Ketoconazole 2% Does More Harm Than Good?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
you shouldn't be leaving Ketoconazole on your hair for much longer than approximately 2 to 3 minutes before washing it off
Each to their own, works best for me if its left on for up to 30 mins, if you are actually trying to control something like sebderm or severe scalp itch.

Washing it off after 2-3 minutes is counter productive to me, as you will end up having to keep applying it far more frequently then if its just left in for a sufficient amount of time once or twice a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: 300

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Each to their own, works best for me if its left on for up to 30 mins, if you are actually trying to control something like sebderm or severe scalp itch.

Washing it off after 2-3 minutes is wasting your time as you will end up having to keep applying it far more frequently then if its just left in for a sufficient amount of time once or twice a month.
U leave shampoo in for 30 min? Lol. 15 min is sufficent at least for me. It reduced my shedding like mad. It penetrates faster than you think.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
U leave shampoo in for 30 min? Lol. 15 min is sufficent at least for me. It reduced my shedding like mad. It penetrates faster than you think.
Its not like I'm actually going to time it.............. i just wash it off when my scalp feels 'right' or soothed, if that takes up to 30 mins then so be it.

Reactions: 300

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I ve been using it for the last few months for a few nimutes 3x/week.Now i leave it on until it dries up and it feels "right",4 to 5x/week.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you guys who've been battling the itch... Is it all day, non stop, or it occurs randomly, all over the scalp?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I ve been using it for the last few months for a few nimutes 3x/week.Now i leave it on until it dries up and it feels "right",4 to 5x/week.

I've cut right down now, I used to use it multiple times a week for a few minutes like it recommends, but like I said I ended up getting much better results if I just use it once or twice a month, but leave it in for ages.

I only use it for scalp itch/inflammation/sebderm, so not really concerned if it has any DHT reducing properties as i'm on finasteride for that.

I tended to find it a bit harsh if I was using it too often.

But yer I agree for me there's defiantly a point where my scalp feels 'right' after its been left in for a while, the amount of time can vary, but it takes a lot longer than the recommended 2-3 minutes to get there.

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its not like I'm actually going to time it.............. i just wash it off when my scalp feels 'right' or soothed, if that takes up to 30 mins then so be it.
I always time it because in the morning i got a certain time to go to work. Lol. I use it daily.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My itch is always there,but i dont have a need to scratch my head.Its more pronounced at night and sometimes i have to scratch my head.
Like, all over your head? I mean, for some reason mine only occurs on two specific spots. Still annoying, though, and distressing at times when I remember I've been battling this for years.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Like, all over your head? I mean, for some reason mine only occurs on two specific spots. Still annoying, though, and distressing at times when I remember I've been battling this for years.
No,only at 2 spots,front left temple and top rear left.Sometimes is painful.Interesting thing is ,i am not thinning there.Keep in mind Psoriasis and Seb. dermatitis can cause that

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always time it because in the morning i got a certain time to go to work. Lol. I use it daily.
Ok, yer makes sense then........... I'm only leaving it in for an extended amount of time a couple of times a month, so not fussed how accurate its left in for.

(BTW for anyone else reading this, whose not yet using ketoconazole, don't directly leave it in for a long time at the start, because it can irritate your scalp quickly if left in too long, so just build up over time to see how sensitive your scalp is first)

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No,only at 2 spots,front left temple and top rear left.Sometimes is painful.Interesting thing is ,i am not thinning there
Like yours, mine is painful too. Nothing ever helped and derms say the area is clean. So I have no idea what the f*** is going on. Corticosteroids didn't help either.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Reread my previous post.
About psoriasis and sebderm? Well, they said I have none of them. So it's either psychological or DHT is acting behind it.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
About psoriasis and sebderm? Well, they said I have none of them. So it's either psychological or DHT is acting behind it.
Yep, I take it the itch from scalp irritation/sebderm and the hair loss itch/ DHT itch? can be two different things.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Clobetasol Propionate,,Calcipotriene,Betamethasone might help you but only for the short term.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
My itch/irritation improved when I dropped using SLS shampoos as my daily wash.

Another guy that regrow his hair with nizoral
I dropped topical dutasteride maybe 2 weeks ago, and keep losing only a few hairs in shower thanks to ketoconazole, ketoconazole reduces my hairfall more than topical dutasteride ever could. I had tried nizoral in the past years but it always fried my hair and made it look thin and flat so I gave it up and regenpure and other shampoos that are less harsh was too expensive. But I finally found a shampoo with ketoconazole that dont ruin my hair as much with added benefits other than just ketoconazole.