Mature Hairline Or male pattern baldness, Advice Desperately Needed.

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is your family history of hairloss like? if there are no nw7s you're probably good

My father has a pretty full head of hair more or less, some thinning and what not but he is 58 and has what I would say is great hair for his age. His father died with not too much hair but definitely some and he had hair for most of his life. My mother's father has a pretty full top for an 84 year old I'd say, definitely some balding but more or less full coverage all over. From what I see of pics of a Norwood 7, nothing like that in my family. Do you agree I'm an NW2 or am I not at the 2 level yet.

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It might recede further, check for thinning every now and then so if you are balding you can catch it early and get on treatments. You're all good right now.
Do you think worth it for me to jump on a treatment now or no?

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Post-haircut photos with and without wrinkled forehead.

Attachments

• Photo on 4-27-21 at 11.41 AM.jpg
    Photo on 4-27-21 at 11.41 AM.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Photo on 4-27-21 at 11.40 AM.jpg
    Photo on 4-27-21 at 11.40 AM.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 204

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think worth it for me to jump on a treatment now or no?
With the photos you posted its hard to tell if there's any thinning / miniaturization going on at the hairline because the picture quality isn't that great.
Judging by your family history and these pictures I don't think you need treatment. I'm sceptical about "maturing hairlines" as I think it's mostly people in denial of balding that like to tell themselves and other people that they are not balding and in my personal experience, when I first came to this site 2 years ago people said I had a mature hairline but 2 years on and i'm in the early stages of diffuse thinning.
You seem to have no thinning anywhere judging by these pictures you're probably ok for now, if you notice your hairline receding past a nw2 or any thinning at the crown, get on finasteride.

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
With the photos you posted its hard to tell if there's any thinning / miniaturization going on at the hairline because the picture quality isn't that great.
Judging by your family history and these pictures I don't think you need treatment. I'm sceptical about "maturing hairlines" as I think it's mostly people in denial of balding that like to tell themselves and other people that they are not balding and in my personal experience, when I first came to this site 2 years ago people said I had a mature hairline but 2 years on and i'm in the early stages of diffuse thinning.
You seem to have no thinning anywhere judging by these pictures you're probably ok for now, if you notice your hairline receding past a nw2 or any thinning at the crown, get on finasteride.
Wow so you don't even believe in the mature hairline. Different take than tggill32. Interesting to get all the different takes. Would you say I am currently at NW2 or am I still in NW1 territory.

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow so you don't even believe in the mature hairline. Different take than tggill32. Interesting to get all the different takes. Would you say I am currently at NW2 or am I still in NW1 territory.
I'd say NW1.5. Most people with mature hairlines still end up balding to some extent later on in life, it's just a slower process. If you look at a young Jude Law, he had a V shaped hairline with good density, that tggill guy would tell him he has a maturing hairline, now look at Judes hair loss nowadays.

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd say NW1.5. Most people with mature hairlines still end up balding to some extent later on in life, it's just a slower process. If you look at a young Jude Law, he had a V shaped hairline with good density, that tggill guy would tell him he has a maturing hairline, now look at Judes hair loss nowadays.
Do you see a whole lot of recession from my 2018/2019 pics to now? Hard for me to tell on myself

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can post some more pics with wet slicked back hair later too

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
These are with my hair wet right after a shower. Please note in the above head one i do have a shaved in part on my right side (haircut yesterday), the only recession im worried about is in regard to temples as everywhere else is exceedingly thick. Thank you for all your help guys!

Attachments

• side 2.jpeg
    side 2.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 198
  • side 1.jpeg
    side 1.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 209
  • tre.jpeg
    tre.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 209
  • dos.jpeg
    dos.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 203
  • uno.jpeg
    uno.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 206

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
These are with my hair wet right after a shower. Please note in the above head one i do have a shaved in part on my right side (haircut yesterday), the only recession im worried about is in regard to temples as everywhere else is exceedingly thick. Thank you for all your help guys!
Hair looks great wet, hair always looks thinner when it's wet, even on guys with full heads of hair, you look like a nw2 from those pics but when my hair loss started my left temple looked similar to what yours looks like, I had those tiny hairs just like you, I wasn't sure if i was balding so I left it for 2 years before deciding to get on finasteride. I'm not sure that you need any treatments. My hairline looks just like yours except it started thinning this year.
DSC_0002~2.JPG

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair looks great wet, hair always looks thinner when it's wet, even on guys with full heads of hair, you look like a nw2 from those pics but when my hair loss started my left temple looked similar to what yours looks like, I had those tiny hairs just like you, I wasn't sure if i was balding so I left it for 2 years before deciding to get on finasteride. I'm not sure that you need any treatments. My hairline looks just like yours except it started thinning this year.View attachment 161195
Oh wow ok I see what you mean. How old are you now? As I mentioned earlier I turn 24 in like 3ish months so not sure how I will progress at this point. Do you think I should hop on treatments or at the NW1.5/2 stage it's not worth it? After looking at a chart I'd say my father is an N2 with high density for his age and minimal crown recession, and my mother's father is like an N2/3 with strong hairline and front but some definite crown recession.

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh wow ok I see what you mean. How old are you now? As I mentioned earlier I turn 24 in like 3ish months so not sure how I will progress at this point. Do you think I should hop on treatments or at the NW1.5/2 stage it's not worth it? After looking at a chart I'd say my father is an N2 with high density for his age and minimal crown recession, and my mother's father is like an N2/3 with strong hairline and front but some definite crown recession.
I'm 21 atm and I first noticed it when I was 19, my hair was completely dense like yours is but the whole hair line thinned out a bit through 2020 to 2021, I don't think you need them yet because of your family history, you could just stop receding right now and have the same hair as your dad. My dad is a dense nw2 at 55 but my maternal grandfather started balding pretty young, which is another reason I got on finasteride. You don't have any young nw7s in your family so I think you might be good.

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 21 atm and I first noticed it when I was 19, my hair was completely dense like yours is but the whole hair line thinned out a bit through 2020 to 2021, I don't think you need them yet because of your family history, you could just stop receding right now and have the same hair as your dad. My dad is a dense nw2 at 55 but my maternal grandfather started balding pretty young, which is another reason I got on finasteride. You don't have any young nw7s in your family so I think you might be good.
Yeah no NW7s period in my family that I can think of. One of my mom's cousins but his other side of the family is all bald basically that I'm not related to, I think he takes after them. Also that's a pretty distant relation. I have always had the widow's peak (my mom has one so directly inherited that) but have similar like actual hair to my father, who does not have a widow's peak, just a bigger forehead with a straight hairline. Really appreciate all of your help, just to confirm you think I've recessed from my earlier pics to an NW2? I know in my earlier stuff people were saying I was a NW1 that was prob when I was like 21/22 years old. I still have the strong temple points and it's all pretty coarse and thick all over so idk where I stand, but def have the widow's peak. Your hair also didn't look bad to me at all, I think you have a solid hairline.

Last edited:

tggill32

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mature hairlines are a very real phenomenon . 95% of males get a mature hairline and it’s a term recognised by dermatologists. A mature hairline shows you are prone to male pattern baldness but it shouldn’t move for at least a decade once settled. You have to remember where your posting, a HAIRLOSS forum, hence most of these guys continued to thin after getting a ‘mature’ hairline and hence don’t believe in the term. Honestly, don’t let these idiots worry you. Check your scalp for thinning once a month and get on with your life. There is clearly little to no recession taken place from 2 years ago.

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mature hairlines are a very real phenomenon . 95% of males get a mature hairline and it’s a term recognised by dermatologists. A mature hairline shows you are prone to male pattern baldness but it shouldn’t move for at least a decade once settled. You have to remember where your posting, a HAIRLOSS forum, hence most of these guys continued to thin after getting a ‘mature’ hairline and hence don’t believe in the term. Honestly, don’t let these idiots worry you. Check your scalp for thinning once a month and get on with your life. There is clearly little to no recession taken place from 2 years ago.

Wow ok thank you! So I'm an Norwood 1.5/2 (the norwood thing confuses me) that doesn't have anything to worry about? Ok!

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow ok thank you! So I'm an Norwood 1.5/2 (the norwood thing confuses me) that doesn't have anything to worry about? Ok!
I'm not trying to worry you about having male pattern baldness like this guy said people here are doing, we are just trying to help you, because a lot of guys ignore their hair loss until its too late. If you see any signs of thinning behind the nw2 area get on finasteride asap but right now you don't need any treatment.

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not trying to worry you about having male pattern baldness like this guy said people here are doing, we are just trying to help you, because a lot of guys ignore their hair loss until its too late. If you see any signs of thinning behind the nw2 area get on finasteride asap but right now you don't need any treatment.
Absolutely! Really really appreciate your take and your advice. Very helpful information!

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Just keep taking photos of your hair every 6 months. If you start to go beyond a NW2 then you know it's definitely male pattern baldness. If your crown gets thinner than you know it's male pattern balding. I started treatments when my hairline had less recession than yours because I noticed it getting thinner all over but I had autoimmune problems with my thyroid.

Joot

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just keep taking photos of your hair every 6 months. If you start to go beyond a NW2 then you know it's definitely male pattern baldness. If your crown gets thinner than you know it's male pattern balding. I started treatments when my hairline had less recession than yours because I noticed it getting thinner all over but I had autoimmune problems with my thyroid.

Makes sense and will do. Yeah no thinning on crown at all, have a very thick crown. No real thinning anywhere to be quite honest all of my hair is extremely thick. So you would consider me an NW2 right now rather than an NW1.5 as someone said earlier?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Makes sense and will do. Yeah no thinning on crown at all, have a very thick crown. No real thinning anywhere to be quite honest all of my hair is extremely thick. So you would consider me an NW2 right now rather than an NW1.5 as someone said earlier?
I would say you are between a NW1 and a NW2. I am too. If you want to call that NW1.5 you can but scale goes by whole numbers.