is there any association between working out and hairloss?

G

Yeddie said:
BruceLee said:
Axon said:
I was told, and I believe this, to not have anaerobic exercise as more than 10% of your regimen. Many instructors feel they are a useful tool but can also lead to inability to burn fat and cravings for sugar if used excessively. Begginners need to establish a good base of aerobics before they take a look at Anaerobics. They are extremely intense and not to be taken lightly.

Further, you're STILL burning fat by raising your heart rate. Cardiovascular activity.

I don't doubt that you were told this, that you believe it but that does not make it true. I have never seen the inability to burn fat issue and would love to see your cite for this as well as the sugar craving. So a citation on these facts would be appreciated.

Re: A good aerobic base, that may or may not pertain to runners who are looking to run long distances. Try telling me that sprinters need a good aerobic base or that they dont know how to burn fat (check out ther bodyfat levels!. I think the answer here is fairly obvious.

Yes, you can burn calories and then utilize fat in a number of ways. However, classic LSD is not essential to do this. It is simply one way to do it. It also is a way to become slow and flabby.

Want to look like a marathoner? I though not!

BTW- I never said that anareobics should be taken lightly. Simply that they are the quickest most effective way to get strong and lean.

:lol:

What is LSD?

Long Slow Distance. Lots of miles at moderate pace.

Axon

Reaction score
Bruce Lee scared me with his training. He felt too much emphasis was put on skill and not enough on the individual, right?

Can't argue with that...

G

Axon said:
BruceLee said:
I don't doubt that you were told this, that you believe it but that does not make it true. I have never seen the inability to burn fat issue and would love to see your cite for this as well as the sugar craving. So a citation on these facts would be appreciated.

Certainly. In addition to hearing about it from trainers at my gym:

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=9732

Is a good one. I think you're missing the point here - anaerobic exercise is almost akin to running a marathon. I don't know if it's the simplest way, but I do agree it's probably the fastest.

Still, you'll burn yourself out if you do this sort of thing too often, and he proposes the theory that burnout will lead to what I mentioned.

Because you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue.

I never suggested that interval training cannot be abused nor one can't over indulge. Simply that it is much more effective for attaining a lean and fit body.

But you can certainly do your cardio if you choose.

G

BruceLee said:
Axon said:
BruceLee said:

Certainly. In addition to hearing about it from trainers at my gym:

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=9732

Is a good one. I think you're missing the point here - anaerobic exercise is almost akin to running a marathon. I don't know if it's the simplest way, but I do agree it's probably the fastest.

Still, you'll burn yourself out if you do this sort of thing too often, and he proposes the theory that burnout will lead to what I mentioned.

Because you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue.

I never suggested that interval training cannot be abused nor one can't over indulge. Simply that it is much more effective for attaining a lean and fit body.

But you can certainly do your cardio if you choose.

I just read this "cite" that you furnished. There was not one reference to research, just statements by the author. That is what we call opinion!

G

Prediction -

2013 - Hairloss is not cured but the basic principles of nutrition and exercise have been determined.

I really think we are witnessing the final revolution of fitness and nutrition where the medical community, the health enthusiast community, and the ethnic and regional wisdoms are being considered in a scientific manner without prejudice.

G

Axon said:
Bruce Lee scared me with his training. He felt too much emphasis was put on skill and not enough on the individual, right?

Can't argue with that...

I think what you may be referencing is Bruce's concern with the traditional way of teach martial arts by "rote" vs. developing the skill that an individual may have. For example, why try to teach someone who has great hand technique to kick when he has zero flexibility.

And so forth. This is a very complex subject but fun anyway.

G

BruceLee said:
RalphyWiggum said:
Bruce,

have you ever read that book that gives the full detials of "Bruce Lee's" daily exercise routine. I own it. It's pretty good and it makes me put into question all this pussy 3x a week bs.

Anyway it's good book I recommend anyone serious about training read it...

I do have it and many other books about Bruce and his training.

One thing Bruce was way out in front with was isometrics. There are many resources on Isos from the training labs of the Soviets which are just now making there way out in the public.

Bruce was very very advanced on his training.

In the early 80s isometrics were one of the biggest parts of our martial arts training. I guess it kinda petered out over the last 20 years.

Axon

Reaction score
And you have proof? I've heard anaerobics increases HGH by 500% or something as you get older. I've heard the exact opposite as well. Reports from PHDs, reports from personal trainers.

I think you're misunderstanding me, or I you. I am not against Anerobics, I just feel that of late, they've been thrown around much too loosely. I would not make a beginner do 1000 crunches. I doubt you would either.

Anaerobics is still cardio activity, you're still doing fat burning exercise by increasing heart rate, and it's a good "cap" off during you're exercise week, much in the same vein of increasing the weight on the bar for your last set.

However, I would think that for the vast majority of non-elite level athletes, a good solid run or bike ride will suffice. You have to be very careful with these intensive workouts.

Axon

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
Axon said:

Can't argue with that...

I think what you may be referencing is Bruce's concern with the traditional way of teach martial arts by "rote" vs. developing the skill that an individual may have. For example, why try to teach someone who has great hand technique to kick when he has zero flexibility.

While that IS very interesting, no, I meant that I recall reading or hearing that he felt not enough time was being placed into improving the individual - the physique, as well as the mind.

Like he felt the abdomen was a shell that you can use to protect yourself from bodyblows, if you took the proper time to develop the entire abdomen.

Dunno, I could be wrong.

G

Axon said:
BruceLee said:
Axon said:

Can't argue with that...

While that IS very interesting, no, I meant that I recall reading or hearing that he felt not enough time was being placed into improving the individual - the physique, as well as the mind.

Like he felt the abdomen was a shell that you can use to protect yourself from bodyblows, if you took the proper time to develop the entire abdomen.

Dunno, I could be wrong.

Certainly, Bruce was one of the earlier MAs to focus on physical prep before stepping into the dojo.

G

I am about to order the giant pizza again but I am NOT going to eat it in short intense HGH bursts like last Sunday :evil:

G

wow this thread exploded...anyway

i will make a commitment to work out starting tomorrow...but if i go bald...who can i blame?

Afro Thunder

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: .

afro21 said:

i will make a commitment to work out starting tomorrow...but if i go bald...who can i blame?

Afro Thunder

honestly, you can blame your heredity :)

G

Re: .

zak84 said:
afro21 said:

Afro Thunder

honestly, you can blame your heredity :)

Well you call always blame white men over the age of 40. I think they caused everything bad in the world.

:laugh:

G

Just to make matters even more complex! See below.

FREE RADICAL PARADOX

The current preoccupation with cardiovascular (or aerobic) conditioning in
promoting health and fitness may be complicated by the implications of
current research into the dangers of free radicals.

The potentially valuable role played by cardiovascular ('aerobic') exercise
in preventing or treating heart disease or offering anti-ageing benefits is
well known to anyone who reads the scientific or popular literature.
Aerobics classes and distance/endurance activities are promoted by the
medical profession and a hugely successful fitness market as a panacea for
virtually all ills.

The listed benefits of aerobic exercise include improvements in VO2 max,
cardiac function, general circulation, reduced levels of 'harmful'
cholesterol, resting metabolic rate (and its effect on bodyfat loss), muscle
function, mood state and several other factors.

The importance of relying heavily on aerobic metabolism instead of anaerobic
activity is stressed frequently, because the latter is not believed to offer
comparable general physiological benefits. 'Anaerobic' training seems to be
acceptable for muscle building, a modicum of local muscle endurance, power
production, speed training and connective tissue, but not really for overall
cardiac or circulatory health (even though more research is questioning these
older dogma).

Recently other research is pointing out the probable serious dangers posed by
free radicals, a type of voracious biochemical structure that is produced
prolifically during aerobic metabolism. These powerful oxidising elements
are reputed to migrate throughout the body and act as triggers or modifying
agents which cause ageing of tissue, some types of cancer and other
miscellaneous diseases. We are advised to consume sufficient quantities of
anti-oxidants in our food in order to combat the harmful side-effects posed
by these apparently vicious by-products of aerobic metabolism. Thus, the
health food market is now flooded with reputed anti-oxidants such as
beta-carotene, selenium, Vitamin E, Vitamin C and various oils.

Does the proliferation of these apparently harmful oxidants or free radicals
in our bloodstream by aerobic processes not then seem to suggest another
solution to the problem, namely, a major reduction in the amount of aerobic
exercise currently being advocated by almost everyone in the health business?
In other words, less aerobic training, fewer free radicals and less damaging
oxidation to age and disease our bodies!

Would a stronger move to anaerobic exercise, such as heavier weight training,
sprinting and intensive intervals then not be the appropriate advice in the
light of this current research into free radicals and tissue change?
Remember, of course, that many of our maintenance daily activities such as
sitting, sleeping and other sedentary tasks depend primarily on aerobic
metabolism. Some regeneration of partially depleted ATP and CP stores also
takes place under aerobic conditions, so it is impossible to live under
entirely anaerobic conditions.

Mel Siff, PhD.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
i think you mean, american white men, if something is wrong in the world people tend to rather blame it on american conservatist rather than actually addressing the issue, i guess it easier to declare who is at fault then make actions that improve not aggravate a situation

Axon

Reaction score
I'll test that out. How would one measure free radicals? Is it possible?

Axon

Reaction score
zak84 said:
i think you mean, american white men, if something is wrong in the world people tend to rather blame it on american conservatist rather than actually addressing the issue, i guess it easier to declare who is at fault then make actions that improve not aggravate a situation

Much like the whole Finasteride thing. It's easier to point the finger.