New Study: Topical Cetirizine For Androgenetic Alopecia Shows Promise

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have any before/after pictures? I'd like to see the effects
Cetrizine doesn’t work in alcohol based solutions. It needs to be water. Sounds like it’s the neogenic doing the work, or did you add something else in to your that may have helped?

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cetrizine doesn’t work in alcohol based solutions. It needs to be water. Sounds like it’s the neogenic doing the work, or did you add something else in to your that may have helped?

Slightly feel like i am repeating myself but based on the study that has shown cetirizine's effectiveness, i dont think it is the case that cetirizine doesnt work in ethanol. In the study they used a solution with 96% ethanol. That is my interpretation at least. It may be the case that cet does degrade in ethanol but i am making batches every few days so hopefully this will help.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
But the study done, that you can find on pubmed, used Alcohol based solution.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
But the study done, that you can find on pubmed, used Alcohol based solution.
I shall tag you in the thread where this is discussed and will also attach screen shots of some comments made here.

Attachments

• B580DF19-8F2E-4BED-B7D0-0D1D76E81B6D.png
    B580DF19-8F2E-4BED-B7D0-0D1D76E81B6D.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 488
  • 2E0A97DE-D08B-41DD-AE75-3154E1C49A20.png
    2E0A97DE-D08B-41DD-AE75-3154E1C49A20.png
    228 KB · Views: 421

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Slightly feel like i am repeating myself but based on the study that has shown cetirizine's effectiveness, i dont think it is the case that cetirizine doesnt work in ethanol. In the study they used a solution with 96% ethanol. That is my interpretation at least. It may be the case that cet does degrade in ethanol but i am making batches every few days so hopefully this will help.

It's actually really unclear what they used. I read both their cetirizine studies and couldn't understand for the life of me what their solvent was. You could email one of the authors and ask.

Or just get some desloratadine which is alcohol stable instead.

Keisi92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does oral cetrizine also help against hairloss. I have had a problem 5 months ago thanks to an allergy of some sort. The Doctor is sure i have an allergy because I have a high Ige count, but they can't pinpoint what it is and prescribed me an antihistamine that should help. As of today for a month I will be using agelmin which contains cetrizine dihydrochloride and wanted to know if it would also help hairloss.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does oral cetrizine also help against hairloss. I have had a problem 5 months ago thanks to an allergy of some sort. The Doctor is sure i have an allergy because I have a high Ige count, but they can't pinpoint what it is and prescribed me an antihistamine that should help. As of today for a month I will be using agelmin which contains cetrizine dihydrochloride and wanted to know if it would also help hairloss.
You will need to much more than the 10mg oral per day . If you apply 2 ml of the 1:/: lotion you will get 20mg per day direct to the scalp . For oral route you might be need to take 40mg or more per day

jgray201

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's actually really unclear what they used. I read both their cetirizine studies and couldn't understand for the life of me what their solvent was. You could email one of the authors and ask.

Or just get some desloratadine which is alcohol stable instead.

I am going to trial a new vehicle for the cetirizine. I think it has been effective but i am interested to see if there is any difference with a non-ethanol solution. It would be easier as i can then make batches for a bit longer.
I am going to try something like the following:
24ml solution
480 mg cetirizine
18 ml distilled water
4 ml PPG (i know it can be harsh but seems to be ok with my scalp)
2 ml DMSO

Should last me 10-12 days
Any thoughts? Will le you know how it goes.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am going to trial a new vehicle for the cetirizine. I think it has been effective but i am interested to see if there is any difference with a non-ethanol solution. It would be easier as i can then make batches for a bit longer.
24ml solution
480 mg cetirizine
18 ml distilled water
2 ml DMSO

Why the DMSO ?
thanks

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
24ml solution
480 mg cetirizine
18 ml distilled water
2 ml DMSO

Yeah not a bad solution. You might need the DMSO for penetration as ethanol is the usual "penetration enhancer" we use and without that who knows how much a pure water solution will penetrate.

Keep in mind that cetirizine is functionally a "downstream" solution which only at best "mops up" or acts as a "barrier" against the damage induced by androgens.

If you really want to stop androgenic alopecia, it's much more ideal to block the androgens.

However, a combination of a good antihistamine with minoxidil could give surprising results in some men with not too aggressive loss.

Ie. Add 1-2% desloratadine to Kirkland minoxidil 5% and apply 2 mL twice daily.

I bet for some people that would be pretty adequate to at least slow, halt, or possibly even give some regrowth. I wouldn't count on it for me though of course. I'm more aggressive than that.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah not a bad solution. You might need the DMSO for penetration as ethanol is the usual "penetration enhancer" we use and without that who knows how much a pure water solution will penetrate.

Keep in mind that cetirizine is functionally a "downstream" solution which only at best "mops up" or acts as a "barrier" against the damage induced by androgens.

If you really want to stop androgenic alopecia, it's much more ideal to block the androgens.

However, a combination of a good antihistamine with minoxidil could give surprising results in some men with not too aggressive loss.

Ie. Add 1-2% desloratadine to Kirkland minoxidil 5% and apply 2 mL twice daily.

I bet for some people that would be pretty adequate to at least slow, halt, or possibly even give some regrowth. I wouldn't count on it for me though of course. I'm more aggressive than that.
I thought that you could only use cet in distilled water?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also looked into DMSO for topical l-Carnitine tartrate. sh*t is so expensive. I’m just gonna throw it in with the stemox.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
@IdealForehead ive also decided to get a heap of BIMAT from all day chemist and trial a small amount of the area of my part that is widening he most for a 6-8months. You are someone whose advice I trust completely. What growth stims aside from minoxidil would you rate? I think if I can try the needling I will, but otherwise don’t hear rave reviews about stemox/adenosine/AHK-cu. I need something that will force my hair out of this weird cycle, so it needs to be some kind of vasodilator/follicle and/or stem cell proliferatoty product.