NEW *PICS* of my Telogen Effluvium or male pattern baldness

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
legalot,
i wasn't trying to describe any thinning in diameter of the hair falling out. and mostly i do not loose short hairs (definitely not short like vellus hairs) i would say it definitely is not thinning either towards the bulb ot the other end. and most of what i loose is as long as the area of the head where it comes from...in other words, shorter hairs are lost from the sides and back (2 inches maybe) because that is how long the hair on the sides and back is. The top loses mostly hairs about 3 or 4 inches long cause that is how long they are mostly up there...though sometimes a 1 or 2 inch hair also falls out of the top.

it does sound like you know a little about what the look of the falling out hair can tell me.

is the hair not getting thinner when it falls out indicitive of not being male pattern baldness, or is there just different patterns in which it goes?

basically is the fact that the hair is not getting thinner mean i need to explore other causes for the hairloss, or is it still likley male pattern baldness?

wotsthedeal

Reaction score
I think the overall pattern is more indicative of the type of hair loss than the physical characteristics of individual hairs. Individual hairs can absolutely be miniaturized by factors other than male pattern baldness. For starters, all hair miniaturizes when it enters the catogen phase (in between anagen and telogen). So if you have a chronic telogen effluvium, seeing short, thin hairs could be simply a result of a new hair growing, then falling out quickly due to the Telogen Effluvium. Miniaturized hair does not guarantee that you have male pattern baldness. How is your diet, chew? An inadequate diet can cause miniaturized hairs.

truking10

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys i didnt know my life style may be hurting my hair but to be honest i have become soooooo lazy, i have a horrible diet

heres my average day for the last year or so
wake up aroung 12
no breakfast
fastfood at 2
junk food for snack
and probably fast food for dinner
then go out drinking beer

HairyPotter

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at the top of your head, it looks alot like male pattern baldness.

You said your hair line had some thinning/getting lighter, well thats male pattern baldness. I think you might be in denial about your situation and just hoping that its T.E.

But its better to realize what you have sooner so you could treat it ASAP.

Maybe Im wrong but that looks like male pattern baldness to me.

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
my diet isn't great, but if anything it is better than it used to be (when no hair was falling out) and really, it isn't too bad. limited meats, a fair amount of veg, not much fast food, i take vitamins....
i would be exstatic (sp?) if a better diet will keep my hair on my head, but i am afraid my diet isn't bad enough to probably be the culprit...

any thoughts?

Some_Guy

Reaction score
TheBaldingMenace said:
Yup it definitely looks like Telogen Effluvium to me too. male pattern baldness follows an obvious pattern. Your thinning is diffuse and varried.

How does one diagnose Telogen Effluvium? Any solutions for it?

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
it seems from my research so far, there is no clear answer to how to diagnose Telogen Effluvium...and I guess a diagnosis of Telogen Effluvium doesn't rule out male pattern baldness occurring concurrently or even being the instigator of the Telogen Effluvium...

does that sound confusing, cause it is to me?

Some attempts at diagnosing it include:

The pull test.
Examination of the pattern or lack there of.
Maybe examinaion of the actual hairs that fall out.
A biopsy of some of the offending hair.

As far as treatment....uh....l?

So anyone else with a good answer on how to diagnose or treat Telogen Effluvium, I would appreciate it too!

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
maybe someone has a good recomendation of a vitamin regiment that might accelerate recovery from Telogen Effluvium...then we could try it, and if it didn't work go back to the male pattern baldness treatment?

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
chew said:
maybe someone has a good recomendation of a vitamin regiment that might accelerate recovery from Telogen Effluvium...then we could try it, and if it didn't work go back to the male pattern baldness treatment?

Take l-lysine

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
i'll give it a shot.

also a little update on my particular situation:

it seems that i have a large number of shorter hairs coming in...they are about 1/2 inch at this point and appear to be the same thickness as other hairs on my head. they are most noticible around the front, but that is probably because that is th eonly place i can really look for them.

could this be:
1. evidence of it being male pattern baldness instead of Telogen Effluvium
2. hair growing back from Telogen Effluvium
3. something else

if you have any thoughts on what i might be able to ell from them...particular appearance that makes one of the above more likely or not...please chime in.

thanks