My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

-Link-

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you Link. I do use Rogaine about one hour after I apply Zix. maybe it's the combination of both that's creating the mess? should i only use Zix and see what happens i guess? THe shampoo I am using is Selson Blue, it contains 3% Salycilic Acid.
I doubt that Rogaine contributes to the mess, considering there are many who use that and Zix, but I have never used it. If you quit minoxidil (like Rogaine), you can suddenly shed some hair, unless you have not used it for long. I dislike minoxidil and will never use it. It can regrow some hair temporarily but does nothing for maintenance and can make it harder to see if a maintenance product like Zix and finasteride works. Many also report side effects such as dry, aging face.

I am not familiar with your shampoo, but trying another, stronger shampoo temporarily should not hurt. I feel the shampoo could be the problem here. I have trouble seeing how a strong shampoo would not be able to remove Zix residue. I have, however, tried several shampoos in the past that were not strong enough for my hair, especially when my hair has been extra greasy. Even a typical shampoo from the grocery store should be strong enough, I feel. I think special shampoos like the one you use are often mild.

I think Worm tried Zix without vitamin B6 and found that it was not messy as with it included. I think it even seemed to work for his hair loss, but he went back because he liked the way the powder concealed his scalp, making the hair appear thicker like a mild Toppik.

Last edited:

cryingariver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Worm and others mention the bad smell that disappears. If there is no smell in your product, I suspect there is something wrong with the vitamin B6 or alcohol. It could also explain the mess in your hair.

Is your Zix a bright yellow color? It should be so from the vitamin.

I thought that myself actually. Yes, the Zix I make is a bright yellow color. I ordered the zinc and B6 from amazon, the picture below shows the bottles. I bought the ethyl alcohol 70% from CVS... here's the link:
https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-70-ethyl-rubbing-alcohol-prodid-304659
is this the wrong alcohol?

Attachments

• IMG_7331.JPG
    IMG_7331.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 142

-Link-

Established Member
Reaction score

cryingariver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with any of your products. I would try different ethanol or shampoo, or Zix without vitamin B6.

does zix still work without the B6? so it's really only the zinc sulfate working those follicles?

-Link-

Established Member
Reaction score
Before bothering to change your Zix, I would certainly try another cheap, normal shampoo. There must be something wrong with yours if it can not wash out the vitamin powder easily.

cryingariver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Before bothering to change your Zix, I would certainly try another cheap, normal shampoo. There must be something wrong with yours if it can not wash out the vitamin powder easily.

Update! so I ran to a Duane Reade and purchased the exact same shampoo you showed. Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap. I tried it tonight to see if it could clean my hair before i go to war with my issue again tomorrow morning. Lo and behold... the white powder stuck to my hair is mostly all gone! From the looks of it... I needed a stronger shampoo as you said Link. I'm sure mixing the vitamin powder with the ethyl alcohol before adding the distilled water also helps. I'll post again in a few days just as an update. Thank you so much for your patience and the help!

side note... I had to go to 2 duane reades until i found the shampoo. both attendants who helped me knew of the shampoo and have also used it before. Looks like i'm late to the show :)

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you Link. I do use Rogaine about one hour after I apply Zix. maybe it's the combination of both that's creating the mess? should i only use Zix and see what happens i guess? THe shampoo I am using is Selson Blue, it contains 3% Salycilic Acid.

I doubt that Rogaine contributes to the mess, considering there are many who use that and Zix, but I have never used it. If you quit minoxidil (like Rogaine), you can suddenly shed some hair, unless you have not used it for long. I dislike minoxidil and will never use it. It can regrow some hair temporarily but does nothing for maintenance and can make it harder to see if a maintenance product like Zix and finasteride works. Many also report side effects such as dry, aging face.

I am not familiar with your shampoo, but trying another, stronger shampoo temporarily should not hurt. I feel the shampoo could be the problem here. I have trouble seeing how a strong shampoo would not be able to remove Zix residue. I have, however, tried several shampoos in the past that were not strong enough for my hair, especially when my hair has been extra greasy. Even a typical shampoo from the grocery store should be strong enough, I feel. I think special shampoos like the one you use are often mild.

I think Worm tried Zix without vitamin B6 and found that it was not messy as with it included. I think it even seemed to work for his hair loss, but he went back because he liked the way the powder concealed his scalp, making the hair appear thicker like a mild Toppik.

My suggestion is you use minoxidil at night and zix in the morning spread twelve-sixteen hours apart. Wash you hair in the morning. I dont know think using them so close together is helping your issue. Also minoxs half life is enough that you only need once daily.

I use head and shoulders, or a knock off brand whatever is on sale, I would stop with selsum blue for a few months.

cryingariver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My suggestion is you use minoxidil at night and zix in the morning spread twelve-sixteen hours apart. Wash you hair in the morning. I dont know think using them so close together is helping your issue. Also minoxs half life is enough that you only need once daily.

I use head and shoulders, or a knock off brand whatever is on sale, I would stop with selsum blue for a few months.

Thanks worm! yeah, i'm not sure either if using rogaine an hour after zix is helping me either actually. However, i do remember the first night i used zix, i didn't use rogaine... and my hair was still a powdery mess the next morning, even after shampoo. I'll see what happens... for the next few days, i'll be using zix, followed by rogaine an hour later, and shampooing with the Castile Soap in the mornings as i mentioned above. so far this shampoo knocked out most of the powder in my hair. I'll keep an eye on it. thanks for the head and shoulders recommendation; if the stores run out of Castile soap, i could use that as instead.

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks worm! yeah, i'm not sure either if using rogaine an hour after zix is helping me either actually. However, i do remember the first night i used zix, i didn't use rogaine... and my hair was still a powdery mess the next morning, even after shampoo. I'll see what happens... for the next few days, i'll be using zix, followed by rogaine an hour later, and shampooing with the Castile Soap in the mornings as i mentioned above. so far this shampoo knocked out most of the powder in my hair. I'll keep an eye on it. thanks for the head and shoulders recommendation; if the stores run out of Castile soap, i could use that as instead.
I use zix and head and shoulders, no bad smell or powdery mess at all.

-Link-

Established Member
Reaction score
Update! so I ran to a Duane Reade and purchased the exact same shampoo you showed. Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap. I tried it tonight to see if it could clean my hair before i go to war with my issue again tomorrow morning. Lo and behold... the white powder stuck to my hair is mostly all gone! From the looks of it... I needed a stronger shampoo as you said Link. I'm sure mixing the vitamin powder with the ethyl alcohol before adding the distilled water also helps. I'll post again in a few days just as an update. Thank you so much for your patience and the help!

side note... I had to go to 2 duane reades until i found the shampoo. both attendants who helped me knew of the shampoo and have also used it before. Looks like i'm late to the show :)
Good to hear. You are welcome.

Just pay attention to the way your hair and scalp react to the new shampoo. People react differently. If I use Castile soap without using conditioner afterward, my hair and scalp become dry and itchy. It makes me lose more hair. If I finish with conditioner, my hair and scalp look and feel better than when using normal shampoo and finishing with conditioner. Some people dilute the Castile soap with water to make it milder and cheaper for hair. The soap is not good for dyed hair, but I think most shampoos will wash out Zix.

Other things I like with this soap are that it is natural, old-fashioned, contains none of the bad, irritating chemicals we find in regular shampoos, and works well for other purposes, such as washing the body, hands and dishes. I like natural products; yet another reason to try Zix.

Last edited:

cryingariver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good to hear. You are welcome.

Just pay attention to the way your hair and scalp react to the new shampoo. People react differently. If I use Castile soap without using conditioner afterward, my hair and scalp become dry and itchy. It makes me lose more hair. If I finish with conditioner, my hair and scalp look and feel better than when using normal shampoo and finishing with conditioner. Some people dilute the Castile soap with water to make it milder and cheaper for hair. The soap is not good for dyed hair, but I think most shampoos will wash out Zix.

Other things I like with this soap are that it is natural, old-fashioned, contains none of the bad, irritating chemicals we find in regular shampoos, and works well for other purposes, such as washing the body, hands and dishes. I like natural products; yet another reason to try Zix.

Thank you Link. yes, i'm definitely using Conditioner afterwards anyway... I always use conditioner afterwards no matter what shampoo i use. And today was another success... all the powder was gone again. it wasn't easy lol!! as with everything else, the solution is easy, but finding it can be difficult.

nono

Reaction score
i managed to get zinc sulphate powder - i noticed the caps you use say they only contain 50mg of zinc from 220mg. so do you know if i should use 220mg of powder x3 or 150mg? many thanks for this thread!

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
i managed to get zinc sulphate powder - i noticed the caps you use say they only contain 50mg of zinc from 220mg. so do you know if i should use 220mg of powder x3 or 150mg? many thanks for this thread!

It's usually 220mgs from 50mgs of elemental zinc. I suspect it's still only three capsules for you.

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hows zix working for you?
Havent used it long enough to tell..I'm still fumbling around with my next regimen at the moment...gonna try topical finasteride when it comes at night and then zix in the daytime. But I can attest to zix making my hair and scalp feel good with no mess or smell.

INT

Reaction score
HI @worm

Time for me to repurchase my Zinc Sulphate and P5P again. May I ask what is the P5P brand that you use? I know you put the zinc you use in the OP and I am sure you also wrote somewhere which p5p you use but I figured just asking you would be a bit quicker. I will either purchase the exact original brands from Joe's package or the one that you use, depending on total costs for shipping to Europe.

Thanks!

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
HI @worm

Time for me to repurchase my Zinc Sulphate and P5P again. May I ask what is the P5P brand that you use? I know you put the zinc you use in the OP and I am sure you also wrote somewhere which p5p you use but I figured just asking you would be a bit quicker. I will either purchase the exact original brands from Joe's package or the one that you use, depending on total costs for shipping to Europe.

Thanks!

I use ecological formulas p5p. It comes in tablets and you need to crush them.

cryingariver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I leave Zix on overnight, but just to know... how long does it have to be on your hair for it to take effect? i have noticed it dries pretty quickly. For example, can you shower one hour after you apply it? by then it's pretty dry.

cryingariver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so after one week of zix plus rogaine about one hour later (in the evenings), i've noticed my scalp is much less oily. also, some slight thickening of my hair in the front and the crown... nothing too much, but I do notice it. and no shedding at all. so far so good.

GROWTH

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi dude , I was going to start daily 0.1 mg finasteride topical lotion but I decide to try zix first , I hope It would work for me ,Im nw2a , Can you inform me little bit about it , I have 50 ml bottle I will done

15 ml etil
220x3 zinc total = 660 mg ?

B6 = 150 mg
45ml = distile water

My question is this , also should I add pg for better skin absorvation ? like 10 ml pg ? pg is known as make these products easy to absorve by skin .

Also do you suggest dermatsamp once a week with this treatment.