Nizoral -> hair to dry problem (ketoconazol)

ryan82

Established Member
Reaction score
I have very, very, VERY dry hair after using Nizoral. Also my hair looks like a dry hay. I can't style it anymore. It is also very static.

What can i do to make my hair healthy again? I tried castrol oil, Argan oil, coconut oil, aloe vera gel. Nothing Helps...

Greetings!

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
2% Nizoral makes my hair the same - like dry hay as you say. Can't use the stuff. Try one of the fancy keto shampoos like Regenepure DR instead, and use a high quality shampoo/conditioner afterwards.

ryan82

Established Member
Reaction score
Does it make your hair stand up? "Uncurl"?
Yes i get curly,static, "The reallllly messy out of bed' Style

- - - Updated - - -

2% Nizoral makes my hair the same - like dry hay as you say. Can't use the stuff. Try one of the fancy keto shampoos like Regenepure DR instead, and use a high quality shampoo/conditioner afterwards.

I have tried DS LAB revita. Also the same problem, but less static and dry. But still i have very dry hair.. I use 1x in a week nizoral and 2x in a week Revita. Is Renegepure better than Revita

- - - Updated - - -

I shower my head only 3x a week.

- - - Updated - - -

I also eat more protein, and more water. Doesn't help to my hair.. MSM, Magnesium, biotin i swallow caps almost every day. My nails are very strong and grow amazing fast. Doesn't help with my hair to make it shiny, thick.. It is still dry HAY.. :(

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I haven't tried Revita so couldn't comment. Are you using a good moisturising/volumising conditioner after you use keto shampoos? I always do or my hair looks dry, thin and lifeless.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's a lot of kinks in Nizoral that make it unfit to be used as a hair loss shampoo. First, Nizoral is to be used once every 3-4 days, and then discontinue after eights weeks when the treatment was first used. And second, it's an anti-fungal shampoo, used to treat dandruff and fungal issues. Nizoral also has harsh cleansing agents and doesn't contain anything in it that's beneficial for the hair and scalp.

That's why it's best to use a Ketoconazole shampoo that's actually made fit for hair loss purposes. Ones specifically designed for hair loss purposes are Lipogaine Big Three Shampoo, Revita, and Regenepure DR. They also have many littles goodies in them that are beneficial for the hair and scalp, unlike Nizoral which doesn't have any.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of kinks in Nizoral that make it unfit to be used as a hair loss shampoo. First, Nizoral is to be used once every 3-4 days, and then discontinue after eights weeks when the treatment was first used. And second, it's an anti-fungal shampoo, used to treat dandruff and fungal issues. Nizoral also has harsh cleansing agents and doesn't contain anything in it that's beneficial for the hair and scalp.

That's why it's best to use a Ketoconazole shampoo that's actually made fit for hair loss purposes. Ones specifically designed for hair loss purposes are Lipogaine Big Three Shampoo, Revita, and Regenepure DR. They also have many littles goodies in them that are beneficial for the hair and scalp, unlike Nizoral which doesn't have any.

This only applies for regular treatment of dandruff/seborrhoeic dermatitis, my own dermatologist even told me I need to use Nizoral indefinitely once a week for prophylaxis against seborrheic dermatitis.

You're right though, only use Nizoral if you can tolerate it. I recognise that 2% Nizoral can be harsh but since clinical studies prove it's the most effective formulation against Androgenetic Alopecia then my recommendation would be this:

-Try using 2% Nizoral and then follow with a moisturising conditioner (leave said conditioner on the scalp for 2-3 minutes)

-If that proves too harsh, try stepping down to 1% Nizoral using the same conditioner afterwards,

-If the latter still causes dry hair/scalp or irritation due to sulphate sensitivity, then by all means use an alternative ketoconazole shampoo.

In my own experience, back in March 2015 when I used 2% Nizoral alone to to treat a relapse of seborrhoeic dermatitis, I did notice that my hair looked dry and limp.

Fast forward to 16 August 2015 when I implemented it as part of my Androgenetic Alopecia treatment regimen, twice weekly. I started using Tresemmé Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner immediately after each Nizoral use, leaving it in for 2-3 minutes and I had no such problem with dry hair like I did in the past. This conditioner contains aloe vera and avocado oil and is moisturising to the fullest extent. This is just my experience though, your mileage may vary.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
This only applies for regular treatment of dandruff/seborrhoeic dermatitis, my own dermatologist even told me I need to use Nizoral indefinitely once a week for prophylaxis against seborrheic dermatitis.

You're right though, only use Nizoral if you can tolerate it. I recognise that 2% Nizoral can be harsh but since clinical studies prove it's the most effective formulation against Androgenetic Alopecia then my recommendation would be this:

-Try using 2% Nizoral and then follow with a moisturising conditioner (leave said conditioner on the scalp for 2-3 minutes)

-If that proves too harsh, try stepping down to 1% Nizoral using the same conditioner afterwards,

-If the latter still causes dry hair/scalp or irritation due to sulphate sensitivity, then by all means use an alternative ketoconazole shampoo.

In my own experience, back in March 2015 when I used 2% Nizoral alone to to treat a relapse of seborrhoeic dermatitis, I did notice that my hair looked dry and limp.

Fast forward to 16 August 2015 when I implemented it as part of my Androgenetic Alopecia treatment regimen, twice weekly. I started using Tresemmé Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner immediately after each Nizoral use, leaving it in for 2-3 minutes and I had no such problem with dry hair like I did in the past. This conditioner contains aloe vera and avocado oil and is moisturising to the fullest extent. This is just my experience though, your mileage may vary.

Yes, indeed.

I'd be willing to upgrade to the 2% formula if goodies were added into it that's beneficial for the hair and scalp, but I don't because all the formulations with that concentration are filled with sulfates and other harsh detergents. I've already tried before using the 2% formula and then followed with a moisturizing conditioner. It still proved to be too harsh for me, so I stepped down to the 1% formula and have been happy with it since.

Other than that, thank you for the recommendations and sharing your experiences. :)

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's really strange but I used 2% nizoral for a few months once a week, I didn't feel any difference in my hair negatively. It didn't feel as harsh as posts made out. Maybe because I used it 1-2 times a week? I've dropped it for now as I think finasteride is enough. I'm not sure how much keto actually helps.

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
It's really strange but I used 2% nizoral for a few months once a week, I didn't feel any difference in my hair negatively. It didn't feel as harsh as posts made out. Maybe because I used it 1-2 times a week? I've dropped it for now as I think finasteride is enough. I'm not sure how much keto actually helps.

Same, I've only ever used it twice weekly as directed on the label. Even the clinical studies stated 2-4x weekly was enough to show a hair growth benefit better than daily use of 2% minoxidil. Which admittedly, like you said, probably isn't helping much, but I need to use it regardless as a prophylactic measure against seborrhoeic dermatitis so I figure if I'm buying it anyway I may as well use it twice instead of once a week as per my dermatologist's recommendation.

ryan82

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried Revita so couldn't comment. Are you using a good moisturising/volumising conditioner after you use keto shampoos? I always do or my hair looks dry, thin and lifeless.
Which conditioner do you use? I have now Revita conditioner and Castor oil / pure coconut oil.

- - - Updated - - -

I have using 2% keto. I thought that this was 2%. That is the reason why it is so dry! What must i do now to make my hair shiny / healty again? ":( Also i bought Revita again.Maybe Nizoral i will use when i have big inflammation.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely true. That what i also think. That is the reason the put 0.25% keto in Revita.

- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion this is good against dandruff, and a little bit against hair loss. But hair damage is big for people like me (sensitive hair type)

- - - Updated - - -

What is best product to use, for restoring thin, dry hair ?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same, I've only ever used it twice weekly as directed on the label. Even the clinical studies stated 2-4x weekly was enough to show a hair growth benefit better than daily use of 2% minoxidil. Which admittedly, like you said, probably isn't helping much, but I need to use it regardless as a prophylactic measure against seborrhoeic dermatitis so I figure if I'm buying it anyway I may as well use it twice instead of once a week as per my dermatologist's recommendation.

That's a good point. If you are prone to dermatitis, it's a nice addition to a hair loss regimen. Ah yes, there was a trial which said it was as effective as 2% Minoxidil. You sometimes get one off studies though which say things which may not necessarily be correct. A true accurate study should be able to be replicated to show validity. I think if there was a trial of Minoxidil V Keto V Placebo I think 2% Minoxidil would still show most benefit. It's only my opinion though but Minoxidil has a lot of trials and science backing it. Keto is less trials as a stand alone treatment although I'm sure it is anti DHT, anti inflammatory to some extent at least. You could argue though that Keto will maintain more hair and Minoxidil may give more growth initially.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
What is best product to use, for restoring thin, dry hair ?

You can try using Jason Thin To Thick shampoo and conditioner. There's also Toppik's shampoo and conditioner. I've used both products I think they're great, I alternate between the two.

ryan82

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Agustin. I bought it now :)

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Which conditioner do you use? I have now Revita conditioner and Castor oil / pure coconut oil.

I use OGX Biotin/Collagen conditioner. I look like this when I get out of the shower:

qtVXImo.jpg

But honestly I don't think it matters too much as long as it's good quality and moisturising.

ryan82

Established Member
Reaction score

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah it makes my feel thicker and healthier. Like I said, keto shampoos tend to dry my hair out so I need a moisturising conditioner. I don't use any oils.

ryan82

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah it makes my feel thicker and healthier. Like I said, keto shampoos tend to dry my hair out so I need a moisturising conditioner. I don't use any oils.
How many time in a week do you use it?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Regenepure DR every other day and conditioner every day.

robot_hair

Reaction score
My hair is dry already, so Nizoral really dries it out and makes it look thinner. I find that a good jojoba oil conditioner (and even pure jojoba oil) can help a lot. I may also order one of the sulfate-free ketoconazole shampoos mentioned in this thread.