Ketoconazole 2% Does More Harm Than Good?

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My scalp becomes very tight after using keto, it feels like my face is pulled up, and my scalp becomes very shiny..

nohairnolife

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some dude who regrew like two Norwoods in another sub board has keto in his daily topical so it can't be all that bad for hair

nohairnolife

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I regrew some hair,too
I'm going to start leaving the 1% keto in all day along with a couple other things I'm trying. That other guy has it in his daily topical. I have very little hair left so I can take the risk

nohairnolife

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
can you pls share the link
It's in the Success Stories one, the guy who said he can't believe he regrew hair

I have been leaving the Nizoral in for a couple days now. No problem so far

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update: I stopped using my keto shampoo 2 months ago. My hair loss went on berserk mode . My hair considerably thinned out and one temple has receded a little bit further. This leads me to the conclusion that my keto shampoo (Ketozolin 2%) was sort of maintaining my hair. I can' t otherwise explain this dramatic change in such a short time.

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't mean to FUD Keto, but my experience with it is negative. Been using nizoral 1% for ~4 months 2x week. It dried out my hair, completely ruining the quality and recently my scalp became extremely inflamed (burning, itch, dandruff). I'm starting to think this long hell shed I'm going through is from the shampoo. TERRIBLE rapid loss in density over these months when I have never diffused in the years I've suffered from male pattern baldness.

To me the risk isn't worth the very minimal reward keto has to offer.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you guys who get dried out hair after using keto not use a good conditioner straight after? That's a requirement, otherwise it's obvious to me why your hair is drying out.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't mean to FUD Keto, but my experience with it is negative. Been using nizoral 1% for ~4 months 2x week. It dried out my hair, completely ruining the quality and recently my scalp became extremely inflamed (burning, itch, dandruff). I'm starting to think this long hell shed I'm going through is from the shampoo. TERRIBLE rapid loss in density over these months when I have never diffused in the years I've suffered from male pattern baldness.

I have been using nizoral 3x a week for sometime now, im diffusing all over the top of my head, where it was just my crown that was in bade shape before... i thought it was male pattern baldness catching up...maybe it's the nizoral? I read hairloss is an uncommon side effect of nizoral.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

After the 2-month pause this sh*t has thinned out my hair even more( I was excepting it , though), now my damn skull is visible, it's just horrible . I already started finasteride so I guess I will only put this on my temples, hoping this might regrow some vellus hairs there in combination with finasteride. So my conclusion: ketoconazole might have maintained my hair or at least slowed down my hair loss BUT for the price of cosmetic density. Keto shampoos can , according to my experience and some studies, make hair diameter thicker but you would have to wait a while and meanwhile have to suffer through cosmetically horrible hair.

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you guys who get dried out hair after using keto not use a good conditioner straight after? That's a requirement, otherwise it's obvious to me why your hair is drying out.
I condition religiously. I have long hair, and always do my best to keep it looking good

I have been using nizoral 3x a week for sometime now, im diffusing all over the top of my head, where it was just my crown that was in bade shape before... i thought it was male pattern baldness catching up...maybe it's the nizoral? I read hairloss is an uncommon side effect of nizoral.
This is my exact experience. I noticed I started shedding with nizoral, but I didn't worry too much because that's just part of the game when starting new treatments . I attributed my extended shed to literally everything but the shampoo. I'm going to take a few weeks off and find out for sure, however I really do think its the nizoral considering the current condition of my scalp
After the 2-month pause this sh*t has thinned out my hair even more( I was excepting it , though), now my damn skull is visible, it's just horrible . I already started finasteride so I guess I will only put this on my temples, hoping this might regrow some vellus hairs there in combination with finasteride. So my conclusion: ketoconazole might have maintained my hair or at least slowed down my hair loss BUT for the price of cosmetic density. Keto shampoos can , according to my experience and some studies, make hair diameter thicker but you would have to wait a while and meanwhile have to suffer through cosmetically horrible hair.
For me, my hair took a very very large cosmetic hit. I think like all treatments, effectiveness and results vary from person to person.

vlados

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using a ketoconazole (2%) shampoo for about 2-3 months. Before using it, some parts of my scap were tender and if I pressed on them it hurt a little. After starting using ketoconazole (2%) the first few weeks were not that great( dry hair,itching while leaving the shampoo on for a couple of minutes, a little shed). But about 1 month in, I experienced less and less side effects like dry scalp and could leave the shampoo on my scalp for 5-10 minutes without itching . I also noticed those tender parts of my scap were no longer tender and irritated. So I think I may have had some fongus or something which ketoconazole cleared . I think it's a worthwhile addition to any regimen, just be sure to not use it too often(I use it 2 times/week) and even if at first you may think it's doing harm ,just keep it with , your scalp will get used to it and you'll get the benefits from using it.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using a ketoconazole (2%) shampoo for about 2-3 months. Before using it, some parts of my scap were tender and if I pressed on them it hurt a little. After starting using ketoconazole (2%) the first few weeks were not that great( dry hair,itching while leaving the shampoo on for a couple of minutes, a little shed). But about 1 month in, I experienced less and less side effects like dry scalp and could leave the shampoo on my scalp for 5-10 minutes without itching . I also noticed those tender parts of my scap were no longer tender and irritated. So I think I may have had some fongus or something which ketoconazole cleared . I think it's a worthwhile addition to any regimen, just be sure to not use it too often(I use it 2 times/week) and even if at first you may think it's doing harm ,just keep it with , your scalp will get used to it and you'll get the benefits from using it.
You were pretty lucky you didn't experience any hair thinning caused by ketoconazole , that' s the worst side effect

vlados

My Regimen
Reaction score
You were pretty lucky you didn't experience any hair thinning caused by ketoconazole , that' s the worst side effect

Those that experience thinning, is it permanent ? I'm asking because most of the treatments tend to have some side effects at first(shedding, irritation maybe) which subside after a while.

Timii

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Those that experience thinning, is it permanent ? I'm asking because most of the treatments tend to have some side effects at first(shedding, irritation maybe) which subside after a while.
As I said above , the thinning gets better but it's still cosmetically sh*t, although not everyone seems to experience it

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update: I stopped using my keto shampoo 2 months ago. My hair loss went on berserk mode . My hair considerably thinned out and one temple has receded a little bit further. This leads me to the conclusion that my keto shampoo (Ketozolin 2%) was sort of maintaining my hair. I can' t otherwise explain this dramatic change in such a short time.

So are you back to using keto shampoo now then? :p

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
An update on my keto situation:

I was very quick to jump to conclusions about whether the keto was harming my scalp. I went two weeks without it, and I got crazy itching! shedding remained consistent, so I KNOW that the keto wasn't to blame now.

What keto definitely DID do was dry out my hair and make it look terrible. During my time off of keto I alternated co-wash, and CWC wash methods and used leave in conditioner once or twice a week. My hair quality dramatically improved. Now I do CWC for my keto applications to maintain hair health.

Luckoftheirish

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread.

I'm new here, 29, male, and I have had no hair loss before starting Ketoconazole. I was prescribed it for Seborrhoea dermatitis.

I do remember before using it is that I started No-Poo and I had itching and some shedding, but after cutting my hair short I did not notice much shedding.

Anyways, the hair changes my texture from curly to straight, thin and dry. I have developed burning sensation on my skin and scalp. I noticed some weird hairs falling off.. like frizzles curly thin white hairs.

On the keto the shedding basically stopped when I tried pulling out my hair, but the rate of hair growth seemed like it almost stopped? I used to grow hair at a rapid pace, and it just seemed much slower.

Anyways, I stopped using the shampoo and my scalp and hair became greasy and oily and I think it made my scalp overly sensitive to a lot of shampoos. After stopping it I tried using natural shampoo and then the severe burning of my scalp started. Dunno what happened.

In the following months I have thinned all over and have shedding from all over my body. My Seborrhoea has become severe as it is on my chest, face, scalp. And my scalp reacts to any shampoo with severe dryness and flaking.

I went to a dermatologist because my itching is unbearable and H&S and basically every shampoo makes it worse. She prescribed Keto again.

With no other options I started using it again, maybe to only make sure that the burning is from the Keto if nothing else. The itching lessened and my hair doesn't fall easily when I Try to pull it out.

I dunno what to do as I'm almost sure that all my shedding and problems started because of the Nizoral. Heck, i'm even sensitive to water and chlorinated waters in particular like pools, etc. Skin reacts to everything.

Dermo said I have dermatographism, and suspect for aquagenic urticaria. Also said that I need to do a biopsy because I might have alopecia areata...I must say that I do not have bald spots...

Anyways, please share your stories and help a brother out.