Is This Proof male pattern baldness Isn't Entirely To Do With Androgens?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is a picture of an 8 year old boy who has a genetic disease which causes premature aging similar to but not as severe as Progeria. As you can see he is a NW3 and he clearly has no androgens in his body.. If he has receded to NW3 without androgens then I wonder what else is causing his hair to recede.. Share your thoughts guys!

For those interested, the pic is from a video called: The curious case of my face: Children living with rapid aging of the skin.

Attachments

• IMG_20180522_205902.jpg
    IMG_20180522_205902.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 569

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Progeria's accelerated aging mecanism is still poorly known.

This genetic disease is a real horrible f*****g mess, could be potentially anything but androgens at this point.

And Androgenetic Alopecia compared to this condition, is a wet dream.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Progeria's accelerated aging mecanism is still poorly known.

This genetic disease is a real horrible f*****g mess, could be potentially anything but androgens at this point.

And Androgenetic Alopecia compared to this condition, is a wet dream.
But this isn't Progeria.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Here is a picture of an 8 year old boy who has a genetic disease which causes premature aging similar to but not as severe as Progeria. As you can see he is a NW3 and he clearly has no androgens in his body.. If he has receded to NW3 without androgens then I wonder what else is causing his hair to recede.. Share your thoughts guys!

For those interested, the pic is from a video called: The curious case of my face: Children living with rapid aging of the skin.
Hair loss can be due to other causes not just DHT.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
But the pattern is similar, which is curious since male pattern baldness is the only type of hairloss that follows that pattern
You can have some androgens at 8 years old and maybe with his condition he has more than usual.

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
He doesn't seem to have face or body hair, and still he's balding. I don't know about his wee-wee, but I don't think his thing between his leg is as old as his face. We must ask *edo*ear to inspect ... poor him.
His mother is like a witch in children movies, omg.
So yeah ... balding is not just because of DHT ...

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think Androgens definitely have a role to play but is not the CAUSE.

I think scalp development is what causes the cascade and the increase in ARs and increase in 5AR activity may be in response to this. The whole ''follicles become sensitive out of the blue' theory does not make sense. They become sensitive in response to something.

I also find it interesting how babies have male pattern baldness until they turn a certain age. Where most likely their SCALP develops to grow hair more uniformly. Our scalps are reverting backward in a sense.

Attachments

• images (8).jpeg
    images (8).jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 267
  • d16fd7c4-311e-44c1-badc-5cbc7ec293e4.jpg
    d16fd7c4-311e-44c1-badc-5cbc7ec293e4.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 356

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
An element of ageing can still be the upregulation of Androgen receptors without the change in androgens themselves - which would also explain why balding gets worse with age whilst our levels of androgens obviously fall with age.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
An element of ageing can still be the upregulation of Androgen receptors without the change in androgens themselves - which would also explain why balding gets worse with age whilst our levels of androgens obviously fall with age.

The body tends to only up regulate them in certain tissues however, which is why it is not just as easy to build muscle mass when you are 60 vs. 20 but you are more likely to suffer from male pattern baldness and prostate issues. The body tends to upregulate the ARs in these tissues and the question is WHY? I do not think we have the exact answer but it could be in response to inflammation, it is the body's way of cooling the inflammation down through the hormone pathway but eventually something goes awry with this causing increased inflammation, oxidative stress and cell proliferation/stimulation and fibrosis.

DeterioratingWolf

My Regimen
Reaction score
so does that mean inflammation is just as dangerous as dht or is it a step below it when it comes to male pattern baldness?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
so does that mean inflammation is just as dangerous as dht or is it a step below it when it comes to male pattern baldness?

So DHT is part of the inflammation process in these issues whereas it acts as antiinflammatory in things such as the joints. This is why you have things that are blocking prostaglandins or targeting TGF-Beta as potential new drugs being developed---these are pro inflammatory and also overexpressed in the scalp for male pattern baldness. So the loss of hair is without a doubt inflammation leading to fibrosis and without a doubt DHT is there being a primary causer of this inflammation. The question is WHY, something is setting it off and something is causing it to be pro inflammatory as opposed to its normal role as anti inflammatory.

My own belief is scalp development. This is why Botox injected into the scalp works because it paralyzed muscles underneath to relax this process/tension and why some people have had success with massaging and scalp exercises.

DeterioratingWolf

My Regimen
Reaction score
So DHT is part of the inflammation process in these issues whereas it acts as antiinflammatory in things such as the joints. This is why you have things that are blocking prostaglandins or targeting TGF-Beta as potential new drugs being developed---these are pro inflammatory and also overexpressed in the scalp for male pattern baldness. So the loss of hair is without a doubt inflammation leading to fibrosis and without a doubt DHT is there being a primary causer of this inflammation. The question is WHY, something is setting it off and something is causing it to be pro inflammatory as opposed to its normal role as anti inflammatory.

My own belief is scalp development. This is why Botox injected into the scalp works because it paralyzed muscles underneath to relax this process/tension and why some people have had success with massaging and scalp exercises.

I'm inexperienced so I don't know some of the stuff you just said.... but I did notice that last part. I personally have experienced hair growth above my temples and currently at my lowest hairline (the windows peak) on both right and left sides, especially when I have topical 5% minoxidil applied at the time of electronic massage, so there's some truth to your claim, although I thought it was increased blow flow that is responsible for the new hair growth, not that scalp stuff you were talking about that I don't understand.