Making A Custom Topical Hair Loss Treatment

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
surely not the 17-alpha-estradiol at that %.
watery semen after nofapping for a long time depends on the lubricant liquid. the longer the sex, the more watery the semen.

Yeah, that seems more likely. I will keep evaluating it for two more months and see if its effective enough to candidate for the topical solution.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
What was your username there?

I was mostly a lurker, maybe made one or two posts. I think I used a random handle.
But, I hung around there a lot reading, and I knew your user name seemed familiar.

I definitely have Androgenetic Alopecia and unfortunately Peat's ideas didn't help me with that. I think progesterone might be worth the most from all the supplements and food, in this context.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
good initiative @Swoop; my 2 cents here.
This is a specific example of a variety of compounds that some specialized It dermatologists are prescribing.
  • [A1] minoxidil sulfate 5% -- we all know what's for; 5% sulf is approx 3,6% minoxidil.
  • [A2] Progesterone 1% -- anti 5ar; mild androgen receptor blocker
  • [A3] 17 alfa estradiolo 0,05% -- the ellcranell threshold is 0,025%, but up to 0,1% is well tolerated too
  • [A4] Ketoconazole 1% -- I'm not using Nizoral so often
  • [C1] Hydrocortisone Butyrrate 0,07% -- weak and bearable cortisone; in case of Telogen Effluvium
  • [C2] Triamcinolone Acetonide 0,005% -- (same as in Kenacort) very small % of a more potent cortisone; still for Telogen Effluvium
  • [V1] Bisabolol 0,05% -- a lenitive alcohol
  • [V2] Transcutol 5% -- solvent & penetration enhancer
  • [V3] Alcohol 95° and some water (alcohol is approx 80%)
A1-4: actives; C1-2: cortisone; V1-3: vehicle.

As you can see, there is no proper AR blocker; for that some add cypro 1% to this.
I'm using CB in a separate application.

I've been using this, 2 - 2,5ml ED, since 2002, and I'm still using it in parallel to any other treatment so far.
My take: for non extremely aggressive MPBs, this can help as a near-to-maintenance treatment.

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
I was mostly a lurker, maybe made one or two posts. I think I used a random handle.
But, I hung around there a lot reading, and I knew your user name seemed familiar.

I definitely have Androgenetic Alopecia and unfortunately Peat's ideas didn't help me with that. I think progesterone might be worth the most from all the supplements and food, in this context.

For me, much of the peaty stuff speeds up hair loss(as in, amount of hairs lost in a day). I was often on the forum just telling people to eat some fatty meat with salty potatoes if they want to feel warm, instead of living on OJ and skim milk. If you think there's a connection between hairs shed and actual progression of Androgenetic Alopecia, maybe see if you can find some things by trial and error that decrease that. I found some aspects of my general state that seem to contribute, and I modulate them with various lifestyle markers. But heck, I have no idea what that will do to my hair in 10 years time, does seem to make me feel good now, though. Good luck with your hair-maintaining/regaining endeavors!

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is some of the anti-androgens ive been reviewing lately:
finasteride
spironolactone
Progesterone/derivatives
Estradiol/derivatives
Diane-35
Alfatradiol
Ru
Cb
Melatonin

Im planning to add 1 mg finasteride in 100 ml alfatradiol solution after evaluating alfatradiol itself and after that im planing to add 3-7 diane 35 pills in the solution.
My approach is microdosing the most potent anti-androgens

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
good initiative @Swoop; my 2 cents here.
This is a specific example of a variety of compounds that some specialized It dermatologists are prescribing.
  • [A1] minoxidil sulfate 5% -- we all know what's for; 5% sulf is approx 3,6% minoxidil.
  • [A2] Progesterone 1% -- anti 5ar; mild androgen receptor blocker
  • [A3] 17 alfa estradiolo 0,05% -- the ellcranell threshold is 0,025%, but up to 0,1% is well tolerated too
  • [A4] Ketoconazole 1% -- I'm not using Nizoral so often
  • [C1] Hydrocortisone Butyrrate 0,07% -- weak and bearable cortisone; in case of Telogen Effluvium
  • [C2] Triamcinolone Acetonide 0,005% -- (same as in Kenacort) very small % of a more potent cortisone; still for Telogen Effluvium
  • [V1] Bisabolol 0,05% -- a lenitive alcohol
  • [V2] Transcutol 5% -- solvent & penetration enhancer
  • [V3] Alcohol 95° and some water (alcohol is approx 80%)
A1-4: actives; C1-2: cortisone; V1-3: vehicle.

As you can see, there is no proper AR blocker; for that some add cypro 1% to this.
I'm using CB in a separate application.

I've been using this, 2 - 2,5ml ED, since 2002, and I'm still using it in parallel to any other treatment so far.
My take: for non extremely aggressive MPBs, this can help as a near-to-maintenance treatment.

Im devided on the efficacy of progesterone. Studies shows that its a potent 5ar inhibitor. But should in it also rise the level of testosterone in scalp. There was one study I think it was for 6 months 12 men on topical progesterone and 6 of them maintained and the rest kept losing hair. Not so effective. However there is some studies on hydroxyprogesterone that shows hair regrowth.
How well did you maintain between 2002-2009? Did you hade any regrowth? What is the consensus of glucocorticoids in these forums? Alfatradiol 0,1% safe on what bases? Have you experienced any sides of that solution?

Swoop, I think you really might wanna look into alfatradiol 0,05-0,1 % assuming its safe that has more evidencial back-up than s-eqoul.

Last edited:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im devided on the efficacy of progesterone. Studies shows that its a potent 5ar inhibitor. But should in it also rise the level of testosterone in scalp. There was one study I think it was for 6 months 12 men on topical progesterone and 6 of them maintained and the rest kept losing hair. Not so effective. However there is some studies on hydroxyprogesterone that shows hair regrowth.
How well did you maintain between 2002-2009? Did you hade any regrowth? What is the consensus of glucocorticoids in these forums? Alfatradiol 0,1% safe on what bases? Have you experienced any sides of that solution?

Swoop, I think you really might wanna look into alfatradiol 0,05-0,1 % assuming its safe that has more evidencial back-up than s-eqoul.

There are different kinds of progesterone. Maybe not all are effective.

1% Hydroxy seems to do something:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2436423

However I will say that P4 (regular human progesterone) is definitely doing something when put topically on the skin. It makes my nipples burn like finasteride did in the beginning, suggesting either a reduction in DHT or a rise in estrogen.

P.S. I use fairly low doses, maybe 3-4 mg. I think if you used it in a high dose like 50-100 mg, you could probably wipe out most DHT and come close to chemical castration. I think. Not sure if this has actually been tested.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score

we know progesterone is not a 100% hair saver. It might increase T since it blocks 5ar2, but less then finasteride imho.
the study is nice, but 12 patients is not statistically significant...
17-alpha-estradiol is ok until 0,1% by anectdotes and clinical experience. Still, I'm playing it safe an stay on 0,05%.

from my side, no sides. Sometimes I think I have a slightly lower libido some hours after applying it. But, averaging over those many year, it might be libido fluctuations.
2002-2009 I was more or less stable in my mid vertex (front transplanted.. too late to save it in 2002). Then I wanted to improve some thinning areas, and started oral finasteride, until 2015. No dramatic difference, still maintenance. Maybe I wouldn't have maintained with that solution only, and finasteride was key. Or maybe not, who knows.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Dench57, Yeah will be powder. spironolactone because it might be more accessible for people (peace of mind). Plus I'm generally curious how much such a topical could do.

@constrictedvoid, Well that's just my very rough prediction. I don't know for sure. It's just a experiment. Better to see it as a fun experiment and go in with low expectations I guess. It should surely help some people though no doubt. I mean if some people get some benefit out of spironolactone solo.. With this you'll have other angles covered too. That red line in the first post is just a random example. Perhaps some will be able to stay above baseline for 2 years, who knows.

Regarding everyone, thanks for your feedback. The aim of this topical is also to make it pretty tolerable for everyone, while it should still be effective. I think we need to start with a basis, and this basis seems pretty good to me as a start. You can't just dump everything into one topical too as all ingredients need to be dissolved, plus stability is always a problem. This one is already 5-6 ingredients. We can always switch out ingredients or add other ones later.

Last edited:

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would you get off finasteride and risk losing more hair if it already works for you? I love this idea but I'm just curious why you would want to be the guinea pig.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Now to the interesting part. I have been applying to only my frontal 2x a day with a fairly big amount 1-2 ml. It is suggested to use 3ml over the whole scalp region 1x days.
It seems as my sheeding completely has stopped. My scalp feels nice. Not seeing any regrowth.
Hey kevand, can you give the source of the alfatradiol youre using please. Also are you mixing it with other carriers or anything.
Thanks man

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would you get off finasteride and risk losing more hair if it already works for you? I love this idea but I'm just curious why you would want to be the guinea pig.

I was going off for a few months anyway. That's what I do lately. I cycle RU and finasteride with an off period but not simultaneously.

So this will be better as I'll be actually using a topical in my off period, just as a experiment. If it doesn't work then I'll hop on RU/finasteride again later, not a problem at all.

WangMQ

Established Member
Reaction score
Swoop, I was picturing in my head how your topical might turn out effective and lead to a small business around these forums before any of those official "cures" got released at all! LOL

(Supposed that members start making it in bulk and selling it. Alright I'm thinking to far I admit)

I think the biggest problem we might have is members using different ingredient sources and when they have different results we can't be sure whether it's from the topical itself, the difference in personal reactions, or the sources. So in short too many variables.

Keep on it!

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Very good idea, by the way, why not adding grow factors ( you can get minoxidil as powder for cheap, adenosine and KGF as really cheap ( go to skinactives.com for kgf). By the way, a little of tretinoin could be good and a little WNT agonist, like SM. What about the vehicle ?

abcdefg

Reaction score
We need someone to put this kind of thing together and get it manufactured/sold in larger quantities. Then it could be tested that it actually works versus just theory it could. IMO a lot of that stuff you have in this is already going to be in that brotzu lotion so why reinvent the wheel? He is doing the same thing in less then a year time. Just wait for that.
When you just list things and people have to collect it all, make it all themselves its going to remain a very small minority of people that ever do it. So prices will remain high in small quantities unless you dont care about money I guess. Stopping androgens your still down to s-equol so you need that to work to even get somewhere near finasteride.

kuba197

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very good idea, by the way, why not adding grow factors ( you can get minoxidil as powder for cheap, adenosine and KGF as really cheap ( go to skinactives.com for kgf). By the way, a little of tretinoin could be good and a little WNT agonist, like SM. What about the vehicle ?
Dgla is claimed to regrow hair.