Low Testosterone Levels = Accelerated male pattern baldness?

MPBfighter

Reaction score
I am a 24 year old diagnosed with low testosterone (288 ng/dL) and my male pattern baldness is VERY aggressive. Is anyone else in the same boat as I am? Is there a correlation between low testosterone levels and male pattern baldness among the users of this board?

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am a 24 year old diagnosed with low testosterone (288 ng/dL) and my male pattern baldness is VERY aggressive. Is anyone else in the same boat as I am? Is there a correlation between low testosterone levels and male pattern baldness among the users of this board?

how did you even suspect that you have low testosterone? Yes, low T can accelerate hair loss because your body starts making more DHT to compensate for missing T

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i found out when i recently had a bloodtest that my T levels were low

yes low T is a big problem. What else did they find? There has to be a cause for this. T doesn't drop that low naturally at your age

MPBfighter

Reaction score
everything is was normal besides my cholesterol being a little above the normal. the only thing that was unusual was my low Testosterone. this was before i began taking finasteride. i am going to get my bloodwork done again later this week and let everyone know how it goes.

MPBfighter

Reaction score
When was the blood test taken? When did you start taking finasteride.? I've read that finasteride. will give you a bump in T.

Please let us know when you have the new bloodwork done! I'm very curious about this!

the blood test was taken in April 2012 and I started taking finasteride the following month

- - - Updated - - -

question for you: are you fat?

i am far from fat. 5'6" and 140lbs

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
i guess i am in a similar boat to u. when i was 21 (22 now) - after 2 months of taking dutasteride i got my testosterone measured - it was as low as it can be and still within the normal band. just before taking dutasteride my hair loss rate was very high.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dutasteride lowered your testosterone? yeah almost everyone on propeciahelp say that...

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know what my testosterone levels were before dutasteride. i suspect that my testosterone levels are mostly affected by my inability to cope with stress and the way my body consequently deals with it. This suspicion arose after reading a clinical trial on Behavioural cognitive therapy for men with HIV and it points out that after therapy their testosterone levels rose. I don't have HIV but I wonder if the stress from HIV has the same effect as the stress from other life issues.

MPBfighter

Reaction score
i guess i am in a similar boat to u. when i was 21 (22 now) - after 2 months of taking dutasteride i got my testosterone measured - it was as low as it can be and still within the normal band. just before taking dutasteride my hair loss rate was very high.

your situation is a little different. in my case, my T levels were as low as it can be before i started taking finasteride. do you think after taking finasteride my levels are even lower?

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
your situation is a little different. in my case, my T levels were as low as it can be before i started taking finasteride. do you think after taking finasteride my levels are even lower?

it is possible for your testosterone to have decreased after finasteride but i wouldn't go barking up the 'blame it on finasteride' alley.

to have healthy hormone levels i'm focusing on good nutrition, high intensity exercise, relaxation techniques (yoga), and trying to speak as openly as possible about myself to people who want that sort of friendship level. if i can keep it up, i'm gonna check my androgen levels sometime next year.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
how did you even suspect that you have low testosterone? Yes, low T can accelerate hair loss because your body starts making more DHT to compensate for missing T

Interesting, I didnt know that.
I suspect I too have low testosterone. And I had extremely aggressive hair loss.

centrum

Reaction score
Interesting, I didnt know that.
I suspect I too have low testosterone. And I had extremely aggressive hair loss.

Hmm I also had low testosterone before when my hair loss started. the testosterone has gotten better but now my hair loss is already pretty bad and it seems to be getting worse.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if you mean low testosterone levels CAUSE male pattern baldness, then no, surely not

- - - Updated - - -

dutasteride lowered your testosterone? yeah almost everyone on propeciahelp say that...

IIRC it increases free T

MPBfighter

Reaction score
When was the blood test taken? When did you start taking finasteride.? I've read that finasteride. will give you a bump in T.

Please let us know when you have the new bloodwork done! I'm very curious about this!

the blood work is in....

LOW 343 ng/dL (reference interval 348-1197)

my T levels increased by 55 ng/dL since my last blood test (pre-finasteride), but that is probably because i took my test in the morning this time around.

is anyone else in the same boat as me??? i have a very strong feeling that the cause of my hairloss is abnormally low levels of T

Experienced Member
Reaction score
oh my... how are you feeling though? If you're always tired then that could be hypothyroidism and that could also be the cause for your low T levels.

someguuy

Reaction score
here to help you guys

low t is a sign of liver problems if you want your hair here is what you do.

No more alcohol, No more pop, stay away from fatty foods or carbs, you need your liver to heal, you probably have some level of nash that the doctors wont find.

Your gallbladder is probably not good. laser combs are usually pretty good for this, duetseride will slow it. Pantene Prov V shampoo and Nizoral.

Stay away from minoxidil

Its not the low t thats killing your loss its the screwed up liver/thyroid combo

I guarentee your tsh is above 2.0