Is It Possible That Rogaine Will Make Me Bald Faster?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have the dreaded 8 month shed. It happens to alot of people. It happened to me. Hair cycles last average 6 months and sometimes up to 8 months. As you cycle, you will go thru sheds that are synergist when using hair loss treatments. I noticed this happens more often when using minoxidil. Unfortunately, you have to just keep waiting until the 2 year mark. That is when most treatments peak. If you tend to stick to the same treatments the hair cycles will start to have less shedding after a few hair cycles in most cases. Hair loss treatments are nothing but a waiting game. Just remember without them, you could be worse but you will never know.

I am at 8-9 months and I am shedding short hairs but not long hairs...

before treatments i shed ALL kinds of hairs.

Since treatments my shed decreased at leas if not more 1/3 to what it was before daily.

NOW its just short hairs shedding.

I am half way thinking its this periodic shed of treatments that happens since the time line...but half of me concerned its minutiriztion since its mostly just small hairs.

My initial dread shed at week 3 into treatment was all kind of hair it lasted 10 days I think.

Any thoughts?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I am at 8-9 months and I am shedding short hairs but not long hairs...

before treatments i shed ALL kinds of hairs.

Since treatments my shed decreased at leas if not more 1/3 to what it was before daily.

NOW its just short hairs shedding.

I am half way thinking its this periodic shed of treatments that happens since the time line...but half of me concerned its minutiriztion since its mostly just small hairs.

My initial dread shed at week 3 into treatment was all kind of hair it lasted 10 days I think.

Any thoughts?
The short hairs may be miniaturized hairs that will be replaced with stronger terminal hairs. Without using a hair densitometer, its hard to know for sure.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I also found this quote from an old poster on another site...interesting perhaps

It's normal for you to have sheds, with or without minoxidil actually. They did a study awhile back showing that hair is thickest in the winer/spring (more hairs in anagen phase) and thinnest in summer/fall (fewer in anagen). I'd post a link but I can't find the study at the moment.

Those of us nursing thin heads of hair are more likely to notice these changes than people with a full head of hair. I think many of the shedding stories guys report on the forums is tied to some degree to this natural shedding cycle. I just want to point that out because I think the instinct is to assume that the shedding has something to do with treatments you are using. And it might at first, but I'm guessing once you've stabilized on treatments shedding fluctuations probably have more to do with seasonal changes.

Unless you are losing more than 100 hairs a day, I wouldn't concern yourself too much with shedding. It happens and as long as it's not excessive, it's not a big deal.

melky1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@melky1 I would first determine if your lifestyle changes cause this loss. Try to de-stress and get to an even level of health and see if some comes back. You can also get your DHT levels tested. If not, I would look into upping to dutasteride or something stronger. Based on everything I've read, minoxidil without effective DHT blocking is not worth it. Just my 2 cents, interested if others agree.

Thanks, @623 -- @DoctorHouse , would you agree with this assessment? I am eating better and in a way better headspace...I know it'll take some time, but of course worried that these shedded hairs ain't gonna be coming back strong or at all. I admit that adding minoxidil would be a bit of a panicked response. If indeed finasteride is losing its effectiveness, would it be worth it?

rmalh8

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, please help me as fast as possible please. I have been using the minoxidil+ propecia since 9 months.I have a huge shedding after 1month and after that my hair regrew I was happy. Now after 8 month I am having another 2time shed.My regrew hair with black thick hair is falling out. (more are black thick). ....MY question is "Does my medicine stop working or anything else".. Please reply me as I am really feeling helpless..
Hi deepak,

did you face any side effects from propecia?

Deepak2797

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys plz help me here as I am totally freak out..
I have been on minxodil and propecia from almost 1.5 year approx and now my hair was thick and shiny but now I am losing my black thick hair at very high rate .
I have suffered from shed after starting medicine 2 times .
1 st shed in 2 nd month after start
2nd shed in 9 th month

So my question is that normal 3 rd shed or now my hair will not come again??
And if it is a shedding then how long will I suffer such sheds with minoxidil and propecia ??

Plz reply fast I would be very thankfull to you..

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Deepak2797 Ive been on minoxidil for 2 and a half years and constantly go through periodic shedding phases. I am going through massive shed currently and even now i still doubt whether my hair will come back... but it always has in thus far. There is no knowing really.

Deepak2797

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Deepak2797 Ive been on minoxidil for 2 and a half years and constantly go through periodic shedding phases. I am going through massive shed currently and even now i still doubt whether my hair will come back... but it always has in thus far. There is no knowing really.

Did your hair always come back I mean after the sheds you have gone through till now ..... Or after every sheds your hair density is decreasing...... And btw thanks for your reply .

And one more thing now the hair falling out are mostly black and thick ....does it mean something if you know

Deepak2797

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on minxodil and propecia from almost 1.5 year approx and now my hair was thick and shiny but now I am losing my black thick hair at very high rate .
2nd shed in 9 th month

And if it is a shedding then how long will I suffer such sheds with minoxidil and propecia ??

If someone also want to give there reply ....then plz reply your answer will help me

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did your hair always come back I mean after the sheds you have gone through till now ..... Or after every sheds your hair density is decreasing...... And btw thanks for your reply .

And one more thing now the hair falling out are mostly black and thick ....does it mean something if you know

It would come back in terms of general density would return, but my hairline has continued to creep back at a slow rate which means my hair loss is still continuing.

mattia

My Regimen
Reaction score
2nd shed in 9 th month

i'm at 9 month of finasteride and minoxidil and i've your same problem. after 7 months of regrowth, i'm in a shedding phase. maybe is the cycle synchronisation that dr house spoke a lot. i wait and see what happen. im losing only short hair and not all of them. it's a strange shedding. maybe they will come back better. we keep updated.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can attest to constant shedding on minoxidil. I get it every 3 months. Hairline will recede then regrow, but the dht areas take a beating and never recover, and since the shedding is so frequent and I have long hair, density never recovers. I spent too long not using an dht blocker that works, so as previously stated by @DoctorHouse i have only really been going backwards. Hurts my soul.

Diaboli

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can attest to constant shedding on minoxidil. I get it every 3 months. Hairline will recede then regrow, but the dht areas take a beating and never recover, and since the shedding is so frequent and I have long hair, density never recovers. I spent too long not using an dht blocker that works, so as previously stated by @DoctorHouse i have only really been going backwards. Hurts my soul.

What dht blocker were you using?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not to be rude, but that made me laugh. Did you end up finding an alternative that worked for you?
Haha all good mate. Sadly I have not, but I’m about to start topical RU. My hormones are crazy sensitive so I’m thinking I’m better off with something that has less systemic sides.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
"Afferd, like I said minoxidil is simply a growth stimulant. So that means if can promote the life of a vellus or miniaturized hair to hang on longer than it would have if you did not use the product." - So in other words use minoxidil. It helps me with itch and shedding, and promotes hair growth.

memzinla

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to the forum, and I've been debating if I should start using Rogaine. I'm 30 years old, and just had a hair transplant to fill in the widow's peaks. My Dr. recommended Rogaine ONLY if I noticed that my hair was falling from the crown. My hair has been the same since my early 20s. I haven't really noticed any hair loss, but I do want my hair to be thicker. I used to have thick hair when I was younger. I bought Rogaine foam, and it's just in the closet. Would you recommend it?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would be same rationale apply for a propecia shed in the DHT sensitive areas?

I am 1.6 years into Hairloss. I had a massive Telogen Effluvium and never fully recovered but was holding solid at the hairline. May of last year I thought I could thicken some of the diffusion per the derms advice I started minoxidil 2 time a day topical. It was a 6 week nightmare. I shifted to oral 1.25 and stuck it out. Hairline never recovered and maybe slight regrowth fell to another shed.

I’m facing the same dilemma with Propecia. In essence we are just buying time. Doing nothing in May would have saved me a few more year in the front where it matters most.

I don’t want to risk years to try propecia due tot he shedding but I also don’t want to force myself over the edge I’m standing on.

@DoctorHouse anythoughts on RU? Or waiting on the procecia? Im at the point where the diffuse thinning now shows scalp can still hide a bit with length but center front is all but gone.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Would be same rationale apply for a propecia shed in the DHT sensitive areas?

I am 1.6 years into Hairloss. I had a massive Telogen Effluvium and never fully recovered but was holding solid at the hairline. May of last year I thought I could thicken some of the diffusion per the derms advice I started minoxidil 2 time a day topical. It was a 6 week nightmare. I shifted to oral 1.25 and stuck it out. Hairline never recovered and maybe slight regrowth fell to another shed.

I’m facing the same dilemma with Propecia. In essence we are just buying time. Doing nothing in May would have saved me a few more year in the front where it matters most.

I don’t want to risk years to try propecia due tot he shedding but I also don’t want to force myself over the edge I’m standing on.

@DoctorHouse anythoughts on RU? Or waiting on the procecia? Im at the point where the diffuse thinning now shows scalp can still hide a bit with length but center front is all but gone.
I cannot give any advice on RU as I have never used it. PM me photos showing your loss as I don't remember seeing any loss in any of your photos. You have better hair than I ever had.