is there any association between working out and hairloss?

G

im seriously thinking about working out but im scared that it might cause hairloss. i never worked out before because i was cute enough to get girls without having the body. im not fat, im normal but i just have no muscles. so does working out cause hairloss?

Afro Thunder

Olorin

Established Member
Reaction score
Absolutely not. But of course some steroids and some supplements on the market, generally anything that promises testosterone increases MAY. So buyer beware.

G

Re: is there any association between working out and hairlos

afro21 said:
im seriously thinking about working out but im scared that it might cause hairloss. i never worked out before because i was cute enough to get girls without having the body. im not fat, im normal but i just have no muscles. so does working out cause hairloss?

Afro Thunder

No I am sorry but that excuse is out the door. So, stop thinking and start doing.

:lol:

G

please correct me if im wrong but...doesn't working out = higher testerone levels which = hairloss?

Afro Thunder

G

Re: ..

afro21 said:
please correct me if im wrong but...doesn't working out = higher testerone levels which = hairloss?

Afro Thunder

Working can increase testosterone to a small degree for a brief period of time. However, there has never been a study that has shown (to my knowledge) a link between exercise and hair loss. That is a theoretical leap that is not substantiated in the research world.

G

And where exactly do I find this, "Research World?"

I hear they have good results in treatment of male pattern baldness there :lol:

Olorin

Established Member
Reaction score
If you can increase your test levels enough by working out alone to cause male pattern baldness, you are some kind of genetic freak that needs to be bottled and tested. In other words. You're nuts. :)

Pibb

Reaction score
Let's face it, if it were true, then all professional athletes would be bald. But there's plenty of monstrous athletes out there who have a completely full set of hair.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Pibb said:
there's plenty of monstrous athletes out there who have a completely full set of hair.
There ya go. That thinking process right there should have answered the original posters question :)

HairLossTalk.com

G

HairlossTalk said:
Pibb said:
there's plenty of monstrous athletes out there who have a completely full set of hair.
There ya go. That thinking process right there should have answered the original posters question :)

HairLossTalk.com

In that case, there are plenty of monstrous athletes out there who are entirely bald. That thinking process right there should have answered the original posters question :)

Not to mention there are plenty of people taking minoxidil that are bald so I guess minoxidil causes baldness. Piss-poor logic, isolated anecdotes without context neither prove nor disprove anything.

RalphyWiggum

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually there are a lot less bald athletes then there are non-bald athletes.

If anything doing cardio should HELP fight male pattern baldness.

G

RalphyWiggum said:
Actually there are a lot less bald athletes then there are non-bald athletes.

If anything doing cardio should HELP fight male pattern baldness.

There are also a lot less old athletes than there are non-old athletes.

And there are a lot more bald old people than there are bald non-old people.

Similarly, there are a lot less bald people than there are non-bald people

:p

If that's the science then I will stick to waving of bones! :laugh:

Axon

Reaction score
If you want to get anywhere with your abs, as well as improve the definition on your physique, cardio is basically the only way. It drains your body of fat deposits like a fat woman drains an all you can eat chinese joint.

It also increases stamina like crazy.

Olorin

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, i'm not interested in starting a debate on cardio, but it is most assuredly not the only way.

hopewas

Reaction score
i don't know.. most of the muscular people or fit people in my gym are bald or thinning.. research sites for an answer. my advice is exercise, but don't overdo it

Axon

Reaction score
Olorin said:
Well, i'm not interested in starting a debate on cardio, but it is most assuredly not the only way.

What else are you going to do to burn fat? You need to get the heart rate up, right?

I define cardio as anything that does that.

G

Yeddie said:
HairlossTalk said:
Pibb said:

HairLossTalk.com

In that case, there are plenty of monstrous athletes out there who are entirely bald. That thinking process right there should have answered the original posters question :)

Not to mention there are plenty of people taking minoxidil that are bald so I guess minoxidil causes baldness. Piss-poor logic, isolated anecdotes without context neither prove nor disprove anything.

As I indicated in my first post, there is no research data on this topic that I am aware of. However, there is research data on the impact of exercise on testosterone levels. That research indicates that the increases that one can generate in T levels is

a. Very small

b. Temporary

Simply put, there does not appear to be a way for an athlete to permanently jack up their T levels to any degree with just intense exercise.

The inference is then that no, exercise will not cause an increase in hair loss.

And yes, there are bald athletes to be seen and those with tons of hair. That observation "proves nothing" either way.

Isn't this fun!

:laugh:

Olorin

Established Member
Reaction score
Well if you define weight training as cardio then sure everything is cardio :p Personally, I think running on a treadmill that isn't going anywhere seems a bit silly.