My Zix Experience - How B6 And Zinc Have Saved My Hair

badluckdude

Reaction score
so if things like zix work, other zinc shampoos etc... what do copper shampoos work as well in studies? Arent these 2 in direct competition with each other? Shouldnt only one work and not the other? Or is it just as simple as for the people that the zinc stuff works, copper wont, and vise versa? Or if this is not the case could you use a zinc and copper shampoo at the same time? Or again wouldnt they just cancel each other out?

What is the idea on this?

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I doubt it, I used to do 50/50 mix but I lowered it because I found it made my hair kind of sticky for whatever reason.

Thanks, il try 25 mls ethyl alcohol and 50 mls distilled water and just hope it works just as well.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
so if things like zix work, other zinc shampoos etc... what do copper shampoos work as well in studies? Arent these 2 in direct competition with each other? Shouldnt only one work and not the other? Or is it just as simple as for the people that the zinc stuff works, copper wont, and vise versa? Or if this is not the case could you use a zinc and copper shampoo at the same time? Or again wouldnt they just cancel each other out?

What is the idea on this?

I don't know the answer to that, I have heard anecdotal evidence for copper peptides, but ultimately I have no clue. I would not mix the two though, just my impression.

d3nt3dsh0v3l

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any regrowth, worm? By that I mean do miniaturizing hairs thicken back up? I realize that the last time you had massive shedding was after you dropped finasteride many years ago but just wondering. Also why'd you drop the polysorbate 80?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any regrowth, worm? By that I mean do miniaturizing hairs thicken back up? I realize that the last time you had massive shedding was after you dropped finasteride many years ago but just wondering. Also why'd you drop the polysorbate 80?

Well I believe finasteride can reverse miniaturized hairs, I've seen it first hand with a friend. That said I believe it's more potent than zix, albeit with way more sides. So when switching from finasteride to nothing, to zix, I did see some recovery however over the 13 or so years I've been using zix I have been slowly thinning. So by that virtue, the immediate effect may turn some hairs around, but in the long run nature will have its way, but at a virtual fraction of the pace.

Other than @JWM2 friend who has been using minoxidil and zix and has had very good results, I'm pm'ing with a user who is starting to see some results with both also. It's early for him, but my thought is that if you would like to see some more effective regrowth, it would probably be best to combine with minoxidil.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well i mixed 25 mls 95% ethyl alcohol, 50 mls distilled water, 3 of the 50mg tabs and 2 of the 220mg zinc sulphate caps.

Used 2ml on my receding hairline yesterday and left it on for 4 hours before washing my hair.

I dunno whether 2ml was enough but hopefully this all good.

I do have a fear that the zinc might fry my hair and increase thinning since some mentioned it could do that but hopefully that isn't the case

Update: used again today, am kinda preparing myself for disappointment.

Update: its the next day and... think its not good, i lift my hairline up and i can see my scalp to really depressing degrees, i am convinced its abit thinner than yesterday (sigh)

Last edited:

Unique

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey worm,

i'm new here (duh first post) and I'm very curious about the Zix formula. I'm balding very slowly over 6 years to NW1 (27 years of age now), hardly inflammation. The balding is hardly visible because of my thankfully thick hair.

But I want to stop it nonetheless. Fina and minoxidil are no-go since I don't want anything tampering with my nature or libido, maxing Zix very appealing.

I have a few questions, would be happy if you could answer them:

- Does Zinc Gluconate have the same result as Zinc Sulfate? (I can't find any Sulfate where I live in Europe)
- Do caps of P5P have the same effect as the tabs?
- What are the overall results of other people (on the forum here for example) besides yourself?

Thanks & Cheers!

Last edited:

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well i mixed 25 mls 95% ethyl alcohol, 50 mls distilled water, 3 of the 50mg tabs and 2 of the 220mg zinc sulphate caps.

Used 2ml on my receding hairline yesterday and left it on for 4 hours before washing my hair.

I dunno whether 2ml was enough but hopefully this all good.

I do have a fear that the zinc might fry my hair and increase thinning since some mentioned it could do that but hopefully that isn't the case

Update: used again today, am kinda preparing myself for disappointment.

Update: its the next day and... think its not good, i lift my hairline up and i can see my scalp to really depressing degrees, i am convinced its abit thinner than yesterday (sigh)

Normally I use 70%"ethyl alcohol, r u shure you're using ethyl and not isopropyl? If so, I would use maybe 10 mls, and maybe scale back the zinc to one capsule.

Otherwise I would hesitate to say you've lost hair in 2 applications, what I may add is that the ethyl alcohol when used in too high concentrations can make your hair sticky, and make it look thinner, I know it does for me.

Otherwise did u have an itchy scalp prior to starting? I did, so I believe by taking the itch away, you're removing whatever is causing it, which might be causing hairloss too. If u don't have itch, then maybe it's not the same type of itch induced loss I'm experiencing. Just thinking out loud here.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey worm,

i'm new here (duh first post) and I'm very curious about the Zix formula. I'm balding very slowly over 6 years to NW1 (27 years of age now), hardly inflammation. The balding is hardly visible because of my thankfully thick hair.

But I want to stop it nonetheless. Fina and minoxidil are no-go since I don't want anything tampering with my nature or libido, maxing Zix very appealing.

I have a few questions, would be happy if you could answer them:

- Does Zinc Gluconate have the same result as Zinc Sulfate? (I can't find any Sulfate where I live in Europe)
- Do caps of P5P have the same effect as the tabs?
- What are the overall results of other people (on the forum here for example) besides yourself?

Thanks & Cheers!

Hi @Unique, gluconate is certainly Not the same as sulfate, I would not experiment with it either as it will likely end bad. I'm guessing you're not from the states since elsewhere have less options for zinc.

I'm not sure this is the solution since you're nw1, I would look up joe's original ZIX formula if you want to try though.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Normally I use 70%"ethyl alcohol, r u shure you're using ethyl and not isopropyl? If so, I would use maybe 10 mls, and maybe scale back the zinc to one capsule.

Otherwise I would hesitate to say you've lost hair in 2 applications, what I may add is that the ethyl alcohol when used in too high concentrations can make your hair sticky, and make it look thinner, I know it does for me.

Otherwise did u have an itchy scalp prior to starting? I did, so I believe by taking the itch away, you're removing whatever is causing it, which might be causing hairloss too. If u don't have itch, then maybe it's not the same type of itch induced loss I'm experiencing. Just thinking out loud here.

I think i had a hard time trying to find 70% so i just got the 95% as that seemed to be the most common one i could find.

On the description it says Ethyl alcohol 95% so i assume it is the right one.

Well i had abit of an annoying itch at the back of my head for a little while but it wasn't on the areas that i put the treatment on so it may just have been a one off itch i had :/

TBH it might not be the zix, but i have this feeling my scalp doesn't may not react well with these sorta scalp treatments since i also tried nizoral and i feel like my hair looked thin the next day after that also

il try scaling back the zinc to 1 tab and using 10mls of Ethyl.

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
Zix made my scalp feel absolutely amazing even at original strength (ethanol version). But I get instant headache accompanied by palpitation, chest discomfort, and fatigue.

I did a quick search and found quite a few reports of zix causing headache.

Not to complain or anything since I'm super sensitive and get similar reaction from literally every topical I used except minoxidil (has nothing to do with hormone) and tricomin (which did nothing at all). Seems like I have absurdly high systemic absorption rate.

Some of the sides I got from zix might be linked to B6 (google b6 overdose). Some would argue that even if you take a whole pill of b6 daily you wouldn't be anywhere near overdosing, but my guess is that a lot of the drug never gets into your body via the oral route. The yellowish urine from oral b6 is a good evidence. While topical w/ high systemic absorption is another story (imagine taking a intravenous injection of b6 as compared to oral administration. Well not a good example but you get it).

My scalp simply feels like a sieve where every topical just drops down into the bloodstream.

Again this is just to inform you guys with my personal experience. And you should definitely try it if you have a bad scalp since it does seem to work.
what do u mean by a 'bad scalp?" and what is your definition of working? regrowth or stopped shedding?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
what do u mean by a 'bad scalp?" and what is your definition of working? regrowth or stopped shedding?

Pretty sure he means itchy, oily, inflamed scalp. As the op, I can say it's been a lifesaver for my scalp health.

ecilotero10

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi worm, I’ve read some pages in the thread but I think I missed some things.

I’ve seen that in your first post you show how much of each component you use but after reading Joe’s webpage I’m not really sure about the quantities. Joe says you should made a 2 week supply if is not refrigerated or a max of 2 month supply if refrigerated. But how am I supposed to know the quantities for a month for example?

Also, after reading some people having sides using alcohol I’ve decided to start with the original Joe formula if it doesn’t work try yours and if not maybe give big 3 a try

My hair will look soon like this guy (random photo from BTT) maybe but i don't style it this way but with kind of a comb over that I think is hard to tell that I'm balding

attachment.jpg

My main concern is if with zix I’ll be able to at least maintain till the upcoming treatments arrive (maybe brotzu or if I’m lucky enough, have a decent amount of hair for shisheido or tsuji). Obviously it depends on the person but I don’t know, just asking if it will be worth a try.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I go through a 2oz bottle in less than two weeks, which is about 60mls. I apply just over 2mls per applications, so that's about 15 days or so. I use a little ethyl alcohol (about 15 mls), you can try one 220mg zinc sulfate and 150mgs of b6. I would try ethyl alcohol and make sure you have distilled water. Do not worry about the alcohol, it'll help with the absorption. I would be very surprised if you reacted to it.

Unique

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi @Unique, gluconate is certainly Not the same as sulfate, I would not experiment with it either as it will likely end bad. I'm guessing you're not from the states since elsewhere have less options for zinc.

I'm not sure this is the solution since you're nw1, I would look up joe's original ZIX formula if you want to try though.

Hi Worm, I meant NW2, not NW1. I've made your recipe with the half of the Zinc since i'm concerned the dose is too much. What do you think of the idea?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Worm, I meant NW2, not NW1. I've made your recipe with the half of the Zinc since i'm concerned the dose is too much. What do you think of the idea?

I think that's great, if anything it may have less effect but not a bad effect. If for some reason you're more sensitive to zinc (which I find unusual), less may be better. And if you see positive results you can slowly add zinc to test the potency. I know it took me years to get to this, so trying or over a few months, you have nothing to lose.