Low Testosterone Levels = Accelerated male pattern baldness?

someguuy

Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7548816

not a theory

I was on meds for hypothyroid read about liver stuff and decided to take a chance with it. My tsh has went from 5.2 to 1.8 and I have only changed diet.
There are some people with hypothyroid but its kind of rare, everyone has liver problems, the japs livers are still in better shape from eating better

http://www.androderm.com/p/what_is_t_deficiency/index.asp

- - - Updated - - -

test range: 10-30 nmol/L

so finasteride could be making things worse by increasing my TSH #'s? lol ouch. i wish i had gotten a DHT test prior to finasteride. i still haven't gotten one.

what is also odd is i sweat a lot, have oily hair/skin, and can't handle heat.. which i have read is associated with low TSH #'s (hyperthyroid), not high (hypo) like i have..

sound like a broken record, but those symptoms could be hypothyroid or nash, itchy scalp is really a symptom of auto immune caused by nash or fatty liver

ryder

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7548816

not a theory

I was on meds for hypothyroid read about liver stuff and decided to take a chance with it. My tsh has went from 5.2 to 1.8 and I have only changed diet.
There are some people with hypothyroid but its kind of rare, everyone has liver problems, the japs livers are still in better shape from eating better

http://www.androderm.com/p/what_is_t_deficiency/index.asp

- - - Updated - - -

sound like a broken record, but those symptoms could be hypothyroid or nash, itchy scalp is really a symptom of auto immune caused by nash or fatty liver

Nash?

Experienced Member
Reaction score

MV5BMjE3MTY2NjA1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTY4MjY5MQ@@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

ryder

Established Member
Reaction score
i also eat a ton of frozen chicken breasts (the 'healthy' ones) pretty much daily and noticed they contain soya protien.. that plus tns of broccoli probably isn't helping my TSH levels..

are there sides to TSH lowering medication? especially while taking them with finasteride?

MPBfighter

Reaction score
i also eat a ton of frozen chicken breasts (the 'healthy' ones) pretty much daily and noticed they contain soya protien.. that plus tns of broccoli probably isn't helping my TSH levels..

are there sides to TSH lowering medication? especially while taking them with finasteride?

would like to know this as well

someguuy

Reaction score
[h=1]Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis[/h]
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/nash/

MPBfighter trust me eating better is night and day.

TSH medications can cause heart rhythm problems and kill you they also can be toxic to liver.

finasteride is a joke you got to atleast get on dutas

finasteride doesnt stop enough dht to be effective.

Both finasteride and dutasteride are somewhat toxic to liver.

male pattern baldness fighter quit eating frozen foods its the worse, fresh food no processed. I may sound like one of those quack Doctor's i am not
just a guy that was losing his hair that learned somethings

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can these tests be asked for from a UK GP under the nhs?

Experienced Member
Reaction score
this thread has gone retard...

there are no drugs to "lower TSH". TSH by itself is not what you want to adjust. High/Low TSH is just a symptom of your thyroid gone wrong. Either start taking "thyroid support" products or if it's too late already or you have hashimoto's then just take thyroid hormones directly. It's not that complicated.

BY THE WAY(I just remembered this): no need to do any tests. Measure your body temperature right now. If it's significantly below 98.6 F and it's like that constantly then you're very likely hypothyroid.

You don't have to adjust your diet!!! As long as you're not eating cheeseburgers everyday and keep good foods and bad foods in balance you're doing fine. Too many people with bad diets get to keep their hair. Obviously diet is not a factor here(at least not significantly), something else must be off.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
what is the point of lowering TSH?
mine is 0.8 mU/L (0.3 - 3.5) and i still have low T and hair loss.

MPBfighter

Reaction score

there are no drugs to "lower TSH". TSH by itself is not what you want to adjust. High/Low TSH is just a symptom of your thyroid gone wrong. Either start taking "thyroid support" products or if it's too late already or you have hashimoto's then just take thyroid hormones directly. It's not that complicated.

BY THE WAY(I just remembered this): no need to do any tests. Measure your body temperature right now. If it's significantly below 98.6 F and it's like that constantly then you're very likely hypothyroid.

You don't have to adjust your diet!!! As long as you're not eating cheeseburgers everyday and keep good foods and bad foods in balance you're doing fine. Too many people with bad diets get to keep their hair. Obviously diet is not a factor here(at least not significantly), something else must be off.

thanks for steering this thread back on track 2020, i'm going to try to see an endocrinologist and discuss my options with him. hopefully he has seen another patient that has been in the same situation as myself.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
MPBfighter, if you get on treatment for something post a baseline and after photo. Just curious if your hairloss is due to thyroid and if it is how much you regrow back and how long. Just personal curiosity.

someguuy

Reaction score

Some people can smoke 10 packs of cigarettes and never get ****ing cancer. The next guy gets it. People that have a liver problem if they eat fattie foods it messes the hair up. If you have a liver that works good you can eat whatever you want. Your rarely see a fat guy with a great hairline sorry boys.

I am just keeping it simple, people dont no all medical stuff.

TSH is a measurement of how much thyroid stimulating hormone your PITUITARY gland puts out. The worse your thyroid is working the more tsh your pituitary puts out.

Just because you have low tsh doesnt mean you dont have a problem you can have low tsh, low t3, low t4 your pituitary and your thyroid would not be working right, and that would cause hypothyroid.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for steering this thread back on track 2020, i'm going to try to see an endocrinologist and discuss my options with him. hopefully he has seen another patient that has been in the same situation as myself.

Doubtful, doctors dont mess with hairloss much, and also there measurements are way to broad. he will say well your tsh is 2.94 is okay. When in reality healthy young people tsh is below 1.0

Going to doctors for answers when you are relatively healthy will drive you crazy.

Doctors deal with very sick people and they dont care much about hairloss. They run a few labs and say everything is okay your just losing your hair but you are healthy.

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
Thyroid Function test
Free T4 15.1 pmol/L (9.0 - 19.0)
TSH 0.8 mU/L (0.3 - 3.5)

my mother and my mother's father also had very similar results. i'm guessing the results of blood tests is very dependant on genetics.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
... the connection between smoking and lung cancer has been CLEARLY ESTABLISHED. If you smoke, your risk of getting cancer increases TREMENDOUSLY. Can you say the same thing about diet vs male pattern baldness?

Your rarely see a fat guy with a great hairline sorry boys.

rarely??? More like often.

someguuy

Reaction score
other thing i want to say, is i am talking about something other than male pattern baldness. I believe normal male pattern baldness happens in your 30's and is mild. And duatestride will basically stop it from happening. But this other thing that you see hit young people all the time is very different. It starts at 18 or 19 theses people almost always put weight on lower abdomen, and weight in the face. There hair falls out very fast, and they have diffuse thinning. They seem to age fast, docs havent seem to put there finger on this one, and it is getting grouped in with male pattern baldness because Duatesteride kinda works for it.

- - - Updated - - -

... the connection between smoking and lung cancer has been CLEARLY ESTABLISHED. If you smoke, your risk of getting cancer increases TREMENDOUSLY. Can you say the same thing about diet vs male pattern baldness?

rarely??? More like often.

Seems like you like to argue with me. It is rare to see a bald guy that is lean unless he works out all the time. The smoking well when people die, researchers look at what is doing it. People lose there hair and are relatively healthy, well we a society are not going to waste precious research time over researching illnesses that kill you.

Researchers could figure all this hair stuff out but they just will not waste the time with it. Partially because more than likely health insurance will not pay the bill on
cosmetic improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

Thyroid Function test
Free T4 15.1 pmol/L (9.0 - 19.0)
TSH 0.8 mU/L (0.3 - 3.5)

my mother and my mother's father also had very similar results. i'm guessing the results of blood tests is very dependant on genetics.

couple questions antman

How old are you.

And what level is your hairloss

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
at the time of the blood test: age:21 and NW2.5
0YHby.jpg

Last edited:

someguuy

Reaction score
you do look english or irish

few other questions, not all hairloss can be grouped into one thing, I am just hitting a problem i think is common

Are you in good phyiscal shape and do you have bags under the eyes

How are your veins on your arms are they easy to see on surface or are they sunken down in the arm

I have been researching this stuff for 13 years, and have talked to many people, I am no expert just sharing peoples stories that I have heard, and grouping them together.

- - - Updated - - -

i didnt look at your location before i wrote english irish

- - - Updated - - -

most people I have talked to are english irish ancestory including myself.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Are you in good phyiscal shape and do you have bags under the eyes

How are your veins on your arms are they easy to see on surface or are they sunken down in the arm

what does this have to do with anything? are you trying to connect fatty liver with male pattern baldness? fatty liver is extremely common you would think everyone go bald. Also, fatty liver has a high incidence in those "male pattern baldness-safe" countries. How would you explain that? There is no correlation. Hypothyroid would explain weight gain and perhaps hair loss(yes, male pattern baldness too)

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, why is hair loss more common in men than woman? If its fatty liver it would effect both at the same rate.