Ketoconazole 2% Does More Harm Than Good?

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ketoconazole has always made my hair look like sh*t. very thin and often like it thins it out more. and now i can't use it at all because it makes my scalp inflamed for unknown reasons.

Last edited:

Luckoftheirish

My Regimen
Reaction score
ketoconazole has always made my hair look like sh*t. very thin and often like it thins it out more. and now i can't use it at all because it makes my scalp inflamed for unknown reasons.

I had no idea why year ago I developed red spots over my body, face, scalp. Maybe I hadn't noticed it before, had no idea. I also developed itching, burning sensation and I started losing hair. Had no problems beforehand.

I stopped using Nizoral and my hair went to sh*t. My Seborrhea got much worse and had hair fall. I started Nizoral again 3 weeks ago and the burning has returned, sun sensitivity too. My hair gets pulled easily from my body now, but my scalp seems fine. Now i'm sure it has been the Nizoral, but I don't know what to do. My itching is very severe and so is seborrhea when not using it, but i'm afraid it's making other issues much worse. It's terrible because now i'm certain that it was the Nizoral that caused it...I wonder if it's permanent cause it remained after I stopped using it year ago.

Abi28

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience Nizoral does more harm than good, also if you read the label, hair loss is mentioned as one of the side effects, so it for sure can cause more hair loss plus the shampoo is very harsh, unless you have a condition in your scalp I would not suggest using it at all.

live-for-hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Keto shampoo always causes more shedding for me. I have to use it from time to time to control my Sebhorreic Dermatitis but it ruins my hair every time I use it consistently. I am using Alpecin dandruff Killer shampoo which seems to help but is not at the same level as Keto shampoo. I will try to refrain from keto shampoo as long as possible. Though it depend from people to people, for some folks it works great and for people like me, it ruins the hair

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Keto shampoo always causes more shedding for me. I have to use it from time to time to control my Sebhorreic Dermatitis but it ruins my hair every time I use it consistently. I am using Alpecin dandruff Killer shampoo which seems to help but is not at the same level as Keto shampoo. I will try to refrain from keto shampoo as long as possible. Though it depend from people to people, for some folks it works great and for people like me, it ruins the hair

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-03-03-21-27-43-127_com.reddit.frontpage.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-03-21-27-43-127_com.reddit.frontpage.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Screenshot_2022-03-03-21-29-46-151_com.reddit.frontpage.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-03-21-29-46-151_com.reddit.frontpage.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 134

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have alot less shedding because of it. But yes it fries the hair.

live-for-hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeh. Ketoconazole is actually a weak dht blocker, kills fungus, and reduces inflammation. Only downside is that it dries hair and make it brittle.
As it is a DHT blocker, it can also induce a finasteride-like initial shed when used after a long time. This is my hypothesis for hair fall while using Keto shampoo.

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ketoconazole is so underrated
People don't understand that they need to use everyday to fight the male pattern baldness

Not like "Oh I'm using 3x/week and didn't nothing this shampoo is suck against the male pattern baldness don't use guys"

What they expected using just a couple days a week looool

@jamesbooker1975 always knew that

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220304-184959.png
    Screenshot_20220304-184959.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 130

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Use jojoba or coconut oil in your hair before using Nizoral.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, I'm 18 years old and unfortunately I have androgenetic alopecia. I'm currently a Norwood 1.5, maybe even lower, so this gives me some time to act before it's too late. As some people point out, sooner or later I will have to start with Finasteride and I accept this, but my goal is gaining at least 2 years so I don't mess up with my growth which should end at age 20. So I bought Regaine and a ketoconazole Shampoo (Ketozolin 2%). Unfortunately as I read the package of Regaine, it says you shouldn't use it if you have blood pressure problems. Recently, I ' ve had the suspect of high blood pressure (yeah, it' s strange considering my age, I guess anxiety because of my hair contributed to it), so I temporary have to put Regaine aside. My doctor measured normal blood pressure, but at the pharmacy I got a clear high value. I can't explain myself how that's possible, anyway next Samsday I'm going to the hospital to be completely sure. So, I read some studies who confirmed that Ketoconazole is helpful against male baldness, so I applied some of it today for the first time. I was scarried when I saw that I was shedding a remarkable number of hair (given the fact that I massaged my scalp, it's not so worrying but still I shedded many more hairs than with a normal shampoo) and that my hair looked slightly thinner, it's not that bad but I can see my scalp more clearly than usual. Is this normal? I feel as if nobody can help me because this shampoo is not made to stop hair loss. I don't have dandruff, I have an oily scalp though.

I also had an extreme amount of shedding from using Ketoconazole 2% which lasted many months and only stopped around 6 to 8 months later.

This happened to a friend of mine who also decided to try it with me at the same time I started.

Some things work for some, and not for others, it's important to note which things aren't working for you and stay away.

Something to note is, you shouldn't be leaving Ketoconazole on your hair for much longer than approximately 2 to 3 minutes before washing it off because it is very strong. You also should only use it about 2 to 3 times a week max because it can also dry your hair out and make things worse when used in excess.

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also had an extreme amount of shedding from using Ketoconazole 2% which lasted many months and only stopped around 6 to 8 months later.

This happened to a friend of mine who also decided to try it with me at the same time I started.

Some things work for some, and not for others, it's important to note which things aren't working for you and stua away.

Something to note is, you shouldn't be leaving Ketoconazole on your hair for much longer than approximately 2 to 3 minutes before washing it off because it is very strong. You also shouldn't be only use it about 2 to 3 times a week max because it can also dry your hair out and make things worse when used in excess.
Yes but I apply Olive oil mixed with peppermint and rosmary essential oils 2 times a week.