Low Testosterone Levels = Accelerated male pattern baldness?

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
you do look english or irish

few other questions, not all hairloss can be grouped into one thing, I am just hitting a problem i think is common

Are you in good phyiscal shape and do you have bags under the eyes

How are your veins on your arms are they easy to see on surface or are they sunken down in the arm

I have been researching this stuff for 13 years, and have talked to many people, I am no expert just sharing peoples stories that I have heard, and grouping them together.

- - - Updated - - -

i didnt look at your location before i wrote english irish

- - - Updated - - -

most people I have talked to are english irish ancestory including myself.

English.
those are fairly subjective questions.
most people say i am in good physical shape and i've never had a comment about bags under my eyes.
i can see veins in my arms. they look very visible when i exercise or tense my arm.

someguuy

Reaction score
i know they are subjective and I know i sounds weird you guys are right that people have fatty liver and dont lose hair. Its just if you are prone to dht then
a fatty liver or hypothyroid makes the hairloss times 5 times worse early on.

Antman it doesnt seem that you are part of the i call nash hairloss guys. Duatesteride on its own should help you alot. I dont know if you have tried it. I also think since
your testosorone is pretty good you shouldnt have the limp noodle side affect that goes with the guys that are already low on t. Your hairloss pattern does look more male pattern baldness, then nash or hypothyroid look.

I would say go to unitedpharmacies.com and get Dutas its real I have been on it and seen results.

- - - Updated - - -

only other intersting thing to look at antman would be your hemoglobin, and red blood count, alot of english people are low on this
and that can really contribute to early hairloss

- - - Updated - - -

other thing you forgot is everyone has DHT, some people even have higher dht and no hairloss, the fact is you can take finasteride and get your DHT levels way
lower than someone who never loses his hair, and you still lose it slowly. The fact is no single treatment is effective at curing hairloss.
So i am showing some other things.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
i got my blood tested again.
(1) 21st March 2012 (3 months on finasteride, 2 months on dutasteride)
(2) 12th September 2012 (12 days off finasteride, 5.5 months off dutasteride)
(1) to (2)
T = 15.3 to 24.1 nmol/L (11.0 - 40.0)
SHBG = 38 to 29 nmol/L (10.0 - 70.0)
Free T = 289 to 544 pmol/L (260 - 740)

Haemoglobin = 151 to 153 g/L (135-175)

Fast Glucose = 4.6 to 4.2 nmol/L (3.6 - 7.5)

if this means anything to anyone I would greatly appreciate feedback with respect to the effects of finasteride/dutasteride and hair loss

someguuy

Reaction score
your blood work shows improvement since getting of that ****

t is higher

glucose is better

dute is really hard on liver

ryder

Established Member
Reaction score
so finasteride can raise TSH levels, which is bad for hairloss.. lol.

so confusing. my T levels went up after starting finasteride, but i find blood work varies so much, one day my test can be 15, one day it can be 10.

all i know is im a)always hot, b)always sweat if hot or anxious, c) have oily skin, d)have high TSH numbers.. 2.4-3.6 -- characteristics of hypothyroidism i guess? and if so, could that be causing my male pattern baldness? im 30 and in great shape, eat well (aside from frozen chicken breasts all the time that have isolated soya protein)

someguuy

Reaction score
ryder i would put money you have nash to some level

finasteride affects the liver, liver controls thyroid, tsh is showing how much horomone is produce by pitautary if the thyroid becomes weak and slightly enlarged
more tsh is dumped into it to get it working

Usually if your tsh is off your thyroid is only 30 percent working

If researchers pushed they would see the evidence of nash liver problems and hairloss

Only way to diagnose nash is through a liver biopsy,no blood or scan can positively say you have it for sure.

So its way underdiagnosed

Are you english or irish decident they have the most problems with NASH

alarkan

Reaction score
I'm 40 and have been using proscar for 3 years now. After the second year of prosocar my hair loss patterns were returning. It was determined that my testosterone levels were too high so my doctor perscribe cyproterone and estrace which seems to be working great so far after 8 months. I've been getting some discomfort in my breast, but my chest still looks normal. I'm afraid to change my regimen at this point afer finding something that finall works.

Is anyone going through the same medication or similar experience?

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
This thread really is convincing me to go get a blood test. How was your hair loss pattern? Diffuse?

someguuy

Reaction score
mine was night at 18

- - - Updated - - -

The thing night if it was dht only everyone has dht and when you are on finasteride your dht is way below what a non hairloss persons is?

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
@someguuy
can you post your experience with diet change? have you changed any other part of your lifestyle that has helped?

ryder

Established Member
Reaction score
ryder i would put money you have nash to some level

finasteride affects the liver, liver controls thyroid, tsh is showing how much horomone is produce by pitautary if the thyroid becomes weak and slightly enlarged
more tsh is dumped into it to get it working

Usually if your tsh is off your thyroid is only 30 percent working

If researchers pushed they would see the evidence of nash liver problems and hairloss

Only way to diagnose nash is through a liver biopsy,no blood or scan can positively say you have it for sure.

So its way underdiagnosed

Are you english or irish decident they have the most problems with NASH

im white but not irish or english.

so you are saying finasteride could be hurting my situation? mind you ive always been hot / sweated / oily even before finasteride.

but basically in your opinion, finasteride is harming my liver which is affecting my tsh and hurting my hair.. so which is more important, stopping DHT through finasteride, or fixing my TSH through stopping finasteride?

since my last blood test 2 months ago, i started upping my finasteride dosage to 1mg a day vs 1.25 every other day, so if i go get blood work done again in a month, i'll beable to see how my TSH levels changed by upping finasteride... although i always worry blood tests vary so much, one day you get this #, the very next day you get that #..

someguuy

Reaction score
@someguuy
can you post your experience with diet change? have you changed any other part of your lifestyle that has helped?

Antman I quit eating sugars, and only eat fresh chicken that i cook. Alot of stirfry.
Again I am on some stuff

Nizoral
Folligen
Laserwand

These things seem to be working.

The Duat defintely slowed hairloss down but I was never gaining and always losing

- - - Updated - - -

im white but not irish or english.

so you are saying finasteride could be hurting my situation? mind you ive always been hot / sweated / oily even before finasteride.

but basically in your opinion, finasteride is harming my liver which is affecting my tsh and hurting my hair.. so which is more important, stopping DHT through finasteride, or fixing my TSH through stopping finasteride?

since my last blood test 2 months ago, i started upping my finasteride dosage to 1mg a day vs 1.25 every other day, so if i go get blood work done again in a month, i'll beable to see how my TSH levels changed by upping finasteride... although i always worry blood tests vary so much, one day you get this #, the very next day you get that #..

Nizoral 2 percent is anti DHT
Another one is crinagen, the azeliac acid in it is antidht, without systematic effects, because it is topical local.
DHT is not good but there are other major contributing factors that people arent talking about
Getting off finasteride is not going to automatically fix your liver/thyroid, you have to go throw multiple steps one of them is finasteride

Folligen should help you more than finasteride. I thought finasteride sucked and duat was okay.

ryder

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 40 and have been using proscar for 3 years now. After the second year of prosocar my hair loss patterns were returning. It was determined that my testosterone levels were too high so my doctor perscribe cyproterone and estrace which seems to be working great so far after 8 months. I've been getting some discomfort in my breast, but my chest still looks normal. I'm afraid to change my regimen at this point afer finding something that finall works.

If finasteride is upping your Test, that means there is less DHT being created, no? so the question would be, what is worse, higher DHT or higher test?

Nizoral 2 percent is anti DHT
Another one is crinagen, the azeliac acid in it is antidht, without systematic effects, because it is topical local.
DHT is not good but there are other major contributing factors that people arent talking about
Getting off finasteride is not going to automatically fix your liver/thyroid, you have to go throw multiple steps one of them is finasteride

Folligen should help you more than finasteride. I thought finasteride sucked and duat was okay.

would finasteride + folligen + a TSH lowering diet be best? that way you reduce both the type 1 and type 2?

or do you believe the negative effects of finasteride (raising TSH lvls) is greater than the positive effects (reduced DHT type 1) ?

someguuy

Reaction score
finasteride is not any good maybe duatesteride, but throwing your hormones off in your body is not a great thing

Propecia is not really good to say the least, its only okay for people that are experiencing slow hairloss.

Again this youthful going bald in a couple of years, is not even what these drugs where tested on for the FDA trials.

They were tested mostly on guys in their thirties that had some crown problems and a little diffuse hairloss

I am confident you will see better resutls, with crinagen, folligen, laser, and nizoral without systematic effects

- - - Updated - - -

and i am not one of those nature remedies guys, you can put herbs into
your body that are just as bad as the pills.

yassin

Established Member
Reaction score
what's your free testosterone level?
that's the part of testosterone which is converted to DHT and affect your male pattern baldness
so I guess your free testosterone is normal , so your DHT is at normal level and you progress male pattern baldness like any other guy

ryder

Established Member
Reaction score
just got new bloodwork in, will post the results after work

right on.

i'm still wondering if finasteride raises my TSH lvls, maybe finasteride is hurting my hairloss rather than helping?

god such a headache, there is no simple answer..

abcdefg

Reaction score
It does not make sense to me that low T would somehow cause male pattern baldness. I mean male pattern baldness is literally caused by T and it getting switched to DHT so the less T you have the less hair loss you have. Its possible though having low estrogen or hair very sensitive to androgens could still cause your hair loss to happen I guess.

hare

Reaction score
It does not make sense to me that low T would somehow cause male pattern baldness. I mean male pattern baldness is literally caused by T and it getting switched to DHT so the less T you have the less hair loss you have. Its possible though having low estrogen or hair very sensitive to androgens could still cause your hair loss to happen I guess.

High DHT and low T aren't mutually exclusive. Studies show that men with androgenic alopecia typically have lower total testosterone.

P51

Established Member
Reaction score
For what its worth, I just went to an endo because I have low T (260, normal range is 300-100 with someone my age being around 700), and he said TRT would probably actually help.