Lots of New Info on Follica

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
There are several products approved by FDA that Follica used. Not only Minoxidil... otherwise you can combine it with Histogen to help hair growth :)

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23190891
They will almost surely use PGD2 inhibitors in conjunction with TCP. Apparently the presence of PGD2 inhibits wound-induced hair follicle neogenesis. This is very good news if they truthfully can generate 70 neogenic hairs per cm^2. That is wnough to give the appearance of a completely full head of hair. Most hair transplants cannot achieve this density. Since the follicles are neogenic, it may mean that they have to go through several coordinated phases of catagan, telogen, and anagen before they develop independent cycles, just like in young children.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How will they navigate around existing hair follicles without damaging them? They have to create a big wound afterall.

Also I read a paper released in 2015 by Penn University about the current obstacles facing this wounding technique, namely that it creates a circular scar and hairs only grow in the middle point of the wound and they don't know why. I don't know why they would publish this as recently as last year if they had found a successful treatment.

paleocapa89

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you can indeed create new hairs, will you be able to do it on the DHT resistant part of your head and just have as many transplants as you want..

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How will they navigate around existing hair follicles without damaging them? They have to create a big wound afterall.

Also I read a paper released in 2015 by Penn University about the current obstacles facing this wounding technique, namely that it creates a circular scar and hairs only grow in the middle point of the wound and they don't know why. I don't know why they would publish this as recently as last year if they had found a successful treatment.
Since when does dermabrasion cause a circular scar? Usually dermabrasion helps get rid of scars. Can you link to the study or provide some kind of proof?

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Answer this guys question!!! Could it be it?

Man don't bait me with hope.. Damn Hairloss.
If it works like they say it does then it is essentially a functional cure. It would mean that you have an inexhaustible supply of hair follicles to keep regenerating. If Torin is right about these supposed obstacles then we're f**ked.

RatherGoBlindThanSeeItGo

Established Member
Reaction score

Probably they will only be wounding the top layer of skin. Hair follicles are in pretty deep.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Drugs already in receipt of FDA approval will be used in conjunction with Follica’s TCP device without change to their route of delivery or indication. Therefore, Follica’s lead product candidate is anticipated to be regulated as a medical device.
This basically means they are either using minoxodil, Jak inhibitors, or FGF9 in conjunction with TCP. I'm not even sure that FGF9 is approved though. The drug will probably be needed to make the neogenic hairs become terminal.

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
Just as a passing comment, I want to say that I like how future treatments are no longer "5 to 10 years away." A lot is expected to be in the market by 2020. Has anyone else noticed that?

I was thinking the same thing... Crazy how it actually looks plausible to have an alternative to what has been around for decades now in only a couple of years!

resu

Reaction score
Having the appearance of a full head of hair would be amazing beyond dreams, the hairs would probably be DHT sensitive, now the question is if the hairs get triggered and start miniaturizing right away or if they survive the same number of years until the DHT onslaught is too much. I've been shedding since puberty hit but only at 27 did my hair start to really miniaturize in high volume and quickly.

CB if it works will always be needed unless Replicel hits the market with the actual cure.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Having the appearance of a full head of hair would be amazing beyond dreams, the hairs would probably be DHT sensitive, now the question is if the hairs get triggered and start miniaturizing right away or if they survive the same number of years until the DHT onslaught is too much. I've been shedding since puberty hit but only at 27 did my hair start to really miniaturize in high volume and quickly.

CB if it works will always be needed unless Replicel hits the market with the actual cure.
Follica will have an at home device that will allow you to perform maintenance and touch ups. In the report it said you wont even be required to go into an office.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some have accused me of being pessimistic or a troll because I think the vast majority of speculative treatments are scams (PRP, Pilox, Histogen, etc.). I am cautiously optimistic about Follica. That being said, there is no guarantee that this will come to market - it all hinges on how it performs in their upcoming trial. Still, the people behind this company cannot be questioned - UPenn is one of the very top universities in the world, and Costeralis is a preeminent mind in his field. We'll know by 2017 - 18 whether this works, but I don't think it's going to be available in 2018 - that seems like a very optimistic timeframe. If it works, I'd expect it to be available by 2020, but maybe as early as 2019.
Is this just conjecture or do you have a reason to doubt their timelines? They are owned by a very experienced incubator and their product is just a medical device. Why on Earth would they have to delay
1-2 years?

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
Is this just conjecture or do you have a reason to doubt their timelines? They are owned by a very experienced incubator and their product is just a medical device. Why on Earth would they have to delay
1-2 years?

I agree, assuming their upcoming trial is successful what would delay this two years?

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
Look back at all of the recent hair loss research - obviously, nothing has come to market, but what timelines have ever been met? Look at Replicel and the delays they're facing even though legislation was supposed accelerate approval (clearly it's Japan, but all I'm saying is there are unexpected delays; who knows if they'll even start in 2016 now). We just saw that Histogen's not going to make their "as early as 2017..." estimate in Mexico (and now 2018 is their best case scenario). I honestly don't know what's going on with Setipiprant (might still be doing proof of concept), another Cots venture.

Samumed is the only company that comes to mind as moving fast and, despite Cots and co. being great minds, they don't seem like that kind of company.

I'm hopeful they'll meet their mark and it'll work well but have learned with everything in life that "best case" scenarios are rarely met or beat. Hell, even with Samumed, they're now going back and have to potentially rework their drug. What happens if Follica's results aren't what they're hoping for? Do they continue with it, go back to the drawing board, etc.?

I think the difference is Follica as far as we know isn't going to be required to deal with issues cellular therapies are required to work around... If their trials which aren't waiting for fda approval are successful I don't see a scenario where it takes 2 more years to come to the market... Unless their device is made of a rare metal, or a molecule they determine to use in their formulation becomes impossible to get... I think the the only real question is how successful will their trials be?

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Look back at all of the recent hair loss research - obviously, nothing has come to market, but what timelines have ever been met? Look at Replicel and the delays they're facing even though legislation was supposed accelerate approval (clearly it's Japan, but all I'm saying is there are unexpected delays; who knows if they'll even start in 2016 now). We just saw that Histogen's not going to make their "as early as 2017..." estimate in Mexico (and now 2018 is their best case scenario). I honestly don't know what's going on with Setipiprant (might still be doing proof of concept), another Cots venture.

Samumed is the only company that comes to mind as moving fast and, despite Cots and co. being great minds, they don't seem like that kind of company.

I'm hopeful they'll meet their mark and it'll work well but have learned with everything in life that "best case" scenarios are rarely met or beat. Hell, even with Samumed, they're now going back and have to potentially rework their drug. What happens if Follica's results aren't what they're hoping for? Do they continue with it, go back to the drawing board, etc.?
Histogen is being delayed because they cant get the funding they need. Replicel is being delayed because the legislation for stem cell therapies was recently passed and there's massive amounts of bureaucracy +a huge earthquake in Japan. Follica is funded by a wealthy incubator and has no adverse effects or cancer risks. And they've already conducted three human trials. I'd bet my testicles they don't delay until 2019. It doesn't make logistical sense.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Histogen is being delayed because they cant get the funding they need. Replicel is being delayed because the legislation for stem cell therapies was recently passed and there's massive amounts of bureaucracy +a huge earthquake in Japan. Follica is funded by a wealthy incubator and has no adverse effects or cancer risks. And they've already conducted three human trials. I'd bet my testicles they don't delay until 2019. It doesn't make logistical sense.

I can't believe Follica might actually be the first one to market after being radio silent all these years with everyone writing them off completely, LOL. Funny how things turn out.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't believe Follica might actually be the first one to market after being radio silent all these years with everyone writing them off completely, LOL. Funny how things turn out.
Honestly, I can't really blame the people who doubted Follica would release anything. They must have had a terrifying non-disclosure agreement written up. Not a peep was heard about two of their three clinical trials! I'm sure the silence had a lot to do with their pending patent on FGF9.