Meiji Seika Pharma teams up with Dr. Tsuji of the Riken Center

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It sucks, but I don't make too big of a deal about it actually. Dying is a part of life. I don't expect immortality to be a reality any time soon, but there's really no point in trying to deny or grieve about the inevitable. I'm sure all my dead relatives don't want me constantly dwelling over the past but rather have me move forward. I know I'd want that for my family.
That's an incredibly mature way of handling it.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Although, I'll probably be singing a different tune when either my mom or dad die... :unsure:
It sounds like you've already been through Hell and back. All that combined with your hair loss, which amplifies any feelings of dispair. I doubt there's anything that can f**k you up. Especially when you get a full head of thick hair.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
It sounds like you've already been through Hell and back. All that combined with your hair loss, which amplifies any feelings of dispair. I doubt there's anything that can f**k you up. Especially when you get a full head of thick hair.

I've stopped caring actually (except about hair). Most things will piss you off but it's really not worth the stress.

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
Glad to see all those hours put into learning Japanese won't go to waste regardless of Repliseido's outcome, hah.
Kami ga hitsuyou desu, damnit.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Glad to see all those hours put into learning Japanese won't go to waste regardless of Repliseido's outcome, hah.
Kami ga hitsuyou desu, damnit.
Haha you can be the Japan/HairLossTalk.com liaison.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yay swoops back. You were missed in your four day hiatus.

Do you know what left he has to
Figure out before he begins trials?

Hey man, below is the convo I had with him that is relevant. I can't speak Japanese though and he can't speak English that well so perhaps it's a good idea to ask him again because of this news? Maybe things have changed. Perhaps Follisket could help with translating :)?! It would be easier for him and we could get a way more detailed response.

- What advancements have been made since that study?

We developed a novel hair regeneration using a bioengineered hair follicle germ transplantation. Our method have several advancements such as the control of eruption hair density and hair color, compared to previous studies.

- While success was shown in the rodent model, how do you predict such a bioengineered hair follicle germ will behave when injected into the scalp of a human?

I think that our treatment will succeed in human as well as rodent model. We will isolate the cells from the back of head of scalp patients and then transplant into scalp area. The bioengineered hair follicle will be erupt in the area and the hair is same to that in the back of head.

- Before we can be successful we will also need to be able to mass produce these bioengineered hair follicle germs, right? Based on current advancements it seems to be difficult to culture DPC, because they lose their signature in vitro. How do such problems apply to the current method described in the study?

As you pointed, the problem of our project is the expansion of stem cells in the bulge region and dermal papillae. In these problems, the expansion of epithelial bulge stem cells is critical issue. Thus, we are now trying to expand the stem cells.

- When can we expect that such a method will find their way to testing (clinical trials) in humans? How close are we?

We would like to realize human clinical study at 2020. We will overcome the several hurdles and realize human clinical study within 5 years.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey man, below is the convo I had with him that is relevant. I can't speak Japanese though and he can't speak English that well so perhaps it's a good idea to ask him again because of this news? Maybe things have changed. Perhaps Follisket could help with translating :)?! It would be easier for him and we could get a way more detailed response.

Thanks. 10 years is a long time.. Wonder what his thoughts are on replicel

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Welp I'm now incredibly depressed... That's a huge dose of hope deferred :(

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Follisket could help with translating :)?! It would be easier for him and we could get a way more detailed response.

Hahah, years from now I'll hopefully be able to oblige. Though as things stand, I can just about introduce myself and ask for directions. :D

Anyway, I really hope something comes of this partnership; we really are in dire need of some optimism and good news right now.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hahah, years from now I'll hopefully be able to oblige. Though as things stand, I can just about introduce myself and ask for directions. :D

Anyway, I really hope something comes of this partnership; we really are in dire need of some optimism and good news right now.

Haha ok cool :). Yes indeed... Tsuji doesn't mess around though. This could possibly materialize into something very great imo. Can't really say that of current pipeline treatments. We will have to see I guess.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha ok cool :). Yes indeed... Tsuji doesn't mess around though. This could possibly materialize into something very great imo. Can't really say that of current pipeline treatments. We will have to see I guess.
Is there any way we can have someone on the forum who speaks Japanese write up a list of questions to send to Dr. Tsuji in light of his new partnership? Surely something has changed for him to see it necessary to find a partner to fund development of a marketable product/treatment.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lesson; don't ever trust press releases of some "news website".

Unfortunately, the press release was not correct, because the reporter misunderstood to our collaboration thesis. We are planning to study on the development of human skin with correct skin appendage in plastic wells and do the drug screening by using the assay system. However, we have decided the collaboration with other big company to develop the hair regeneration including preclinical study and in human. We will do the press-release on the middle April in this year. Thank you for your interests to our study. Sincerely, Takashi

Still good news though. This is the first step towards possibly something great in the future. Hope he gets to the human clinical trials as soon as possible.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Lesson; don't ever trust press releases of some "news website".

Still good news though. This is the first step towards possibly something great in the future. Hope he gets to the human clinical trials as soon as possible.
Why he will do clinical trials when he still didn’t solve all previous problems?