Interesting Study On Attractiveness Overestimation

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
many divas have worn turbans as fashion statements
View attachment 47915

yeah, but it's interpreted differently for musicians. If someone saw a hipster kid walking down the street with a turban they would probably beat his ***. Same should go for white dudes with dread locks that aren't truly Rastafarian.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's mostly normal to above average people rating themselves maybe a point...maybe two higher than they really are and then being branded as unfuckable subhumans. Because if you're not instagram perfect, you're ugly.

Sorry I don't think I follow this and I'm probably missing out on a good thought.

Do you mean they're consciously lying to themselves/ourselves to put across the idea they're more attractive than they are, so that other people will see it? Because y'know what, there were quite a few people that on first view I thought "lol they better not say more than 4..." and then they'll quickly blurt out "8 (wtf) ... because I have a few bad features but I do have symmetrical eyes, cheekbones.. etc" and in my own mind I started thinking "yknow what, maybe I can understand why they'd see themselves as a 6 or so".

Or, are you saying they unconsciously rate themselves a bit higher, because if they go realistic or a bit below realistic, it's too much for people to cope with?

But on that first point, the opposite could be said that if someone who's a 6 said they were a 3, there's a possible chance I could think they're being harsh on themselves and could be as high as a 7. Now THAT would be an experiment.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry I don't think I follow this and I'm probably missing out on a good thought.

Do you mean they're consciously lying to themselves/ourselves to put across the idea they're more attractive than they are, so that other people will see it? Because y'know what, there were quite a few people that on first view I thought "lol they better not say more than 4..." and then they'll quickly blurt out "8 (wtf) ... because I have a few bad features but I do have symmetrical eyes, cheekbones.. etc" and in my own mind I started thinking "yknow what, maybe I can understand why they'd see themselves as a 6 or so".

Or, are you saying they unconsciously rate themselves a bit higher, because if they go realistic or a bit below realistic, it's too much for people to cope with?

But on that first point, the opposite could be said that if someone who's a 6 said they were a 3, there's a possible chance I could think they're being harsh on themselves and could be as high as a 7. Now THAT would be an experiment.

To be honest the whole thing of rating yourself i never even heard of before coming to this forum

to me I have not known people were rating numerically since i was a teenager hanging out on 86th in Bensohurt which was a meat market hangout to cruise men/women and i remember a bunch of guidos would hang out in lawn chairs and hold up numbers as women drove by.

I mean i have participated here for sure...but its honestly so stupid.

its more like our brain registers...ugly, unattractive, average/plain, good looking, hot. or some such impulse.

we don't sit and really analyze features in real world--if so this is something new.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest the whole thing of rating yourself i never even heard of before coming to this forum

to me I have not known people were rating numerically since i was a teenager hanging out on 86th in Bensohurt which was a meat market hangout to cruise men/women and i remember a bunch of guidos would hang out in lawn chairs and hold up numbers as women drove by.

its more like our brain registers...ugly, unattractive, average/plain, good looking, hot. or some such impulse.

we don't sit and really analyze features in real world--if so this is something new.

I pretty much use it just for here, in real life if someone asks me how some girl looks I'll normally just say "oh she's average/cute/hot/stunning" etc. and very rarely will someone talk about actual numbers.

Baldhurts

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I pretty much use it just for here, in real life if someone asks me how some girl looks I'll normally just say "oh she's average/cute/hot/stunning" etc. and very rarely will someone talk about actual numbers.

Same

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have not watched the video, but here's what is probably happening.

It's mostly normal to above average people rating themselves maybe a point...maybe two higher than they really are and then being branded as unfuckable subhumans. Because if you're not instagram perfect, you're ugly. Later, we'll all go over to another thread where we'll b**ch about how vain and superficial social media has made us.

As is tradition

I think Instagram and social media has really distorted the thinking of a lot of people here.

I fully agree with your point, it's really bizarre to see.

If you look at somebody who is vastly above average and think "disgusting subhuman," you have a mental illness.

Last edited:

Baldingat188

Reaction score
IMO this video doesn't prove anything because they could have interveiwed 1000 people and only show the ones where people rate themselves above what they are.

For all these people there are lots of realistic people and people with low self esteem.

Guzam

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm utter trash compared to him. Depressing as f***. All because genetics. It's true, then, the only "morality" in this cruel world is chance.

'The only morality in this world is chance'

HOLY HELL Dante dropping redpills like f*****g Schopenhauer on ecstasy.

Now I'm here, thinking WHY would anyone not take his own life because he's not as handsome and as intelligent as this lucky pretty boy.

Thank you Dante. Such a short sentence, such a big meaning. In fact, all this sub forum and many other places around the Internet can be summed up by this sentence of yours: we're all here venting because we feel bad about things we aren't in control of which pretty much decide and guide our lives (genetics).

There's no free will.

Maybe self preservation instincts prevent us from going all in with the rope, because its extremely easy to realize that there's no f*****g point in living after watching that such a man exists and it's not us. Don't tell me that the love of close ones makes life worth living: they would love me 10x if, tomorrow, I wake up like him: extremely intelligent and Godlike handsome.

What makes us go on then, if chance decides everything at birth and were not born him?

Baldhurts

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
IMG_0300.PNG

Now I'm here, thinking WHY would anyone not take his own life because he's not as handsome and as intelligent as this lucky pretty boy.

Thank you Dante. Such a short sentence, such a big meaning. In fact, all this sub forum and many other places around the Internet can be summed up by this sentence of yours: we're all here venting because we feel bad about things we aren't in control of which pretty much decide and guide our lives (genetics).

There's no free will.

Maybe self preservation instincts prevent us from going all in with the rope, because its extremely easy to realize that there's no f*****g point in living after watching that such a man exists and it's not us. Don't tell me that the love of close ones makes life worth living: they would love me 10x if, tomorrow, I wake up like him: extremely intelligent and Godlike handsome.

What makes us go on then, if chance decides everything at birth and were not born him?

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

I maintain my position that many, perhaps even most frequent posters in these kinds of threads have absurd standards and their idea of average is more what, in the real world, would be considered below average. Significantly, in some cases.

Maybe expectations is a more accurate word than standards.

My favourite incident in this forum, was when I used Felicity Jones as a celebrity example of a person who is beautiful without "being perfect" like the stream of instagram models we see here. I've dated girls that look like her and see comparable women just crossing the street every day. The girl next door type.

I was met with accusations of being too harsh, using movie stars as a standard, people acting like she's this goddess etc.

Wait, what? These are the same people shitting on the average or above average people who AREN'T celebrities on the reg. The same folks I see in the next thread saying society is too judgemental and complaining about how they "just couldn't date someone they don't find attractive", and in another thread they're calling a modestly attractive person "subhuman"...

Great news. If you find Felicity Jones, Daisy Ridley, or Emilia Clarke attractive, you're in luck! You should have no trouble finding 20-30 year old women in your area aplenty of comparable looks or even better. f*** instagram and photoshopped Centerfolds. Have you ever been to college?

If women like the former category are out of your league, even when you had a full head of hair, I have bad news for you and maybe you should stop shitting on pics of real people online.

Baldhurts

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I maintain my position that many, perhaps even most frequent posters in these kinds of threads have absurd standards and their idea of average is more what, in the real world, would be considered below average. Significantly, in some cases.

Maybe expectations is a more accurate word than standards.

My favourite incident in this forum, was when I used Felicity Jones as a celebrity example of a person who is beautiful without "being perfect" like the stream of instagram models we see here. I've dated girls that look like her and see comparable women just crossing the street every day. The girl next door type.

I was met with accusations of being too harsh, using movie stars as a standard, people acting like she's this goddess etc.

Wait, what? These are the same people shitting on the average or above average people who AREN'T celebrities on the reg. The same folks I see in the next thread saying society is too judgemental and complaining about how they "just couldn't date someone they don't find attractive", and in another thread they're calling a modestly attractive person "subhuman"...

Great news. If you find Felicity Jones, Daisy Ridley, or Emilia Clarke attractive, you're in luck! You should have no trouble finding 20-30 year old women in your area aplenty of comparable looks or even better. f*** instagram and photoshopped Centerfolds. Have you ever been to college?

If women like the former category are out of your league, even when you had a full head of hair, I have bad news for you and maybe you should stop shitting on pics of real people online.

I personally do not have high standards at all. I just want a girl who is at least 5/10 facially and who takes care of their body. I find that in 2017 even that is asking way to much apparently.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I personally do not have high standards at all. I just want a girl who is at least 5/10 facially and who takes care of their body. I find that in 2017 even that is asking way to much apparently.

You have high standards. Every single one of your matches was above average, which suggests you always swipe left on on average or below-average women.

Baldhurts

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have high standards. Every single one of your matches was above average, which suggests you always swipe left on on average or below-average women.

I was even swiping on average girls, therefore they didn't swipe me.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score

I agree with you. Daisy Ridley is just an average looking lady. I will give her a 5. Felicity Jones and Emilia Clarke each are a 6. There were women in my college that were far more attractive than any of them. I think some people people have more lenient rating for celebrities and instantly perceive them more attractive than they really are.

Baldhurts

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with you. Daisy Ridley is just an average looking lady. I will give her a 5. Felicity Jones and Emilia Clarke each are a 6. There were women in my college that were far more attractive than any of them. I think some people people have more lenient rating for celebrities and instantly perceive them more attractive than they really are.

I never heard of both but I looked them
Up and I think they are both smoke shows.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

I saw more attractive ladies in my college as well.

But that wasn't the norm, and in general college girls are not the norm either.

College girls are the pinnacle. Even relative to their age group, only half of people go to college, and only one quarter finish. Within that group it's on average the better half and the better quarter.

The median American woman is ~40, 5'4, and weighs 161 lbs, for a BMI of 27.6. You can track the numbers downward for women ten years younger, but I doubt the weight drops below 151 lbs.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw more attractive ladies in my college as well.

But that wasn't the norm, and in general college girls are not the norm either.

College girls are the pinnacle. Even relative to their age group, only half of people go to college, and only one quarter finish. Within that group it's on average the better half and the better quarter.

The median American woman is ~40, 5'4, and weighs 161 lbs, for a BMI of 27.6. You can track the numbers downward for women ten years younger, but I doubt the weight drops below 151 lbs.

You are correct when we take into account all American women. I was just talking about women in the age group of 20-29. Even there, I may have a selection bias as I have mostly met educated women that are in college or have been to college.

GornMyson

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

There's no free will.

I remember when I turned 16, the legal age you can buy a lottery ticket here in the UK and having of these dreams and fantasies about how great life would be if I won. I now realise that I lost the only lottery that really matters. As much as I'd love to look like a Model, I'd be fine with my average looks and a full head, even if a cure comes along this pain will never go away. I was looking at Facebook the other day for the first time in months and you can see that youthful glow and sparkle in there eyes, an innocence I can't remember.