 or 4 years now and I've heard some weird sh*t...guys claiming that drinking their own piss or rubbing it on their head cured their hair loss, guys claiming that not jerking off cured their hair loss, etc.. but I've never heard of someone having sexual sides from Nizoral.

I really don't think its possible man. I mean if I had even heard 5 people claim this I would say "oh ok maybe theres something to it" but..i've never heard of this. I took finasteride myself and quit because of sides that I got pretty much right away...I've been using nizoral (both 1% and 2%) for quite awhile now every other day and never had a problem

MisterMister

Established Member
Reaction score
This guy is trolling! There is no way Nizoral shampoo killed your sex drive. I think you just are a paranoid guy and overthinking can cause you to lose libido, being panicky too and anxiety can cause libido loss

:thumbdown2:

JeremyCensorship

Reaction score
Wuffer said:
This is really a perfect example of how powerful your mind can be. Just by reading something on the internet (that Nizoral can cause impotence) he actually convinced himself that it was happening, and ended up with total impotence and lost the will to live. This is a great reason why people should stay away from websites like Propeciahelp, because I believe this exact same thing happens WAY too often to people taking Finasteride.

Wuffler, I understand how you could come to that conclusion, but let me fill you in on some things. I had read about Procepia, and the side affects did make me nervous, and that, along with laziness and not wanting to get a prescription, is why I tried Nizoral. I had no idea that Nizoral could affect my libido any more than say drinking a glass of milk. I used it every other day for a few weeks until my testes actually started to ache, and that's when I decided to see if anyone else had similar side affects, and lo and behold, they did.
I am very aware that the brain is the most powerful sex organ; if difficulty in achieving a nice erection was the only side affect I noticed, I might buy your argument through some transitive property of me making a mental connection of Procepia to Nizoral, yadda yadda yadd, etc. However, that sh*t made my balls HURT. The only other times my nuts have been in pain was when they were stuck by someone. I really don't think my brain could conjure up an elaborate scheme that involves my balls bursting out in spontaneous pain.
All of that being said, I feel like a normal, virile male after not using Nizoral for a few weeks. f*** that sh*t, never again.

Dr J

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a twenty year old and I'm losing hair around my around the edges of my forehead and it's starting to progress pretty high up and I'd like to stop it. I didn't want to worry about getting a prescription so I tried to just use Nizoral as well as Nioxin (pointless), and just about a week after using Nizoral I realized my sex drive was dead, I couldn't get fully hard, and more than that I really lost my will to go out and be alive. I have read many users doubt that Nizoral could cause a loss of libido but you have to trust me on this, it disabled my dick. If I ever used it more than the recommended amount it would go as far to HURT my balls. I felt like I was causing more harm than good so after about a month so I stopped using that sh*t. It's been one week and I pretty much feel normal now.
Given that, are other anti androgens pretty much guaranteed to have the same effects on me? I know many just experience the loss of libido for a month or two, but if I started Procepia and two weeks later I started to lose my sex drive, it would be very difficult for me to continue taking it knowing that the I could making myself flaccid for life.
Thanks in advance guys. I'm really confused about what to do here.

Dear Jeremy: Don't listen to all of the idiots who ridiculed your notion that Nizoral caused you some type of erectile dysfunction. I am a retired doctor of 35 years. If these people had done their homework, they would have known that multiple studies have shown ketoconazole (which is the MAIN ingredient in Nizoral) CAN CAUSE ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION!!! The same thing happened to me. I knew before that this was a risk, but used it anyway. Just wanted you to know that it was not all in your head. You were right, they were wrong. Hope this gives you some comfort. It is one thing to answer concerns such as yours with an opinion. It is another thing entirely to answer with ridicule, and without facts and information. Sincerely yours, Dr. J

Bryant12

My Regimen
Reaction score
bro if that shampoo killed ur ED.. i can't imagine what finasteride. can do to you, you're obviously to sensitive to it. dont even try it

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
This sh*t is about as true as the pop ads saying hot b****s within 2 miles wanna f*** me

Orius

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nizoral did the same thing to me. I am extremely sensitive to medications. I normally need 1/4 the dose. When I used Nizoral shampoo, after the second time I lost all libido. I was so tired that I slept all the next day. Total brain fog. The day was a write off. I stopped using it and the symptoms went away.

There is a difference between oral and topical ketoconazole, sure, but that doesn't mean none is being absorbed transdermally. Also it clearly says on the box to not use it on broken skin (which a lot of his with seborrheic dermatitis have) for the very reason that the drug will absorb systemically. It's also contraindicated topically if you have liver problems -- so if none can enter the body systemically through the skin, then why the liver warning?

I will never use this stuff again. There are natural cures for dandruff that don't involve endocrine disruption!

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats it im gonna use ketoconazole 2% shampoo morning and Night now. Leave on for 20 min. Been using it once a day and it has reduced my shedding alot. So twice a day should be even better.

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Yes, all hair loss treatments will kill your libido. And seeing a balding head will too. So I don't know what else you can do.