lets talk more about Cloning.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
for those who know more than i do,... is this related to stem cell research? I think that we need to start rallying together to create public awareness about cloning, like fat people do about obesity. When u cry out enough people will start reacting more. ...anyway...i was wondering, if we can regenerate old follicles, won't they eventually be set up for DHT inhibition again??

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah, but generate 1 million hair follicles! then i want dht to deal with them.. hehehe

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Isn't the point of stem cell research ( for us :)) to find what causes DHT to attach to the hair follicals on top of the head and alter it?

G

good grief, it's like a asylum in here some times.

I think you would take hair follicles from the lower sides and back of the head and use these to clone further follicles.

As we know these follicles are not affected by DHT.

saturnsc2

Established Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
good grief, it's like a asylum in here some times.

I think you would take hair follicles from the lower sides and back of the head and use these to clone further follicles.

As we know these follicles are not affected by DHT.
exactly, that's why current hair transplantation works. the only question i have about cloning is after the hair is removed from the back of the head & then taken to the lab, how long does it take to clone the follicles? they say they can re-create a full head of hair, but how long & what is the cost?

G

Well, they say that these hairs are not attacked by DHT. Think of it like this. What if these hairs are attacked by DHT but it might take 5 or 10 years to see. How long does a hair follicle last before DHT attacks it. Is it only months or years.

Maybe this is why we see such different baldness patterns because they have been attacked for so long but some hairs are stronger than others. The reason the sides and back stay is because the DHT does not go there.

So maybe all hair transplant patients are doomed in 10 years......

Just a few thoughts.

saturnsc2

Established Member
Reaction score
traxdata said:
Well, they say that these hairs are not attacked by DHT. Think of it like this. What if these hairs are attacked by DHT but it might take 5 or 10 years to see. How long does a hair follicle last before DHT attacks it. Is it only months or years.

Maybe this is why we see such different baldness patterns because they have been attacked for so long but some hairs are stronger than others. The reason the sides and back stay is because the DHT does not go there.

Just a few thoughts.
hair transplantation has been done since 1950 & i never heard of this happening. i heard of some loss due to illness, but that's it. i had my first prodedure in 1995, & still have all the hair. anyway, your hair on the sides of your scalp are different from the top hair & unaffected by dht....

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
saturnsc2 said:
traxdata said:

Just a few thoughts.
hair transplantation has been done since 1950 & i never heard of this happening. i heard of some loss due to illness, but that's it. i had my first prodedure in 1995, & still have all the hair. anyway, your hair on the sides of your scalp are different from the top hair & unaffected by dht....

I agree.

stepbehind

Reaction score
What amazes me is the fact that a woman in California had her cat cloned for 50,000 dollars, meanwhile cloning hair is still 4-5 years away. And from what I've heard on this forum, it'll be estimated at costing 20,000 dollars. How is that freaking possible.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
stepbehind said:
What amazes me is the fact that a woman in California had her cat cloned for 50,000 dollars, meanwhile cloning hair is still 4-5 years away. And from what I've heard on this forum, it'll be estimated at costing 20,000 dollars. How is that freaking possible.

1) Har cloning isn't actually CLONING - it's multiplication. So completely different technique.

2) They can "clone" hair by now - the main problem is that they can't direct the hair in the right direction yet.

3) Everything new is expensive - wait a few years, and it will prob. be down to 10 grand.

saturnsc2

Established Member
Reaction score
stepbehind said:
yup, it's only going to be available to the rich people. by the time it comes down in price for us, i'll probably be a very old man & then won't care about it. my biological clock is ticking & i want a solution now!

stepbehind

Reaction score
I don't get this whole directing in the right direction thing. I mean, how do hair transplant now happen. They use pre-existing hair to transplant it into the scalp right. Well why can't they do that with the "cloned" hair. Just allow it to grow in some pre-existing medium and than use it for transplantation. Oh well, easier said than done I guess. I just really want some freaking hair.

saturnsc2

Established Member
Reaction score
stepbehind said:
I don't get this whole directing in the right direction thing. I mean, how do hair transplant now happen. They use pre-existing hair to transplant it into the scalp right. Well why can't they do that with the "cloned" hair. Just allow it to grow in some pre-existing medium and than use it for transplantation. Oh well, easier said than done I guess. I just really want some freaking hair.
well the main difference now is the grafts are put into the scalp at a controlled angle. during cloning, just cells (not grafts) are transplanted into the scalp & which direction the hair grows is anybody's guess. i heard they might put tiny tubes into the scalp to function like guides & allow the hair to grow outright....

finallyhair

Reaction score
There are entirely too many men who have had incredibly bad hair transplant much more than 10 yrs ago. If DHT would effect their implanted follicles we wouldn't be able to see their horrible plugs. Fact is that the implanted hair will always grow. So I think the most important ? is "do you want people to be able to tell
that it's implanted 20 yrs down the road?" Find a good Dr.
Far too many men are advertising their horror stories by wearing huge plugs from 20 yrs ago.

saturnsc2

Established Member
Reaction score
finallyhair said:
There are entirely too many men who have had incredibly bad hair transplant much more than 10 yrs ago. If DHT would effect their implanted follicles we wouldn't be able to see their horrible plugs. Fact is that the implanted hair will always grow. So I think the most important ? is "do you want people to be able to tell
that it's implanted 20 yrs down the road?" Find a good Dr.
Far too many men are advertising their horror stories by wearing huge plugs from 20 yrs ago.
ya, the transplanted hair will always grow as if it still were still in the back of your head. even on the baldest man he always retains that band of hair around his head. i wouldn't say the transplants were "bad" years ago, as that simply was just the technology they had at that time. now they do many repair procedures to conceal those old plugs.

finallyhair

Reaction score
Some Dr.'s still use the plugs to create a denser look but sacrafice realism.
Technology hasn't changed all that much. It's simply taking a graft and moving it rather than 20 of them. It's a simpler idea and the Dr.'s now have to be creative. I think they are better now overall because of the demand for better results
We agree that the hair will always grow and that's what counts and that was the discussion.

saturnsc2

Established Member
Reaction score
finallyhair said:
Some Dr.'s still use the plugs to create a denser look but sacrafice realism.
Technology hasn't changed all that much. It's simply taking a graft and moving it rather than 20 of them. It's a simpler idea and the Dr.'s now have to be creative. I think they are better now overall because of the demand for better results
We agree that the hair will always grow and that's what counts and that was the discussion.
ya, i know all about hair transplantation, as i had 5 procedures. the grafts are just much smaller so they are not easily seen. i'm sure the doctors that still do the large grafts are few in between. i always search hair transplant doctors online & i never see any websites of doctors that still do the large grafts. i guess you just have to do your homework if your considering doing this surgery...

finallyhair

Reaction score
Saturn, maybe we got off on the wrong foot. Let me start over. I have already gotten an hair transplant and I now work with people who have gotten it and people that want it and repair cases. I see on a daily basis what most don't.
5 procedures doesn't say that you've done much homework.
This will be my last response to you because I'm not here to argue, I'm here to help.[/quote]

saturnsc2

Established Member
Reaction score
finallyhair said:
Saturn, maybe we got off on the wrong foot. Let me start over. I have already gotten an hair transplant and I now work with people who have gotten it and people that want it and repair cases. I see on a daily basis what most don't.
5 procedures doesn't say that you've done much homework.
This will be my last response to you because I'm not here to argue, I'm here to help.
[/quote] how did you hair transplant go? how many grafts & what was your degree of baldness before the procedure? i have my pics posted in this forum too. do you have pics? i always like to see before & after pics! before i had my first procedure, i studied hair transplantation for a long time because i always heard horror stories & i didn't want this to happen to me...