Insulin resistance, PCOS, and male pattern baldness

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
S Foote. said:
The drainage from the scalp can be reduced in this area by androgen increased drainage elsewhere, simple "plumbing" effect because of the complex head feed/ return systems in humans.

This reduced scalp drainage will not build up fluid unless the feed pressure is high. This is why i think there is a proven relationship with high blood pressure and male pattern baldness.
Could you elaborate on this further?

BTW, do you have a copy of hte ligature study? I just found mine:
Treatment for Seborrheic Alopecia:
The Ligature of the Arteries of the Scalp.

Do we have the same study?

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
idontwanttobebalding said:
S Foote. said:
Interesting info folks, thanks.

Freakout i am a mechanical engineer, most of my work over forty years has been related to engines. I started in the engine machining side, then went on to engine developement and trouble shooting. It's more systems engineering, and how one thing effects other things.

I take the same view of physiology.

What is your opinion on this?

http://www.baldingblog.com/2011/08/04/d ... -be-there/

"The transplanted hair almost always takes on the character of its source. In body hair transplants (chest to scalp) the donor hair often changes a bit, getting longer than when it was growing on the chest. There is no memory that I know of, but I do believe that the character of the skin may influence the character of the hair on a mechanical basis alone".

Here is another article about this.

http://www.newhair.com/resources/mp-200 ... inance.asp

I think the exact procedure itself and size of graft makes a difference, and the healing and fibrosis factor complicates the issue. But it cannot be denied that by some mechanism or mechanisms, the recipient site is effecting the growth characteristics.

We need a lot more transplantation experiments aimed at clearing up these questions.

I personaly think that the transplantation industry does not want these experiments to happen.

I dont know the exact legal position, but transplants are sold on the basis that the follicles are "different". If it was proven that they are not and other factors produced the result, everyone who ever had a bad result may have grounds to sue?

Just my thoughts here.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
bump! :punk:

Broons85

Reaction score
Drinking small amounts is a yay (or neutral), drinking large amounts is a huge nay. According to that paper, large amounts of alcohol shut off your insulin/sugar metabolism, and that's at the root of hair loss (and most diseases out there).

czvezda

Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22068870
Aldosterone plays a role in hypertension, and hypertension is prevalent in patients with insulin resistance....This 10-year prospective study demonstrated that plasma aldosterone levels predicted the development of insulin resistance in a general population

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19428991
In conclusion, physiological concentrations of sex steroids did not modify aldosterone secretion by human adrenal cells. However, supraphysiological concentrations of DHT-stimulated aldosterone secretion by human adrenal cells by the calmodulin/CaMK and protein kinase C intracellular signaling pathways but independently of the classical androgen receptor. Supraphysiological doses of androgen may promote cardiovascular diseases via stimulation of aldosterone secretion.

Given that androgen receptor antagonist (e.g. RU58841) can stop/reverse male pattern baldness it is not clear how DHT causes male pattern baldness in hypertension/insulin resistance story.

anupamax

Reaction score
Is it possible to scientifically determine if a person was killed by insulin? My stepfather passed recently under very suspicious circumstances. To put it shortly, we have reason to suspect that an insulin injection might have contributed to his death.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
[youtube:1a1676f7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFP3_EgJ4N8[/youtube:1a1676f7]

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Broons85
if the cells are insulin resistant then they can't grow. Every cell needs insulin to divide. If your hair follicles aren't getting it then they'll stop growing. Then, when you get older, there won't be as many genetic "survival" cues floating around, and insulin is one of those survival cues. So, they'll likely die, leaving you permanently bald.

I completely agree with insulin resistance exacerbating male pattern baldness, if not being the main culprit in some cases, but, in your above statement you make reference to apoptosis of the hair follicle cells following their inability to under take cell division due to no up regulation to glucose.

A lot of guys actually believe this to be true, but it isn't ! The follicle cells just go into permenant telegan state. I know this to be true because i became a norwood 7 at 30 years old, with zero hairs on that shiny bonce, i remained that way for 20 years, then i started using finasteride along with minoxidil 5% and the occasional use of nizoral 2 %. The results where diffused regrowth over a norwood 3 pattern.

So you see if the follicles die like you have stated then this couldn't of possibly occur.

Another interesting point is that medium triglycerides are being used in studies of alzheimer's. This is because there is an hypothesis that insulin resistance plays apart in the condition. Since medium triglycerides require no emulisification these are utilised in the same way carbs are only they carry a different signature so are accepted as an energy source.

For those interested look up Dr Newport [alzheimer's]

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
OBJECTIVE Endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) are decreased in number and function in type 2 diabetes. Mechanisms by which this dysfunction occurs are largely unknown. We tested the hypothesis that a chronic inflammatory environment leads to insulin signaling defects in EPCs and thereby reduces their survival. Modifying EPCs by a knockdown of nuclear factor-?B (NF-?B) can reverse the insulin signaling defects, improve EPC survival, and decrease neointimal hyperplasia in Zucker fatty rats postangioplasty.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS EPCs from Zucker fatty insulin-resistant rats were cultured and exposed to tumor necrosis factor-? (TNF-?). Insulin signaling defects and apoptosis were measured in the presence and absence of an NF-?B inhibitor, BAY11. Then, EPCs were modified by a knockdown of NF-?B (RelA) and exposed to TNF-?. For in vivo experiments, Zucker fatty rats were given modified EPCs post–carotid angioplasty. Tracking of EPCs was done at various time points, and neointimal hyperplasia was measured 3 weeks later.

RESULTS Insulin signaling as measured by the phosphorylated–to–total AKT ratio was reduced by 56% in EPCs exposed to TNF-?. Apoptosis was increased by 71%. These defects were reversed by pretreatment with an NF-?B inhibitor, BAY11. Modified EPCs exposed to TNF-? showed a lesser reduction (RelA 20%) in insulin-stimulated AKT phosphorylation versus a 55% reduction in unmodified EPCs. Apoptosis was 41% decreased for RelA knockdown EPCs. Noeintimal hyperplasia postangioplasty was significantly less in rats receiving modified EPCs than in controls (intima-to-media ratio 0.58 vs. 1.62).

CONCLUSIONS In conclusion, we have shown that insulin signaling and EPC survival is impaired in Zucker fatty insulin resistant rats. For the first time, we have shown that this defect can be significantly ameliorated by a knockdown of NF-?B and that these EPCs given to Zucker fatty rats decrease neointimal hyperplasia post–carotid angioplasty.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
The correlation with Insulin Resistance and male pattern baldness is so there. It is an endothelial dysfunction. Impaired Nitric oxide, chronic inflammation,androgen problems.... male pattern baldness is the male version of PCOS.

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/44478#SEC3

Broons85

Reaction score
majorsixth said:
Originally posted by Broons85
if the cells are insulin resistant then they can't grow. Every cell needs insulin to divide. If your hair follicles aren't getting it then they'll stop growing. Then, when you get older, there won't be as many genetic "survival" cues floating around, and insulin is one of those survival cues. So, they'll likely die, leaving you permanently bald.

I completely agree with insulin resistance exacerbating male pattern baldness, if not being the main culprit in some cases, but, in your above statement you make reference to apoptosis of the hair follicle cells following their inability to under take cell division due to no up regulation to glucose.

A lot of guys actually believe this to be true, but it isn't ! The follicle cells just go into permenant telegan state. I know this to be true because i became a norwood 7 at 30 years old, with zero hairs on that shiny bonce, i remained that way for 20 years, then i started using finasteride along with minoxidil 5% and the occasional use of nizoral 2 %. The results where diffused regrowth over a norwood 3 pattern.

So you see if the follicles die like you have stated then this couldn't of possibly occur.

I never said anything about apoptosis. Apoptosis is one form of cell death. It could be necrosis. You misunderstood me. I'm well aware that the folicles arrest and do not die right away, or maybe ever. I'm not saying the cells will die when you're 30, or 40, or 50. I'm saying that eventually the cells may die. But, the longer they're "resting," because they can't metabolize glucose, the more likely they are to die, either by apoptosis, necrosis, phagocytosis by immune or surrounding cells, etc.

Norwood-null-by-2021

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am sure: Androgenetic Alopecia is arteriosclerosis! This can ONLY affect the scalp alone. But most of the time, if the scalp is affected, other areas of our body also have deposits in the blood vessels.

Hence the association with high blood pressure and heart disease. These are all things caused by arteriosclerosis.
Diabetics and people with insulin resistance are at increased risk of atherosclerosis. That is why we see many diabetics bald. But since there are also diabetics without arteriosclerosis, there are also diabetics with full head hair.

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am sure: Androgenetic Alopecia is arteriosclerosis! This can ONLY affect the scalp alone. But most of the time, if the scalp is affected, other areas of our body also have deposits in the blood vessels.

Hence the association with high blood pressure and heart disease. These are all things caused by arteriosclerosis.
Diabetics and people with insulin resistance are at increased risk of atherosclerosis. That is why we see many diabetics bald. But since there are also diabetics without arteriosclerosis, there are also diabetics with full head hair.
So balding guys shouldn't eat high glycemic foods or smth?

what do you think would be feasible treatment knowing that information

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i agree for sure. we don't need to worry about the severely obese diabetic who has a full head of hair because he doesn't have the balding gene. we just need to look at people with the balding gene and i honestly think insulin resistance/low SHBG can not cause male pattern baldness, but definitely bring it on sooner/faster.

only thing is i've had my insulin tested (twice) and both times it shows normal insulin sensitivity (7 mU/L where the range is <10 for normal, 10-14 for mild resistance and >14 for insulin resistance).

however i have LOW SHBG, high free test, and reasonably high blood glucose.

hmm...

High levels of circulating insulin causes oily skin and acne, it absolutely exacerbates skin and hair problems in people with androgen sensitivity.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So balding guys shouldn't eat high glycemic foods or smth?

what do you think would be feasible treatment knowing that information

No, it's because insulin by what mechanism I don't know, causes and is well known for causing oily skin and acne.

You take metformin, you lower your circulating insulin and your IGF-1 and DHEA and you mitigate the risks.

Norwood-null-by-2021

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Inositol (Vitamin B8) eliminates all of these problems. It even cured acne.
It lowers the insulin level and practically restores all hormones to "factory settings". A real insider tip!