Lots of New Info on Follica

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, I can't really blame the people who doubted Follica would release anything. They must have had a terrifying non-disclosure agreement written up. Not a peep was heard about two of their three clinical trials! I'm sure the silence had a lot to do with their pending patent on FGF9.

Well, that's one way to write a proper NDA. Not a peep like you said. Looks like it worked like a charm. Gotta give respect where it's due.

Baldybald1

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, that's one way to write a proper NDA. Not a peep like you said. Looks like it worked like a charm. Gotta give respect where it's due.

Hellouser, I remember about more than a year you attacked me when I said dermarolling is not going to work in your thread (dermarolling community). You said to me that am saying BS and I working for follica.everything got changed huh ? ;)

DDobler

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, after reading the hype here. I still havent found the info im looking for, so please provide:

1. what are the timelines of Follica?
2. what happened in the past few years with them? I mean, have they already done some clinical trials? with success? and what is remained until this might go out to market?

thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

And - does anybody have any clue about how this treatment will be given? is it a surgery like hair transplant? also, were there any talking about potential price?

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, after reading the hype here. I still havent found the info im looking for, so please provide:

1. what are the timelines of Follica?
2. what happened in the past few years with them? I mean, have they already done some clinical trials? with success? and what is remained until this might go out to market?

thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

And - does anybody have any clue about how this treatment will be given? is it a surgery like hair transplant? also, were there any talking about potential price?

You havent read anything, cause all of this is answered in my original post. The first post of the thread.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
My theory is that Follica reminded silent because people are hysterical about a cure and wanted to avoid the drama that happens around every company keeping in touch with the public. By the way, I'm happy that this is only 2 years away as opposed to the classic 5 to 10! :D

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
My theory is that Follica reminded silent because people are hysterical about a cure and wanted to avoid the drama that happens around every company keeping in touch with the public. By the way, I'm happy that this is only 2 years away as opposed to the classic 5 to 10! :D

Wait for it... 2 years means 4 years. LOL.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is this just conjecture or do you have a reason to doubt their timelines? They are owned by a very experienced incubator and their product is just a medical device. Why on Earth would they have to delay
1-2 years?

They've had a skin perturbation technique patented for some time. They knew that will be part of Follica's solution. And I believe Cotsarelis has at least one new hair growth drug in the pipeline, and I'm not sure what it is, FGF7 or FGF9 or something like that and possibly a prostaglandin inhibitor as well. So if those drugs are not yet FDA-approved, I imagine they will want to do clinical trials for a topical over the next couple of years. Exciting stuff for sure.

As for why Follica's secrecy, I mentioned it before that they chose to go with Puretech and list on the London stock exchange. That agreement forbids them from talking to US reporters and, I imagine, that would include focus group reporters from anyone here or other hairloss support groups online? In the far west here the regulatory and other situations for startups and corporations in general has not been good. In the US and Canada things are good for bankers and finance and the FIRE sectors of our new dog-eat-dog economy. It's been a taste of Soviet era communism with a relative handful few people in banking and finance centrally managing the economy, and the result is that they have been very good for and to themselves but few others.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look at Piloscopy - that should've come to market already but they're still tweaking the tool's design and have yet to finish clinical trials. Obviously different circumstances and a more complex procedure, but things happen. I'm not really going to keep debating since I can't predict everything that can go wrong, but you can almost guarantee that something will get in the way.

But Dr. Wesley is a great guy. He's been working diligently over the past 7 years on pilofocus.
I spoke with him last week and he said things are moving forward with the clinical trials.
Please,
let's be patient guys! Good things are ahead of us!

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
But Dr. Wesley is a great guy. He's been working diligently over the past 7 years on pilofocus.
I spoke with him last week and he said things are moving forward with the clinical trials.
Please,
let's be patient guys! Good things are ahead of us!

Lmao I love when you do this schtick, so funny.

That guy is so annoying but I can't help but keep reading his BS, my mind can't fathom how someone is like that and I'm so curious what he looks like lol.

DDobler

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so Follica conducted 2-3 (?) secret clinical trials on human ? Did they publish the efficacy results? I havent found anything about it on the PDF Doctor.
They only said what the method is and what it suppose to do.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does dermarolling generate entirely new follicles on the scalp? Follica seems to believe that their technique generates 25 terminal hairs and 75 vellus hairs (which it specifies in the second report). Apparently they are looking at techniques right now to enrich the vellus hairs to become terminal. Has anybody on the forums seen this kind of result? I can't tell if this procedure is just going to be dermarolling and minoxidil (which they mention adding to the procedure). Are the drugs such as FGF9 that cause much high hair count yields going to come much later in the future? Does FGF9 need to be trialed before it can be used commercially? I'm really confused any answers would be immensely helpful.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does dermarolling generate entirely new follicles on the scalp?

Not on it's own.

Follica seems to believe that their technique generates 25 terminal hairs and 75 vellus hairs (which it specifies in the second report). Apparently they are looking at techniques right now to enrich the vellus hairs to become terminal. Has anybody on the forums seen this kind of result?

You could make the argument for PrettyFly83. He's been dermarolling for a while and using minoxidil and has had substantial growth. No finasteride either.

I can't tell if this procedure is just going to be dermarolling and minoxidil (which they mention adding to the procedure). Are the drugs such as FGF9 that cause much high hair count yields going to come much later in the future?

That might be the case... there was a lot of talk about FGF-9 a while ago and it's possible its the key factor in growing terminal hairs. But that also might depend on the size/depth of the wound.

Does FGF9 need to be trialed before it can be used commercially? I'm really confused any answers would be immensely helpful.

Yes, it would need trialing. Any change to a Follica's protocol would require them to start new trials for the new method. Old trials could continue.

resu

Reaction score
Didn't Cots say that the hairs weren't pigmented? Vellus hairs is one thing but if the terminal hairs are also transparent it would be weird.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Didn't Cots say that the hairs weren't pigmented? Vellus hairs is one thing but if the terminal hairs are also transparent it would be weird.
Where did he say this?

resu

Reaction score

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It was in the BTT thread but here you can read the bullet points:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/79565-Follica-and-Dr-Cotsarelis-Interview

What I don't understand is how the info differs considerably, we have a treatment in the pipeline but in the Desmond interview a treatment was just a pipe dream at the time.
That whole interview sounds like a red herring. Either that or this upcoming treatment is absolutely useless. And where did he mention the hair being unpigmented, I didn't see it.