New School finasteride/Propecia User Support Group

menace

Reaction score
fromchicago said:
How's everyone doing?

problems? progress?

so far, all is gravy. to be honest, the number of visible hairs i lose a days has dramatically fallen. nearly 3 weeks in at this point...

no side to report other than a strange ache in my left ball yesterday. seems to have disappeared as quick as it came. all sexual functions are as normal though... sex drive is through the roof as usual also.

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
Age 23

I started finasteride about 2 months ago. I was on it about 8 days before I had severe side effects (less sensation, low sex drive, PAIN in testicles).

I stopped for a few days then restarted on .25mg EOD and slowly worked my way back up to 0.5 mg daily, which is where I plan to stay.

Results thus far:

Decreased shedding in shower currently. I had a week of bad shedding. I have a region of diffuse thinning at my right temple that seems to have "evened out" and my crown hasn't gotten worse. Overall, I feel as though my scalp is less irritable. I still occasionally experience testicle pain that resolves in a few minutes. My sex drive is adequate although I don't feel as though it is as noticeable as it used to be. I have had zero problems in the sack since the original 8-day side effect onset.

Overall, I am pleased and hope that I can see some good results on 0.5 mg. I also hope that being on 0.5 mg will allow me to increase to 1mg successfully for a year or so when finasteride stops working for me.

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
Why do you anticipate it not working in a year? studies show hair count above baseline on average after 5 years.

fadgus

Reaction score
Meds: Finpecia (.25mg) - Starting 9/22/08 (.5mg) - Stating 10/6/08
Nizoral 1% about 3 times a week (been using this for years)

Sides: Brain fog the first few days, and testicle ache like once or twice for a few minutes.

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score

Started Proscar 5mg (I cut the pills into 4) on September 19, 2008. Soon I plan on adding the nizoral to the mix but I hear it isn't available in Canada anymore?

I have a receiting hairline at and above the temples and recently it has started to thin out on top around the crown and in the front. Love the look of a receiting hairline, but I hate that it's moving on towards a NW3 or worse. See my pics in the "Die Hard Hairline thread.

No sides what so ever..Alot of peoples side I think are a result of them overthinking and looking for the sides. I have a positive attitude and am excited that I've finally made the choice to do something about my hairloss since I've been obsessing over it since it started when I was 16.

Good Idea for a thread!! we should start posting pictures of our progress here.

-DH

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
I will summarize my pics neatly in here once I get a decent interval. Tomorrow is 6 weeks for me. Another 6, and we'll take a real good look.

Regarding nizoral, you can get 1% from any chain store here, walmart, albertson's, target -- I'd just order it online from them, should make it to canada i would think.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... al&x=0&y=0

I honestly love nizoral -- makes the scalp really healthy. The way I look at it, it enforces a good synthesis w/ the finasteride; it fixes and prevents a number of variables that could cause finasteride not to work as well such as inflation.

I'm taking MSM and Multivitamins for a little extra push too.

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
fromchicago said:
I will summarize my pics neatly in here once I get a decent interval. Tomorrow is 6 weeks for me. Another 6, and we'll take a real good look.

Regarding nizoral, you can get 1% from any chain store here, walmart, albertson's, target -- I'd just order it online from them, should make it to canada i would think.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... al&x=0&y=0

I honestly love nizoral -- makes the scalp really healthy. The way I look at it, it enforces a good synthesis w/ the finasteride; it fixes and prevents a number of variables that could cause finasteride not to work as well such as inflation.

I'm taking MSM and Multivitamins for a little extra push too.

It's Hilarious I was about to ask you where you were from...lol. It turns out I was wrong about the nizoral in Canada though, it's also available at wal-mart and shoppers drug mart in 2%. I'm going to start on it soon.

-DH

EDIT: Just swung by Wal-mart and picked up a 3 month supply (well, a 120 ml bottle) for less than 10 bucks. I thought it was a lot more than that.

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
good for you. a little bit goes a long way. above i said "inflation" when I meant "inflammation." fwiw. must have the shitty economy on my mind.

teenagehandmodel

Reaction score
hi, just starting 0.5 mg finasteride (1/8th proscar)
I was wondering if it was even worth it though cause i heard it doesnt prevent the hairline from receding and thats the only place my hair is thining.

Reaction score

finasteride start date: 10/4/2008

additional regimen: Nizoral 2% or 1%

Taking 1- 0.5mg Cipla finasteride daily, thus far no sides.

menace

Reaction score
teenagehandmodel said:
hi, just starting 0.5 mg finasteride (1/8th proscar)
I was wondering if it was even worth it though cause i heard it doesnt prevent the hairline from receding and thats the only place my hair is thining.

it does thicken and improve the hairline. plenty of people on here can testify.

menace

Reaction score
teenagehandmodel said:
ahh true thats good
hows it working for you so far

only been on it a month so far. there is a noticeable reduction in shedding though. i should be able to give a better answer at the 3 month mark.

rudyyr

Reaction score

finasteride start date: 10/7/2008

Regimen: .5mg Cipla Finpecia daily.
Nizoral 1%

Side Effects: I had a very brief testicle pain..very slight..

I am using it for my hairline which is receding on the temple area and on the crown(diffuse thinner). Hair is pretty thick just want to maintain and get thicker hairline if possible..we'll see

TianCross

Reaction score
Hi guys - just ordered my first batch of finpecia... this time round!

I started it about a year ago but then my finances, or lack of, meant that I had to stop which undid all the good work. From what I remember the first time there was noticable reduction in shedding - especially noticable after a shower. That was especially encouraging for me as I have long hair and it really sucks to have to pull it out of the plug hole.

As for side effects the only thing I got was an increased sex drive! Lets hope it's as good this time round...

Oh and would any of you guys recommend adding rogaine? I'm receeding at the temples mainly and am in two minds as to whether I should add it or not...

TianCross

Reaction score
Errrm from what I remember it must've been about six months - But although Ididn'tsee much regrowth in that time there was a definate reduction in sheddnig...

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
Now that my hair is growing back from shaving it down to the skin one week after starting finasteride, I can really really notice the shedding that everyone seems to freak out over. Massive this spot on the crown..I'm going to see if I can take a pic and upload it as a good reference point for booking my progress. Nice to know the finasteride is doing what it's supposed to though.

-DH