need a career change

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do IT. I put myself through school and had to start with community college due to budgets. When doing community college you basically choose general business or computers and I chose computers. Im 34 now and every day going to work is a drag. Im so bored and find no love anymore in my career choice. I honestly always wanted to get into the medical field somewhere but do not want to be a nurse and could never have the time and money for full on medical school. Legal career always seemed nice to. I would make a killer lawyer.
Ive thought about looking into a radiology program but even going back to school now seems like a chore.

I would love to honestly get into flipping homes though. Ive always been good with trade work (used to be a plumbers apprentice but went back to school) and own a 4 family rental. Im good at it and enjoy working on it and flipping them over.
I have wanted to flip homes even before it was popular as I also at one point (when I was 19/20) took a real estate course and got my licence for it. I have been all over the place. I have a bit of money in the bank but I bought this house with my GF 3 years ago (worst decision I ever made IN MY LIFE) and just dont have the disposable income to do it.

Anyone have any tips for a now SERIOUSLY confused 34 year old guy who NEEDS a change in life?

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I myself am going to finish plus 2 in science this year and ill be pursuing Bachelors in Computer science.

You WILL kill the lawyer job im sure by reading your comebacks.

This is all i can say.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I myself am going to finish plus 2 in science this year and ill be pursuing Bachelors in Computer science.

You WILL kill the lawyer job im sure by reading your comebacks.

This is all i can say.

Hope its a passion for you. I find computers have to be a passion which I thought they were a bit cause it was new to me and I had friends interested in it. As got older though I realized it was another passing phase. I do the work, search the web, and go home. I seriously have zero desire to pursue any further education or certifications and honestly dream about doing ANYTHING else for 8 hours. Whats sad is I used to be blue collar and almost desire to go back to that just to be rid of the boredom. Could be where Im working as well but I would be stupid to give up "where" I work unless it was for a major career change.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's like the saying do you work to live or live to work? Sounds like you want a bit more of the latter. Plenty of older people in medical school so that shouldn't be an issue, they like people with life experience. Sports physiotherapy or osteopath work is also cool. Good mention of the law thing, that has the advantage that you can do it via distance learning. This way you keep earning and studying.

bilboswaggins

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I study law atm and I can tell you it is a fvcking rat race. Everyone is so competitive and depression is quite common in law school. At the end of it, if you are lucky to get a grad job be prepared to work 80 hour weeks for sh!tty pay. It takes minimum 10years to become a partner unless you are a genius. Many people go in thinking they will bust their *** for a few years, get promoted and bring in the $$$$ but for the majority this is never achieved. Since you are 34 i would recommend against this career path if you value your life. In my country the average lawyer earns less than the average electrician too

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
I like this topic. By chance did you have to deal with hair loss while going to college? I did, and it was one of the most traumatic experiences in my life. Anyways, to your question. This is some great advice I received from a friend.

If you don't have a PASSION, then focus on the money aspect and get a hobby. If you do have a passion, then you have to do it or you will regret it in the long run.

To me a passion is something you are always thinking about like an inner voice guiding you what to do. I don't have this in regard to a career. So I focus on making money and different hobbies. Good luck.

shreyaskini

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What a thread. Never wanted to post again on this forum due to the large numbers of negative posts which are intolerable and depressive :( Kirk is very very true. I'm about to turn 19. finished pre university last year and my passion was actually towards culinary arts and hospitality but i couldn't make it in time to that college due to various reasons including social anxiety(The lengthy admission process was hard for me). So i decided to pursue business and joined a local college which was the worst possible decision i ever made. I thought i'd first get done with all the graduation thingy and pursue MBA and earn millions :p thought it was easy for a guy who was always good at business studies but it wasn't unfortunately. The social life was horrendous and most weren't friendly with me and i couldn't tolerate the embarassment that i had to deal there due to the anxiety and hairloss. I couldn't even make an eye contact to a girl. The college was filled with showy filthy rich bastards who were dominating me all the time. I either had to be a nerd or suffer coz of those ppl or act like a lunatic which i couldn't. Decided i'd drop the college and pursue a professional e-Banking and finance course at a top university(The same where i wanted to pursue culinary arts) here where i'm likely to find people who are like me and also help me overcome social phobia. The college being a very well known one i'd have to take a loan and thats a burden. But i know i'm joining a place where i'm likely to get placed at a Financial institution like Goldman Sachs etc. and earn a handsome salary along with it. As kirk said forget the passion thingy. It'll be very hard for you to be determined as hairloss itself is something that requires it and theres no way you can study with a lot of focus especially at 34. Best to get a hobby and do something that will let you earn enough to live your life without inconvenience. DO NOT FALL FOR PASSION. $$$$$ = Life in modern days. These days i'm doing well by recovering from that traumatic experience and my social anxiety too seems to have lowered. Although i wasted my parents income and wasted an year doing nothing i learned a lot what life is and yes it's not easy :( Never wasnted to make this post lengthy but wanted to explain ppl here that hairloss isn't everything and there's much more to life than hairloss which is actually a very minor hindrance that people tend to exaggerate. Good to see posts like these which might inspire people and help people to focus on their career. Best wishes for you mate in whatever you decide to do :)

Billygekko

Reaction score
Holy ****, I did the real estate agent course too back when I was 19, had the certificate and all but never got into it because, who the hell would choose a 19yr old real estate agent right ?
Look into HVAC if you enjoy manual labor. The course is 1 year and when you have enough experience in this field you can start your own business. Plus, at trade school, there will probably a lot more people close to your age group so you won't have to deal with obnoxious 18yr old college kids

Aesthetic

Established Member
Reaction score
Holy ****, I did the real estate agent course too back when I was 19, had the certificate and all but never got into it because, who the hell would choose a 19yr old real estate agent right ?
Look into HVAC if you enjoy manual labor. The course is 1 year and when you have enough experience in this field you can start your own business. Plus, at trade school, there will probably a lot more people close to your age group so you won't have to deal with obnoxious 18yr old college kids
ya i dont see how u can make money in real estate if u dont already have money to buy n flip home OR if your a house wife that wants to be a part time agent because honestly how many homes does the average agent sell a year, espically starting out, if u got bills it sounds so cut throat to survive

BiqqieSmalls

Established Member
Reaction score
ya i dont see how u can make money in real estate if u dont already have money to buy n flip home OR if your a house wife that wants to be a part time agent because honestly how many homes does the average agent sell a year, espically starting out, if u got bills it sounds so cut throat to survive
You can get a loan from a bank. The bank will lend on its income producing ability.

- - - Updated - - -

I do think that you need to follow your passion. The medical field is rapidly growing. Same with real estate. The economy is getting stronger and certain industries are hot; pharmaceutical companies, healthcare, finance. Can you end it with your GF or would that cause too much disruption? Better to do it now than later when you're faced with the challenge of kids, college for them, retirement, etc.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can get a loan from a bank. The bank will lend on its income producing ability.

- - - Updated - - -

I do think that you need to follow your passion. The medical field is rapidly growing. Same with real estate. The economy is getting stronger and certain industries are hot; pharmaceutical companies, healthcare, finance. Can you end it with your GF or would that cause too much disruption? Better to do it now than later when you're faced with the challenge of kids, college for them, retirement, etc.

I tried looking into a loan for a down payment on a flip house but its hard to actually get that unless you have a history behind it. Most banks want to lock you into the loan for so long to make sure your not going to flip it since if it doesnt sell youll walk and the bank loses.

In the US its really hard to make money WITHOUT money. You know the expression. I even played with stocks and options (still try) but there are so many rules to keep people who dont have a lot of money down. You technically cant even day trade unless you have an account with like 30K in it at all times. You get penalized when you sell our purchases to fast.

I have ZERO desire for kids. I will honestly never have them. I also have zero desire for marriage, Im actually against it.

I do work to live, but the issue is in my field you need to have interest in it to keep up with the constantly changing tech and I just have no interest anymore. Could be where I work as well. I honestly took a promotion a little over a year ago and dont really get along well with the guys down here. They are kind of clicky goobers and I have zero interest in their already established inside jokes or being part of their click. Maybe I should just see if there is another department in my job I can try. Honestly Id be stupid to leave, the pay is mediocre but its like the last place on earth that offers a pension and awesome benefits with crazy stability.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I do IT. I put myself through school and had to start with community college due to budgets. When doing community college you basically choose general business or computers and I chose computers. Im 34 now and every day going to work is a drag. Im so bored and find no love anymore in my career choice. I honestly always wanted to get into the medical field somewhere but do not want to be a nurse and could never have the time and money for full on medical school. Legal career always seemed nice to. I would make a killer lawyer.
Ive thought about looking into a radiology program but even going back to school now seems like a chore.

I would love to honestly get into flipping homes though. Ive always been good with trade work (used to be a plumbers apprentice but went back to school) and own a 4 family rental. Im good at it and enjoy working on it and flipping them over.
I have wanted to flip homes even before it was popular as I also at one point (when I was 19/20) took a real estate course and got my licence for it. I have been all over the place. I have a bit of money in the bank but I bought this house with my GF 3 years ago (worst decision I ever made IN MY LIFE) and just dont have the disposable income to do it.

Anyone have any tips for a now SERIOUSLY confused 34 year old guy who NEEDS a change in life?
Swingline, read the book or listen to the audiobook entitled "Stop saying your fine" by Mel Robbins. Or watch her Ted talk on youtube. Google it. She describes YOU and what you are doing and need to do. Trust me look into this, you will not be sorry.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Swingline, read the book or listen to the audiobook entitled "Stop saying your fine" by Mel Robbins. Or watch her Ted talk on youtube. Google it. She describes YOU and what you are doing and need to do. Trust me look into this, you will not be sorry.

Self help crap is just that. "Oh you have to grab life by the balls and GO". Half these people never even actually applied their own advice. I just watched the first 8 minutes of her ted talk and its just simple common sense. This woman is unbearable.
Its all traveling faith healer shams.
So basically all the effort Im putting into my life is still "not enough" and Ive convinced myself to be content???? I call bullschit.

archdemon123

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a law student and freaking love it. Hope I'll do something related to it. I'm in the top law university in my country and I'm hoping I'll earn enough for an hair transplant.
OP why don't you venture yourself in a law degree studying at nighttime?

I'll agree with the depression comment someone stated, especially if you're hair is falling while you graduate.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a law student and freaking love it. Hope I'll do something related to it. I'm in the top law university in my country and I'm hoping I'll earn enough for an hair transplant.
OP why don't you venture yourself in a law degree studying at nighttime?

I'll agree with the depression comment someone stated, especially if you're hair is falling while you graduate.

Can I be honest. I put myself through school for SO Long at night I dont think I could do it again. I seriously took near TEN years to get my bachelors and still have loans. I remember one of my friends telling me "dude youre still in school, when I MET YOU you were still in school" I knew the guy for like 5 years then.

Im done with schooling, I know blah blah, my choice but when you literally bought your first rental, work full time, and go to school at night its killer. Or how about when I worked full time on a rotating schedule, then had a part time job and went to school full time 3 days a week. All for a crummy associates in computer science. All while trying to manage the gym and my bands.

This is why I really want to venture into flipping homes. I have connections from my friends and rentals. I want to be my own damn boss, or BE THE BOSS PERIOD. I have been trying to get some friends or my borther on board to help build capital but I literally KNOW NO dependent people in my life. My GF is prob the only one and I WILL NOT buy anything else with her. In fact next week I have an appointment with a lawyer to go over my contract and possibly get out of the relationship with some cash for GOOD.

Hey arch demon are you a law student in the states? Wanna give me some advice on a co hab agreement?

archdemon123

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry swing, wish I could help you but i'm european.
I perfectly understand your decision, once I'm done with this there's no way in hell I'll have a go at another degree.

Working in IT doesn't seem to bad. My advise for you is to get out of that relationship andstart building capital. Why not looking into starting a company on something?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry swing, wish I could help you but i'm european.
I perfectly understand your decision, once I'm done with this there's no way in hell I'll have a go at another degree.

Working in IT doesn't seem to bad. My advise for you is to get out of that relationship andstart building capital. Why not looking into starting a company on something?

I will, once Im out of this relationship. I honestly think this is the biggest thing holding me back. We bought this house I DIDNT want and honestly I hate looking at this woman. I tell her daily moving in together is my biggest regret and I want out and in my own place again but theres to much money wrapped up in this house I need back to start my own thing.
The other day we were arguing because I want to get back into music and meeting other musicians and I told her I want an open relationship and she just freaks and ignores me. Many night I sleep downstairs and the other night in bed we were arguing because she never lets me sleep and I told her I am turning the adjacent bedroom into my own room and shell have to make the guest bedroom and "her office (bunny quotes)" one room.

I have an appointment with a lawyer thurday but I know shell try to fight giving my portion of the house or selling it because she is terrified of being alone. She a schitzo who basically shunned all her friends and pisses her own family off. Shes a workaholic which isnt bad but in the end her body, mind and the relationship has taken a toll beyond repair.
Wish I liked my job enough to sacrifice all that.

Reaction score

"Flipping" burgers would seem more apt for a boy of youre statue.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Flipping" burgers would seem more apt for a boy of youre statue.

and that might be a nice change of pace. But dont hate, its not becoming of such an "alpha" guy.....................

giphy.gif