New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Reaction score
yep.. and would probably be missing spots on the pumpkin.. but looks less painful? Jacob?

Not sure about less painful as I haven't used that length roller..but it's not as irritating as the vibrating roller. In other words..and yes, I'm saying this again...if you're looking for the most damage and irritation- use a(one of the more expensive) vibrating roller. I'm still rotating between the pen and the vibrating roller- the roller is just a .5 though.

Dermapen- ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch- not so bad after 15 mins or so
Vibrating dermaroller- ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh irritating irritating numb numb numb for up to half an hour(worse with longer needles?)

- - - Updated - - -

OK, there seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding names for the various devices.

Does anyone have a electrically operated device that has a 9-12 needles going in and out really fast? (this is called a Dermapen by a lot of people)

Yes. If you've ever seen the vids of 'em being used..they can cover a decent-sized area pretty fast. Sure..may take a bit longer than a roller, but thankfully we're not doing this every day.

- - - Updated - - -

I just ordered a Dermapen from China. :x

Do you switch needle cartridge for every use, like they recommend?

No..I'm not using them till they're worn out or bent...but I do change it aftera dozen+ uses. I use a separate cartridge for certain sections of my face(length adjustment not as long) and do pretty much the same with that one. Actually I'll then use the face one on my scalp for awhile too after the dozen+ facial uses..

closetmetrosexual

Established Member
Reaction score
not worth it for only 9-12 needles..not worth it...just get one from OwnDoc and do it manually works really nice and it's not painful..just takes a bit longer

What makes you say that?
Have you tried a Dermapen?

- - - Updated - - -

No..I'm not using them till they're worn out or bent...but I do change it aftera dozen+ uses.

Excellent. I was fearing that I'd end up 'rolling' myself into the poorhouse, if I had to switch needles every time.

Do you sterilise the needles, though? If so, how?

Oh, and which device do you have exactly?

This is the one I ordered:
e6959d34-763d-48b0-b9ff-c3f03824b0a4.jpg

TMNK

Established Member
Reaction score
6th roll done. It hurts like hell, and the pain is getting worse for each time. But I will continue till summer to see if there is results or not.

Liquidbanana

My Regimen
Reaction score
TMNK;[URL="tel:[URL="tel:1156580" said:
1156580[/URL]"]1156580[/URL]]6th roll done. It hurts like hell, and the pain is getting worse for each time. But I will continue till summer to see if there is results or not.

This begs the question from me...the more we roll, is it supposed to hurt less? Or more?

Because I am 1 roll behind TMNK and my rolls have progressively hurts less...even though I bleed A LOT MORE.

TMNK

Established Member
Reaction score

This begs the question from me...the more we roll, is it supposed to hurt less? Or more?

Because I am 1 roll behind TMNK and my rolls have progressively hurts less...even though I bleed A LOT MORE.

I think it's because my skin was a bit sore from last week I rolled. But people heal differently, so I hope my skin gets more used to it by time. Listen to loud music helps a bit though.

BeliefISKEY

Established Member
Reaction score
Update: so it's been a month again, and I see a lot of vellus hair everywhere on my scalp (I've always been a pure diffuser).

It could be useful for me, if they get a little more visible, I could use dermmatch to coat them and make them appear thicker.

Maybe it's all dermarolling do? Give you vellus hair that don't grow much thanks to the wounding?

Nope, guys have turned vellus into terminals via Dermarolling already. This is not an overnight process.

chemicalbrother

Established Member
Reaction score
...dermapen is wayyyy less painful....I have one from OwnDoc, just a little guy and I use it to 'warm" up the areas I'm gonna get at it with the roller...

...I also ordered a 80 pin DermaStamp from OwnDoc...I just like the pen/stamp way of stabbing better -- less pulling than with the roller
Can you tell us a bit more on how the DermaStamp compares to the roller ?
When you stamp , do you press it so hard that the 1.5mm pins are all the way into the skin ? Do you stamp multiple times in the same area (with minor positional corrections)?
Which numbing cream do you use? How about cleaning the dermapen. Just plunge that thing into a 70% ethanol solution when you are done stabbing?

Do you apply minoxidil (how long after stamping) or do you just do the wounding without minoxidil ?
(sorry for all the questions)

2young2retire

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i would say that general friction of skin gives intermediate hair. cant call it vellus cant call it terminal. based on my body.heavy friction of norwood gives many terminals turns the rest to anagen thick fellas. keep doing it.

2young2retire

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i am not giving in on solving why it doesnt work as expected on you i am 100 % sure sth is off on the way you conduct it . i already answered you in the neighbor thread.
For almost 24 hrs the animosity has been down 2young, completely different vibe on this thread, got a couple newbies, hopefully a few lurkers will join and contribute positively, its like New yrs started yesterday for this thread. Hopefully it will stay this way for a while

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you could post some new pictures in the results thread 2young2retire? Another month has passed. The first 10-12 pages of the results thread were really encouraging but since then people like jason5 haven't accessed the forum. In terms of lurkers etc. I'm considering dermarolling but I wouldn't be able to contribute since I've recently started a "kitchen sink" regime so results could be down to any number of treatments. I certainly plan to contribute a 'your story' thread a couple of months down the line though...

I do have a few questions:

- FredTheBelgian, your sig says you've been on minoxidil since 20 (4years) and you're reporting "lots of vellus hairs everywhere" on your scalp today. Are you saying these are down to dermarolling exclusively? Pictures would also be appreciated.
- What are people's takes on the gap between 1.5mm rolling sessions? Is the consensus that weekly "heavy" 1.5mm rolling is too often? Being off minoxidil 1 day out of 7 when you might get the same DR'ing benefit fortnightly could be significant.
- I'm also curious how hellouser is getting on with DR'ing nowdays and what his opinion of the treatment is 6 months after starting the original BTT topic on this.
- squeegee seems to be the big dermarolling guy lately, but I'm struggling to find any pictures of his progress. Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here but he posts pictures from a guy called Joseph, a pioneer from a few years ago? I struggle to get excited about those pictures because of the lighting change :( I'm looking for some encouragement to get involved in dermarolling and I'd love to see how the "main man" is getting on.
- Also, did we get to the bottom of what happened to that guy who got some form of infection and had the skin removed from the back of his head? I'd love to hear he did something daft and it wasn't the result of dermarolling...

2young2retire

Experienced Member
Reaction score
crash_bandicoot.jpgi am completely off minoxidil. wound hard enough till reddish skin stays for 3 days. and pains you. it indicates what we need to be done by cells. i will up pics in month after a haircut, i am just afraid of organizations kidnapping me like CIA lol i am telling you. do it right the results are gonna be skyrocketing.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry we talk later now i go for some yoga soul searching relaxing session..... see ya.

Borealis

Reaction score
Yeah I'm in the same boat Fred. If these new vellus hairs turned terminal I'd be a NW0 - NW1. No exaggeration. However what are the chances of that happening... All I can do is hope because they certainly weren't there before I started rolling.

gerg

Reaction score
is anybody using 2mm? im tempted to buy a 2mm derma stamp. 1.5mm just doesnt seem to be doing the trick for me

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
i am not giving in on solving why it doesnt work as expected on you i am 100 % sure sth is off on the way you conduct it . i already answered you in the neighbor thread.

Yeah i saw that after, trust me i am hoping i am doing something wrong and that DR can work for everyone, going to keep trying to get it right. Just think we are missing a piece, got to figure it out. Im not trying to say DR is not going to help its just so far its not for me, so dont take it so personal:)

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
is anybody using 2mm? im tempted to buy a 2mm derma stamp. 1.5mm just doesnt seem to be doing the trick for me

i am on 2nd roll with a 2mm. I am surprised that i feel no difference when i roll. It looks a lot bigger than 1.5, no more blood or anything

Jlyncher

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you could post some new pictures in the results thread 2young2retire? Another month has passed. The first 10-12 pages of the results thread were really encouraging but since then people like jason5 haven't accessed the forum. In terms of lurkers etc. I'm considering dermarolling but I wouldn't be able to contribute since I've recently started a "kitchen sink" regime so results could be down to any number of treatments. I certainly plan to contribute a 'your story' thread a couple of months down the line though...

I do have a few questions:

- FredTheBelgian, your sig says you've been on minoxidil since 20 (4years) and you're reporting "lots of vellus hairs everywhere" on your scalp today. Are you saying these are down to dermarolling exclusively? Pictures would also be appreciated.
- What are people's takes on the gap between 1.5mm rolling sessions? Is the consensus that weekly "heavy" 1.5mm rolling is too often? Being off minoxidil 1 day out of 7 when you might get the same DR'ing benefit fortnightly could be significant.
- I'm also curious how hellouser is getting on with DR'ing nowdays and what his opinion of the treatment is 6 months after starting the original BTT topic on this.
- squeegee seems to be the big dermarolling guy lately, but I'm struggling to find any pictures of his progress. Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here but he posts pictures from a guy called Joseph, a pioneer from a few years ago? I struggle to get excited about those pictures because of the lighting change :( I'm looking for some encouragement to get involved in dermarolling and I'd love to see how the "main man" is getting on.
- Also, did we get to the bottom of what happened to that guy who got some form of infection and had the skin removed from the back of his head? I'd love to hear he did something daft and it wasn't the result of dermarolling...

I think it was somebody from btt that posted the video of the guy with the scalp infection first. Seems they just googled staph/scalp and posted the scariest one they could find lol. It was unrelated to dermarolling, the guy contracted dissecting scalp cellulitis (dsc) and tried to self medicate at home effectively spreading around the infection before finally going to the hospital. Poor bastard. But again, had nothing to do with dermarolling, lol.

"Dissecting cellulitis of the scalp is a very rare scalp condition.
The condition is occasionally referred to as perifolliculitis capitis abscedens et suffodiens. It commonly affects black adult men but can affect any race, sex or age."

closetmetrosexual

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it was somebody from btt that posted the video of the guy with the scalp infection first. Seems they just googled staph/scalp and posted the scariest one they could find lol. It was unrelated to dermarolling, the guy contracted dissecting scalp cellulitis (dsc) and tried to self medicate at home effectively spreading around the infection before finally going to the hospital. Poor bastard. But again, had nothing to do with dermarolling, lol.

"Dissecting cellulitis of the scalp is a very rare scalp condition.
The condition is occasionally referred to as perifolliculitis capitis abscedens et suffodiens. It commonly affects black adult men but can affect any race, sex or age."

All I know is that those pics scared the living daylights out of me! :D
As a result, I am now completely obsessed with sterilising my needles before and after each use.
A good thing, really.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
All I know is that those pics scared the living daylights out of me! :D
As a result, I am now completely obsessed with sterilising my needles before and after each use.
A good thing, really.

I leave my dermaroller in a container of Isopropanol 99% alcohol USP for almost 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.