Meiji Seika Pharma teams up with Dr. Tsuji of the Riken Center

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Credit goes to people like Tsuji who also really work from an altruistic perspective. Can't say that about every researcher ;).

Jup seems even better news, I agree.

Tsuji is really on top of the game in terms of hair follicle regenerative therapy in the world btw. This is next level stuff. If anyone has the most chance of bringing something wonderful forward it's going to be this guy now imo. I'm going to follow this closely, exciting.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lesson; don't ever trust press releases of some "news website".

Still good news though. This is the first step towards possibly something great in the future. Hope he gets to the human clinical trials as soon as possible.
So he's essentially found a partner to bring their treatment into at least phase one of clinical trials, hence "human" studies. This is fantastic news. I'm more excited by this than the original article. Thanks Swoop!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I edited my post and had to repost it.

Dales

Reaction score
I hope this is not just another misunderstanding, because this is the best news I heard in a long time.
This means that they overcomed problems they had and are now proceeding to pre clinical trials.
With Japanese laws this might be closer than we thought.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope this is not just another misunderstanding, because this is the best news I heard in a long time.
This means that they overcomed problems they had and are now proceeding to pre clinical trials.
With Japanese laws this might be closer than we thought.
Do you think Dales is right Swoop? Could he have solved his problem in expanding the epithelial buldge stem cells and the dermal papilla cells? I have trouble believing he'd seek funding for preclinical and human studies if he hadn't.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I believe that too, it seems to indicate that the expansion problems are not a issue anymore. Like you guys mention if they wouldn't have solved that it wouldn't make any sense to engage in pre-clinical trials.:punk:

Let's see what their press release in April will mention!

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I believe that too, it indicates that the expansion problems are not a issue anymore. Like you guys mention if they wouldn't have solved that it wouldn't make any sense to engage in pre-clinical trials and seek for a partnership. :punk:

Let's see what their press release in April will mention!
HOLY F**K! Looks like ten years might just be realistic!

- - - Updated - - -

This may be huge.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
Still depressed that this at ~10 years away. Can't imagine what I'd look like then...

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well if all things go well he might engage in these human clinical trials pretty quick I assume? I mean pre-clinical testing doesn't take too long right? If he can realize human clinical trials within 2 years or something and if Japan can expedite the stuff it might be sooner? Something like that would be the best scenario. I don't know much at all about these regulations though etc.

I'm just very excited that this is a new era of regenerative therapy that holds real damn good promise imo.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I second that my friend.
I'm just very excited that this is a new era of regenerative therapy that holds real damn good promise imo.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well if all things go well he might engage in these human clinical trials pretty quick I assume? I mean pre-clinical testing doesn't take too long right? If he can realize human clinical trials within 2 years or something and if Japan can expedite the stuff it might be sooner? Something like that would be the best scenario. I don't know much at all about these regulations though etc.

As far as I know, Japan allows a company to release stem cell treatments alongside Phase two trials if safety has been determined. That means if he gets to human trials within the span of 2-4 years, then they may be able to treat the public within 5-6 years. It's all speculation though, we need to wait for their press release to get anything concrete to go off of.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, Japan allows a company to release stem cell treatments alongside Phase two trials if safety has been determined. That means if he gets to human trials within the span of 2-4 years, then they may be able to treat the public within 5-6 years. It's all speculation though, we need to wait for their press release to get anything concrete to go off of.

Orrrrrrr

Clinical trials begin by the end of the year -> Phase 1 begins by 2018 -> Phase 2 by 2020. Cure by 2020! Overly optimistic and significantly unlikely for sure but we shall know more information by April! But if he indeed plans on going forward with pre-clinical trials then we might have something within the foreseeable 5 year range.

Swoop, just wondering but is there a reason you specifically didn't ask if he had solved the expansion problem?

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Orrrrrrr

Clinical trials begin by the end of the year -> Phase 1 begins by 2018 -> Phase 2 by 2020. Cure by 2020! Overly optimistic and significantly unlikely for sure but we shall know more information by April! But if he indeed plans on going forward with pre-clinical trials then we might have something within the foreseeable 5 year range.

Swoop, just wondering but is there a reason you specifically didn't ask if he had solved the expansion problem?
I wouldn't say any of that is TOO unlikely. It's just a matter of how much they've accomplished behind the scenes and how polished their technique is. As has been previously mentioned, Japan is the best and quickest place in the world to create a stem cell cure. Be hopeful for the best but expect the worst (as far as timelines go).

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see two possibilities:

1) They want to move forward with trials because they've got it all figured out
2) The partnership is done just to secure a potential breakthrough with a massive return, but Meiji Seika are gambling with this scenario

If they didn't have it figured out, there would be no point in going ahead with clinical trials. NONE. It'd be a waste of money for Meiji Seika. Only Tsuji knows how close they are to growing hair on a human scalp.

Keep in mind, if they started trials TODAY or this year, there's a good chance that a treatment from them could hit the market 'in 5 years' in Japan thanks to their new regulations.... that's also assuming there are no roadblocks or delays.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see two possibilities:

1) They want to move forward with trials because they've got it all figured out
2) The partnership is done just to secure a potential breakthrough with a massive return, but Meiji Seika are gambling with this scenario

If they didn't have it figured out, there would be no point in going ahead with clinical trials. NONE. It'd be a waste of money for Meiji Seika. Only Tsuji knows how close they are to growing hair on a human scalp.

Keep in mind, if they started trials TODAY or this year, there's a good chance that a treatment from them could hit the market 'in 5 years' in Japan thanks to their new regulations.... that's also assuming there are no roadblocks or delays.
I don't believe Meiji Seika will be the company partnering with Riken. Swoop recieved a message from Tsuji indicating that the news article was mistaken. However, we now know that they will be announcing a partnership with a large company in mid April. Supposedly this is for the sole purpose of bringing his hair replication technique into preclinical and then human studies. So this is much better news than the original post indicated. It feels more focused. I do agree though, securing a partnership and funding without a fully determined treatment would be faulty from a business standpoint.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
People put too much hope in rumors and “cure for baldness in just 5 years“.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Orrrrrrr

That would be great :D;).

No not really! But I just asked him directly if these problems are not a issue anymore. Will report back when he responds.

farkhairloss

Established Member
Reaction score
To quote a typical modern cheesy Hollywood movie, let's hope Tsuji can science the shi t out of this.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
April should be a good month, with hopefully updates from some of our most promising researchers.

[video=youtube;4J1tCJEYETk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J1tCJEYETk[/video]

And let's not forget what also April will bring:

game-of-thrones.jpg

Maybe the biggest plot hole of the series: How is Varys bald if he was castrated at a young age? Looks like George R.R. Martin didn't do proper research into androgenic alopecia :uglylol: