Finasteride (0.5mg daily)
Nizoral (3 to 4 times a week) -stopped
MSM (daily 1500mg) - stopped
Vit C (every other day)
Multivitamins (every other day)
Omega 3, 6, and 9 complex (3 to 4 times a week) - stopped

amsch

Reaction score
Re: 24 and in denial for too long! (pics included)

I'm a bit confused right now... First you say that the first pic is taken two months ago, under the pic it says that the pic was taken when your hairloss started at the age of 21. And from when is the last picture? o_O

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Hello mj, welcome to the forum

if these photos are you then your hairloss looks very aggressive and appears to be heading towards a NW6+ pattern.

I would say that you are doing the right thing by starting a regime of suppliments and meds, this is your best shot, because your hairloss only appears to be a couple of years in the making you stand a better chance of success, I have seen a few guys here reverse hairloss and gain very good results and youth is usually on thier side.

Take photos in the same room every month, this will help you to evaluate your progress.

All the best

Lucky

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

amsch said:
I'm a bit confused right now... First you say that the first pic is taken two months ago, under the pic it says that the pic was taken when your hairloss started at the age of 21. And from when is the last picture? o_O

hi sorry, the first pic was taken two months ago... the second pic was taken when i was 21 (the file comments are above each picture not below...)

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Lucky_UK said:
Hello mj, welcome to the forum

if these photos are you then your hairloss looks very aggressive and appears to be heading towards a NW6+ pattern.

I would say that you are doing the right thing by starting a regime of suppliments and meds, this is your best shot, because your hairloss only appears to be a couple of years in the making you stand a better chance of success, I have seen a few guys here reverse hairloss and gain very good results and youth is usually on thier side.

Take photos in the same room every month, this will help you to evaluate your progress.

All the best

Lucky

yea my hairloss is very aggressive.. it started from top of my head and started thinning really quickly... it was strange because my hairline was thick as ever but recently i noticed it has started to thin aswell...
i was thinking about getting a hair transplant but i dont want to go under the knife plus i ve heard bad things (and good)...

basically my hair were thick all over in 2005 and in 2006 i couldnt style them anymore and was finding myself hiding indoors when all my friends were out and about...
also i wish i did something back then cause maybe i would have a head full of thick hair right now... oh well, better late than never...

also, i will keep it up for 6 months and if i dont see an improvement then i might consider a hair transplant but fingers crossed i wont have to go that route....

i will post month 1, 2 and 3 photos next month...

p.s. i am considering topical finasteride - any suggestions? can i make it myself? (mix it in a bottle of minoxidil maybe?)

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I am not that hopeful of topical finasteride, I wouldn't waste your money until it is proven to help.

A hair transplant may be out of the question right now mj, the main problems being your age and agressiveness of your male pattern baldness, you would need to stabilise the hairloss before going down the hair transplant road, I would buzz it down and give the meds at least 12 MONTHS before coming to any conclusions, another thing to note is once you start minoxidil or finasteride you cannot stop, otherwise you will lose what you have gained, this is the harsh truth.

antonio666

Reaction score

so what is he meant to do just continue going balder,god this hairloss sh*t is hard

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

baldness defo runs in my family... i personally believe i have somehow managed to speed up my male pattern baldness... i dont know how but i think the following things my contribute:

-I train like a dog at the gym for muscle mass (no steroids or anything like that as i would be completely bald if i did!!!)

-I think diet has something to do with it. My diet was very good a few years ago until i went to uni and started dieting and went on protien only diets etc etc...

- I ve also heard some types of food (proteins) cause hormone imbalance ---->>> more testosterone, dht --->>>> male pattern baldness quicker?!!

Last edited:

IBM

Reaction score

you can do something. Its depends on how hairloss bothers you. If i were you i would jump to dutasteride and oral spironolactone 50mg/day. Of course minoxidil, nizoral shampoo, cedarwood oil shampoo and vitamins/zynch shampoo.

ali777

Reaction score

mj9 said:
baldness defo runs in my family... my dad is bald, brother is thinning and receading, other brother, slight thinning, and second oldest has thick hair!!! i am the youngest and the worst as you can see from the pic... i personally believe i have somehow managed to speed up my male pattern baldness... i dont know how but i think the following things my contribute:

-I train like a dog at the gym for muscle mass (no steroids or anything like that as i would be completely bald if i did!!!)

-I think diet has something to do with it. My diet was very good a few years ago until i went to uni and started dieting and went on protien only diets etc etc...

- I ve also heard some types of food (proteins) cause hormone imbalance ---->>> more testosterone, dht --->>>> male pattern baldness quicker?!!

I'm confused with all the medical science. The sad part is that even medical researchers can't decide. I think resistance training is a gray area, I have read that because of the testosterone they are not good for male pattern baldness. But, I've also read that there is a proof that weight training lowers testosterone.

I'm also not sure about the protein thing, but I can see your logic.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

ali777 said:
I'm confused with all the medical science. The sad part is that even medical researchers can't decide. I think resistance training is a gray area, I have read that because of the testosterone they are not good for male pattern baldness. But, I've also read that there is a proof that weight training lowers testosterone.

I'm also not sure about the protein thing, but I can see your logic.

I do a lot of resistance weight training... does anyone know if this may be contributing to my male pattern baldness???!!!

if this is the case then i may have to cut my gym sessions down although i really dont want to.... i would like my hair back though...

surely the finasteride would inactivate any circulating DHT??

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

can anyone advise? I am also going onto 0.5mg dutasteride once a week - do you think this will help or just a waste of time? i m scared of sides and also heard it blocks a second type of dht receptor in the brain!

:badmood:

ali777

Reaction score

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_loss

Regular aerobic exercise can help keep androgen levels (particularly free testosterone levels) naturally lower while maintaining overall health, lowering stress and increasing SHBG. [1] [2]

Weight training without aerobic exercise may increase testosterone. [3]; [4] [5] [6] One study suggests that both heavy exercise and increased fat intake, in combination, are required for increased free testosterone in strength trainers. Increased total or free testosterone would help them build and repair muscle, but may cause susceptible individuals to lose hair. [7]

However, there is at least one study that indicates a decline in free testosterone combined with an increase in strength due to an (unspecified) strength training regime.[10]

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

hi just a quick update... i am getting tiny little vellus hair everywhere :) hopefully these turn into terminal growth..... i am also getting comments that my hair from the front looks thicker.....

also i am getting dandruff for the first time in 2/3 years?! thought nizoral would have stopped dundruff....

will get the picture up soon...

ali777

Reaction score

mj9 said:
hi just a quick update... i am getting tiny little vellus hair everywhere :) hopefully these turn into terminal growth..... i am also getting comments that my hair from the front looks thicker.....

also i am getting dandruff for the first time in 2/3 years?! thought nizoral would have stopped dundruff....

Good to hear :punk:

Give it some time, you never know what might happen. I have those little baby hairs too...

YesterdaysHero

Reaction score

mj9 said:

Good luck man,Im rooting for ya.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

YesterdaysHero said:
Good luck man,Im rooting for ya.

thanks man... i cant wait for month 3 to end so i can take some pictures and see the difference (hopefully it will be positive)...

just noticed that my scalp is not oily anymore... it also looks much healthier

however, i have noticed some dandruff but very importantly I can see lots of small hair everywhere! :woot:

i cant wait for month 3 to end so i can post some photos and get some feedback from you guys....

oh and by the way i think my scalp health is defo due to Nizarol...

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

got a comment today from my sister, who i have not seen for nearly 5 months....

she looked at my head and said " where did all that hair come from all of a sudden" :woot:

she thought i had something in my hair and guess what? i never.....

i am a happy bunny today :jump: :punk: :)

mbehr22

Established Member
Reaction score

mj9 said:

mj9

some input from me ...

im a diffuse thinner and a few yrs older than u

i took finasteride for 9 months and saw overall thinning and slight crown fill, but i wanted thickening and regrowth so i started dutasteride @ 1mg day ... the finasteride caused a big shed initially (weeks 2 - 4)

been on dutasteride for almost 1.5 yrs now, switched over as soon as my finasteride Rx ran out ... it didnt do much for me

i think i had some fairly good results overall, but still remained thin overall, and now im shedding. i hope its temporary and not my body fighting the avodart ... if it is a shed, im hoping for a good rebound but who knows

i havent begun rogain foam as my hari is long and i wonder how i would regularly apply it, so ... that is my nxt step though ...

Oh

I moved about the same time i began treating my thinning with finasteride or dutasteride ... i moved from the coast (humid) to an inland city so i dont know if it was climate change or drugs that caused my dandruff but i got it at that time ... either way my scalp has reacted to something (ironically i use nizoral now... and befoer i used it i never had dandruff)

when i get out of the shower i use my girls 'wire brush' to comb my scalp really hard ... it rakes off the 'goop' thats on there and brings it to the surface of my combed hair

it looks to be scalp and sebum mix and presents in little beige balls of material ... its not a ton of stuff but something i have noticed

i would assume its the dutasteride doing it ... who knows