Newly Discovered Factor in Androgenetic Alopecia. The Cure is Near?

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: A recently discovered new factor in AA, the cure is near :)

squeegee said:
Dutasteride is a hell of a drug.. I had my experience with it.. totally destroyed my hairline. Finasteride is way more safe and potent.

hmmm, every1 says dutasteride destoys the hairline. i'm doing my best to get this shed under control. squeegee i take both dutasteride and finasteride btw.

2020 i have bought both versions

Saint-Loup

Reaction score

:eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic: :spam: :banned: :banned:
please STOP FLOODING!!
there are tens of thousands of threads on duta and fina on the web. you can also use the PM to communicate.

you are flooding the thread

outlander

Reaction score

Cody333 said:
Boldy said:
any news guys?

who of you, think that the CRTH2 pathway DOES NOT WORK?

or something

Well we won't know if works unti it is blocked, are you having second thoughts about doing the testing? or are you not able to get OC000459 now?
What is OC000459? ;)

Reaction score

I am also going to join in using Cetirizine. I have hay fever anyway so its usefull for that as well.

I also found a dutch post from 2005:
""Hallo allemaal,

Probeer Cetirizine. Dit is een medicijn wat normaal gesproken bij allergiën wordt gebruikt. Maar dagelijks gebruik van dit medicijn kan verbluffende resultaten opleveren voor de ontwikkeling van het hoofdhaar.

Cetirizine is gewoon bij de apotheek zonder recept Telogen Effluvium verkrijgen."
http://www.nationaalgezondheidsforum.nl ... .php?t=300

Translated it says: "Try Cetrizine. It is a medicine against allergic reactions but using it daily it gives amazing results for the development of hair."
This is a post made in 2005... so this guy must have had some great results!

Anyway using a overdose of this stuff is not smart but I think 10 to 20mg is very safe since hay fever medicines are never that heavy.

"Effect of cetirizine on mast cell-mediator release and cellular traffic during the cutaneous late-phase reaction.
Charlesworth EN, Kagey-Sobotka A, Norman PS, Lichtenstein LM.
Source
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Good Samaritan Hospital, Baltimore, Md 21239.
Abstract
A new H1 antihistamine, cetirizine, was studied to determine its effects on mediators and cellular infiltration during the cutaneous late-phase response (LPR). Ten ragweed-allergic subjects, who had previously demonstrated a cutaneous LPR, were examined in a double-blind, crossover study. Either cetirizine, 20 mg, or placebo was administered orally once daily for 2 days before and the morning of placement of a skin chamber overlying an unroofed heat/suction-induced blister to which was added antigen or buffer. Skin test erythema was significantly reduced by cetirizine at 15 minutes, 2 hours, and 4 hours by 56%, 40%, and 39%, respectively (all, p less than or equal to 0.01), but by 6 and at 8 hours, the cutaneous erythema was not significantly lessened. Histamine release was not altered by cetirizine treatment, but prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) production, which peaked at 3 to 5 hours, was clearly reduced by cetirizine treatment, being lower at all time points during the reaction; this was significant by analysis of variance (p less than or equal to 0.04). The inhibition was most marked during the fifth hour of the reaction when there was a 50% suppression of the PGD2 level by cetirizine (0.193 ng/ml to 0.075 ng/ml [p less than or equal to 0.03]). The most dramatic effect of cetirizine was attenuation of the inflammatory cell migration into the chamber. Eosinophil infiltration was decreased by about 75% during hours 6, 7, and 8 (p less than or equal to 0.04), whereas the number of neutrophils was reduced by the same magnitude at the same times (p less than or equal to 0.04).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)`

Experienced Member
Reaction score

yes but cetrizine == Zyrtec. They have commercials running all day and I'm sure it's a very popular drug that millions of people take. How come no one is reporting hair growth? :dunno:
You're not supposed to take it daily are you?

Reaction score

Cetirizine is not only used for hay fever but also general allergic reactions. I am confident that it can be used on a daily basis. Although not more than 10mg. I have to check for 20mg.

The pharmacy website says (translated with google translate... I can confirm the translation because I speak dutch):
When to use?
Have you always suffer from allergies, take it every day.
Do you occasionally suffer, take it only if you have an allergic reaction, or an hour before you expect to get an allergic reaction. For example, when visiting someone with a pet you're allergic to.
If you suffer from side effects such as sedation and drowsiness, you can use the tablet is best taken in the evening. You can also use half a tablet in the morning and half a tablet in the evening. The risk of side effects is smaller.

After reading a dutch pharmacy website it also seems that:
- it is safe to directly stop with the use of certizine when you want to
- it doesn't have strange effects in combination with other medicins

More info: (use google translate) http://www.apotheek.nl/Medische_informa ... 4&rId=1060

They have commercials running all day and I'm sure it's a very popular drug that millions of people take. How come no one is reporting hair growth?

I think... that is because if I read the report correctly, 20mg was used to get 50% suppression of the PGD2 level instead of the normal daily advised 10mg. Most people won't use it on a daily basis for a long period so that could also be a reason that no one would be reporting hair growth. The very minimal group that is using it on a daily basis and for a long period is perhaps too small to expect people to scream it out loud on forums I guess.

As said I found one guy online which posted in 2005 that it was very good against hairloss. (my above post)

Reaction score

I am going to ask someone... Let's see if it works. I am going to contact a Professor which was involved in the research. Only to ask his opinion on this. I found his e-mail online, maybe he finds it interesting himself. :)

edit: Done and emailed! Will keep you posted... hopefully he will respond :)

Experienced Member
Reaction score

fighting-baldness said:
I think... that is because if I read the report correctly, 20mg was used to get 50% suppression of the PGD2 level instead of the normal daily advised 10mg.

hmm that's true..... One pill of Zyrtec actually contains only 10 mg.

fighting-baldness said:
Most people won't use it on a daily basis for a long period so that could also be a reason that no one would be reporting hair growth. The very minimal group that is using it on a daily basis and for a long period is perhaps too small to expect people to scream it out loud on forums I guess.

all right then I guess. More people should try it then. You can buy it straight from amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Zyrtec-Allergy-Ta ... B000X1IZD0

3 month supply would run you about $50...

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I decided to start using Zyrtec 10 days or so, when my head itch became really bad and I saw your posts. THe day after my itch was down to practically zero. However, since yesterday my itch went back although I am still on this. NOt as high as before, but I feel it itching and of course, since itch is 90% correlated with hair loss, yesterday and today I had more shed than usual.

So i mixed few pills with ethanol yesterday and put some of it on my scalp. Someone mentioned that it gets absorbed quickly, which I find quite true. But today I had itch.

I am going to up it to 2 pills orally from now on, and see how that goes.

By the way, when I get scalp itch , I get other body hair itch in some areas. Not as bad as the scalp. Also my scalp itch is not exclusive to the male pattern baldness affected area, I have itch on the sides and the back...

Experienced Member
Reaction score

waynakyo said:
I decided to start using Zyrtec 10 days or so, when my head itch became really bad and I saw your posts. THe day after my itch was down to practically zero. However, since yesterday my itch went back although I am still on this. NOt as high as before, but I feel it itching and of course, since itch is 90% correlated with hair loss, yesterday and today I had more shed than usual.

So i mixed few pills with ethanol yesterday and put some of it on my scalp. Someone mentioned that it gets absorbed quickly, which I find quite true. But today I had itch.

I am going to up it to 2 pills orally from now on, and see how that goes.

By the way, when I get scalp itch , I get other body hair itch in some areas. Not as bad as the scalp. Also my scalp itch is not exclusive to the male pattern baldness affected area, I have itch on the sides and the back...

shedding could be a good sign!

K

Kirby

Just twigged that cetirizine is the generic name for Zyrtec. Zyrtec gave me hallucinations(!) back in 2004, when I was using it daily for hayfever that summer... My GP at the time said that wasn't an uncommon side effect. Be careful about taking too much cetirizine, guys.

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Kirby said:
Just twigged that cetirizine is the generic name for Zyrtec.

twigged: past participle, past tense of twig (Verb)

Verb:
1) Understand or realize something.
2) Perceive.

all right :innocent:

Kirby said:
Zyrtec gave me hallucinations(!) back in 2004, when I was using it daily for hayfever that summer... My GP at the time said that wasn't an uncommon side effect. Be careful about taking too much cetirizine, guys.

mhm I don't think it's that common.... it's a very popular drug plus it's available over the counter! :)

Experienced Member
Reaction score

These reviews indicate that PGD2 is carefully associated with the pathogenesis of allergic illnesses, for example bronchial asthma, allergic rhinitis, and atopic dermatitis.

well guess what: cetrizine can actually be used to treat atopic dermatitis....
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8430920

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

2020 said:
These reviews indicate that PGD2 is carefully associated with the pathogenesis of allergic illnesses, for example bronchial asthma, allergic rhinitis, and atopic dermatitis.

well guess what: cetrizine can actually be used to treat atopic dermatitis....
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8430920

so surprise.. Inflammatory condition!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

Saint-Loup said:
squeegee said:
Nizoral just like Miconazole Nitrate Inhibit platelet cyclooxygenase which lower inflammation and PGD2 at the same time. High inflammation= high PGD2.
It mainly acts by blocking androgen receptors. :)

Ketoconazole Suppresses Prostaglandin E2 -Induced Cyclooxygenase-2
Expression in Human Epidermoid Carcinoma A-431 Cells
Naoko Kanda and Shinichi Watanabe
Department of Dermatology, Teikyo University, School of Medicine,
Japan

Reprint requests to: Dr. Naoko Kanda, Department of Dermatology,
Teikyo University, School of Medicine, 11-1, Kaga-2, Itabashi-Ku,
Tokyo 173-8605, Japan. Email: nmk@med.teikyo-u.ac.jp

Cyclooxygenase-2 is a key enzyme in the conversion of arachidonic acid
to prostaglandins. The overexpression of cyclooxygenase-2 has been
reported in skin cancer cells, and may be involved in carcinogenesis.
Prostaglandin E2 , the end product of cyclooxygenase-2-induced
catalysis, autoamplifies the cyclooxygenase-2 expression.
It is
suggested that an anti-mycotic drug, ketoconazole may inhibit
carcinogenesis. We herein investigated if ketoconazole may inhibit
prostaglandin E2 -induced cyclooxygenase-2 expression in human
epidermoid carcinoma A-431 cells. Ketoconazole suppressed
prostaglandin E2 -induced cyclooxygenase-2 protein and mRNA expression
and promoter activation in A-431; the suppressive effects of
ketoconazole were counteracted by cyclic adenosine monophosphate
analog. Analyses using deleted or mutated cyclooxygenase-2 promoters
revealed that cyclic adenosine monophosphate response element (- 59 to
- 53 bp) on the promoter was involved in prostaglandin E2 -induced
stimulation and ketoconazole-induced inhibition of the promoter
activity. Electrophoretic mobility shift assays indicated that cyclic
adenosine monophosphate response element binding protein and
activating transcription factor-1 may constitutively bind to cyclic
adenosine monophosphate response element on cyclooxygenase-2 promoter.
Prostaglandin E2 increased the proportion of phosphorylated forms
among total bound cyclic adenosine monophosphate response element
binding protein/activating transcription factor-1, and the effect was
suppressed by ketoconazole. Prostaglandin E2 induced the
phosphorylation of cyclic adenosine monophosphate response element
binding protein and activating transcription factor-1, and the
phosphorylation was suppressed by cyclic adenosine
monophosphate-dependent protein kinase (protein kinase A) inhibitor,
indicating protein kinase A-mediated phosphorylation. Ketoconazole
suppressed the prostaglandin E2 -induced phosphorylation of cyclic
adenosine monophosphate response element binding protein/activating
transcription factor-1. Prostaglandin E2 increased intracellular
cyclic adenosine monophosphate level by activating adenylate cyclase
in A-431, and the increase was suppressed by ketoconazole. These
results suggest that ketoconazole may suppress prostaglandin E2
-induced cyclooxygenase-2 expression by inhibiting the cyclic
adenosine monophosphate signal in A-431, and stress its anti-cancer
effect.

Reaction score

I must say I have taken a lot of hay fever medicines.... I personally have not experienced side effects.. I am not sure if there is any different between the brands that offer cetrizine... have to find that out as well. Perhaps you could try out a different brand...

Side effects research (Zyrtec):
http://www.rxlist.com/zyrtec-drug/side- ... ctions.htm (in the early paragraph they say they have also tested with 20mg).

A good thing is not much more suppression than 50% is needed. If bald people have 3 times more PGD2, 50% suppression is getting really close to the normal situation. Let's say normal is 50, than complete baldies (or also people who are getting bald? not sure) are 150 and after cetrizine the levels are 75.

Saint-Loup

Reaction score

squeegee said:
Saint-Loup said:
squeegee said:
Nizoral just like Miconazole Nitrate Inhibit platelet cyclooxygenase which lower inflammation and PGD2 at the same time. High inflammation= high PGD2.
It mainly acts by blocking androgen receptors. :)

Ketoconazole Suppresses Prostaglandin E2 -Induced Cyclooxygenase-2
Expression in Human Epidermoid Carcinoma A-431 Cells
Naoko Kanda and Shinichi Watanabe
So you are implying that Ketoconazole does not act by blocking dht?

Furthermore PGE2 is required for the growth, it's a bit contradictory.

ohmanohno

Established Member
Reaction score

I skimmed over the last few pages and I take it people are taking cetrizine both orally and topically for hairloss?

Reaction score

Kirby said:
Just twigged that cetirizi is the generic name for Zyrtec. Zyrtec gave me hallucinations(!) back in 2004, when I was using it daily for hayfever that summer... My GP at the time said that wasn't an uncommon side effect. Be careful about taking too much cetirizine, guys.

What kind of doses did you use for hay fever? 10/20 or more