is there any association between working out and hairloss?

G

Axon said:
Olorin said:
Well, i'm not interested in starting a debate on cardio, but it is most assuredly not the only way.

What else are you going to do to burn fat? You need to get the heart rate up, right?

I define cardio as anything that does that.

No, cardio is not the only way to lose bodyfat nor is it even the preferred way!. The recent research seems to indicate that anaerobic workouts work much more effectively to shed bodyfat than simple cardio.

:lol:

G

BruceLee said:
Yeddie said:
HairlossTalk said:
Pibb said:
there's plenty of monstrous athletes out there who have a completely full set of hair.

There ya go. That thinking process right there should have answered the original posters question :)

HairLossTalk.com

In that case, there are plenty of monstrous athletes out there who are entirely bald. That thinking process right there should have answered the original posters question :)

Not to mention there are plenty of people taking minoxidil that are bald so I guess minoxidil causes baldness. Piss-poor logic, isolated anecdotes without context neither prove nor disprove anything.

As I indicated in my first post, there is no research data on this topic that I am aware of. However, there is research data on the impact of exercise on testosterone levels. That research indicates that the increases that one can generate in T levels is

a. Very small

b. Temporary

Simply put, there does not appear to be a way for an athlete to permanently jack up their T levels to any degree with just intense exercise.

The inference is then that no, exercise will not cause an increase in hair loss.

And yes, there are bald athletes to be seen and those with tons of hair. That observation "proves nothing" either way.

Isn't this fun!

:laugh:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is silly, and I haven't taken ANY position on the issue other than to point out the lack of basis of a few claims in this thread, such as the quoted baseless comparison made by HairlossTalk (which I think was just a simple sloppy mistake :) )

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, but in terms of the young people on this site going bald...ages 18-23, I challenge anyone to find me one person in the NCAA that is balding. Or a college swimmer that is balding...

I have yet to find one....and this question isn't whether exercise can cure male pattern baldness because obviously that is absurd. No amount of exercise can alter your genetics. However, as we've discussed here many times before there is reason to believe it can delay male pattern baldness to a degree.

So you don't need to lecture me (Yeddie) on whether my statement was logical or not. I assure I am more scientific than 99% of the people who frequent this site.

Axon

Reaction score
Well, I was NCAA Div 1AA and I'm starting to lose.

However, I do agree that exercise can only make the situation better.

G

RalphyWiggum said:
Yes, but in terms of the young people on this site going bald...ages 18-23, I challenge anyone to find me one person in the NCAA that is balding. Or a college swimmer that is balding...

I have yet to find one....and this question isn't whether exercise can cure male pattern baldness because obviously that is absurd. No amount of exercise can alter your genetics. However, as we've discussed here many times before there is reason to believe it can delay male pattern baldness to a degree.

So you don't need to lecture me (Yeddie) on whether my statement was logical or not. I assure I am more scientific than 99% of the people who frequent this site.

I don't lecture anyone, I prefer to mock people ;)

And I am that 1% that is screwing everything up for you Mr. Scientist :lol:

BTW I wasn't refering to you, I was kicking HairlossTalk for trying to dismiss your observations using similar but far weaker logic. :)

Axon

Reaction score
BruceLee said:
Axon said:
Olorin said:
Well, i'm not interested in starting a debate on cardio, but it is most assuredly not the only way.

What else are you going to do to burn fat? You need to get the heart rate up, right?

I define cardio as anything that does that.

No, cardio is not the only way to lose bodyfat nor is it even the preferred way!. The recent research seems to indicate that anaerobic workouts work much more effectively to shed bodyfat than simple cardio.

I was told, and I believe this, to not have anaerobic exercise as more than 10% of your regimen. Many instructors feel they are a useful tool but can also lead to inability to burn fat and cravings for sugar if used excessively. Begginners need to establish a good base of aerobics before they take a look at Anaerobics. They are extremely intense and not to be taken lightly.

Further, you're STILL burning fat by raising your heart rate. Cardiovascular activity.

G

Now I am not supposed to work out, I am so confused it's upsetting :cry:

Axon, I don't know anything about this so I am not disagreeing, I just wish exercise was generally understood and somewhat universally agreed upon so that I didn't have to worry about all this conflicting info :(

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
hmm, interesting...so do you think weight training should be kept to a minimum and cardio to a max???

Personally, I think the synergy of doing both (strengthening the circulatory system and increasing HGH) is the best bet.

Right now I am lifting everyday (three day cycle) and have really cut down on my aerobic exercise.

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the most ludicrious thing I've read as of late was Marco's post over at hairsite.

He tried to purport that heightened HGH levels are bad for male pattern baldness....I couldn't disagree more...

Axon

Reaction score
Well, look. To burn fat, I run, ride my stationary bike, or go rollerblading. These are all heart-rate raising activites. I know that I've lost considerable blubber from doing this. I run 3 miles and ride for 6; this process generally takes me 25 minutes.

After that, I use my bowflex for certain muscle groups and my dead weights for others. This is very effective for me. I can't speak for anyone else.

I have never seen an increase or decrease in hairloss for as long as I've been seriously training, which is about two years.

That's all I can say about it. As in all things with the human body, 2+2 does not always = 4 for everyone.

G

Axon said:
I was told, and I believe this, to not have anaerobic exercise as more than 10% of your regimen. Many instructors feel they are a useful tool but can also lead to inability to burn fat and cravings for sugar if used excessively. Begginners need to establish a good base of aerobics before they take a look at Anaerobics. They are extremely intense and not to be taken lightly.

Further, you're STILL burning fat by raising your heart rate. Cardiovascular activity.

I don't doubt that you were told this, that you believe it but that does not make it true. I have never seen the inability to burn fat issue and would love to see your cite for this as well as the sugar craving. So a citation on these facts would be appreciated.

Re: A good aerobic base, that may or may not pertain to runners who are looking to run long distances. Try telling me that sprinters need a good aerobic base or that they dont know how to burn fat (check out ther bodyfat levels!. I think the answer here is fairly obvious.

Yes, you can burn calories and then utilize fat in a number of ways. However, classic LSD is not essential to do this. It is simply one way to do it. It also is a way to become slow and flabby.

Want to look like a marathoner? I though not!

BTW- I never said that anareobics should be taken lightly. Simply that they are the quickest most effective way to get strong and lean.

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else here think Kevin should have a new section specially dedicated to lifestyle/exercise?

Yeah I lift on a three day rotation (Back/bis,Chest,tris,Shoulders/legs) and I want to get to where I am running 3 miles a day (just like Bruce Lee (the real one no offense Bruce you're the man still) did every day). I 've got a long way to go with that.

As far as diet and hair go...I think the worst thing you can do is eat read meat....

The second worst thing you can do is eat anything that is going to instantly skyrocket your insulin levels....

G

Yeddie said:
Now I am not supposed to work out, I am so confused it's upsetting :cry:

Axon, I don't know anything about this so I am not disagreeing, I just wish exercise was generally understood and somewhat universally agreed upon so that I didn't have to worry about all this conflicting info :(

It actually is simple.

Find some exercises you like doing.

Do them

See what impact they have on your body

adapt

Die anyway

G

RalphyWiggum said:
Does anyone else here think Kevin should have a new section specially dedicated to lifestyle/exercise?

Yeah I lift on a three day rotation (Back/bis,Chest,tris,Shoulders/legs) and I want to get to where I am running 3 miles a day (just like Bruce Lee (the real one no offense Bruce you're the man still) did every day). I 've got a long way to go with that.

As far as diet and hair go...I think the worst thing you can do is eat read meat....

The second worst thing you can do is eat anything that is going to instantly skyrocket your insulin levels....

thanks for the compliment Ralph. And the real bruce was the real deal.

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
Bruce,

have you ever read that book that gives the full detials of "Bruce Lee's" daily exercise routine. I own it. It's pretty good and it makes me put into question all this pussy 3x a week bs.

Anyway it's good book I recommend anyone serious about training read it...

G

BruceLee said:
Axon said:

I don't doubt that you were told this, that you believe it but that does not make it true. I have never seen the inability to burn fat issue and would love to see your cite for this as well as the sugar craving. So a citation on these facts would be appreciated.

Re: A good aerobic base, that may or may not pertain to runners who are looking to run long distances. Try telling me that sprinters need a good aerobic base or that they dont know how to burn fat (check out ther bodyfat levels!. I think the answer here is fairly obvious.

Yes, you can burn calories and then utilize fat in a number of ways. However, classic LSD is not essential to do this. It is simply one way to do it. It also is a way to become slow and flabby.

Want to look like a marathoner? I though not!

BTW- I never said that anareobics should be taken lightly. Simply that they are the quickest most effective way to get strong and lean.

What is LSD?

Axon

Reaction score
BruceLee said:

Certainly. In addition to hearing about it from trainers at my gym:

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=9732

Is a good one. I think you're missing the point here - anaerobic exercise (done a certain way) is almost akin to running a marathon. I don't know if it's the simplest way, but I do agree it's probably the fastest.

Still, you'll burn yourself out if you do this sort of thing too often, and he proposes the theory that burnout will lead to what I mentioned.

Because you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue.

G

RalphyWiggum said:
Bruce,

have you ever read that book that gives the full detials of "Bruce Lee's" daily exercise routine. I own it. It's pretty good and it makes me put into question all this pussy 3x a week bs.

Anyway it's good book I recommend anyone serious about training read it...

I do have it and many other books about Bruce and his training.

One thing Bruce was way out in front with was isometrics. There are many resources on Isos from the training labs of the Soviets which are just now making there way out in the public.

Bruce was very very advanced on his training.