Insulin resistance, PCOS, and male pattern baldness | Page 11 | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

Insulin resistance, PCOS, and male pattern baldness

Discussion in 'Men's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Broons85, Sep 27, 2010.

1. armandein

armandein Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Foote.
    Do you think if hardened sebum an contribute on the contact inhibition supossed process?

2. hairhoper

hairhoper Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:

Yes which is related to my point about this study.

How then are progenitor cells reduced in androgen related hair loss?[/quote:zu0iuwjt]

Genetically, but how is not yet known.

3. hairhoper

Dislikes Received:
    I can't clarify that because it is nonsense.

4. hairhoper

Dislikes Received:
    What does that mean?

What are you getting at?

5. freakout

freakout Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Is it plausible to say male pattern baldness is multi-causal in addition to multifactorial - the reason no one could pin it down?

Since when did Steve Jobs begin taking immune-suppresant drugs? His case is obvkously NOT immune related.

Are you going to laugh if I tell you sitting can kill you?

6. hairhoper

Dislikes Received:
  7. freakout

Dislikes Received:
    idontwanttobebalding, Are you looking for a 'cure' or THE cause? Rather analysing the pathology, finding what's causing YOURS and preventing it from occuring would allow hair follicles to fix themselves.

8. hairhoper

Dislikes Received:
    Ah! Sorry for my tone. Had had a beer and freakout's usual drivel was annoying me. :)

9. balder

balder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Does intercellular pressure put restrictions on cell growth? Does reduction in that pressure help people become slightly taller?

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/wou ... ngs--1413/

External water pressure does not seem to restrict growth of deep sea fish though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_sea_fish

[​IMG]

Insulin Plays Central Role In Aging. The smoking gun insulin connection to male pattern baldness is yet to be discovered though :dunno:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 064935.htm

10. S Foote.

S Foote. Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for that Jacob, this relationship is central to my theory of male pattern baldness as you know, and its nice to see others have noticed this. I will read the link in detail
    when i have more time.

11. S Foote.

Dislikes Received:

If you are suggesting that androgens increase sebum then this restricts scalp follicle growth in some way, you also have to explain the flip side?

how does androgen related sebum production increase follicle size in other areas?

Any valid theory of androgen related hair growth has to do both.

12. S Foote.

Dislikes Received:
    If what you say is true, then the male pattern baldness follicles in the immuno-mouse study would not have regrown.

According to the direct effect theory, everything was present in those transplanted male pattern baldness follicles to maintain them in that condition. And more than enough androgens in the mice (again according to the direct sensitivity claim).

13. S Foote.

Dislikes Received:
    I am talking about extracellular pressure remember.

The thing about hair follicles is that they are "hollow" pockets in the dermal tissue. This makes them sensitive to fluid pressure in dermal tissue because they are hollow.

It is not the direct fluid pressure but the fact that this would push dermal cells in towards any hollow in the tissue. There is a very simple analogy here.

Blow up a party baloon with different pressures of air. For the air think fluid pressure, for the skin of the baloon think dermal tissue. Now push a finger into the baloon to form a pocket in it.

The more pressure, the more resistence there is to the formation of a pocket.

Higher fluid pressure around the growing anagen follicle, normal contact inhibition of growth kicks in earlier, and you get a smaller follicle.

14. hairhoper

Dislikes Received:
  15. DarkDays

DarkDays Member

Dislikes Received:
    After seeing "brain cooling" mentioned one too many times I just have to say this:

Anybody who thinks brain cooling has any reason behind it is a sexist misogynistic pig, I am sorry to say. If brain cooling were a real factor women would be suffering in greater numbers of balding, if not equal to men as they are, and please, quote after me: "Human beings just like men".

Even the annoying "masturbation theory" has more basis in facts than this stupid cooling non-sense. At least there you have loss of zinc and other minerals(in ejaculation) that can create imbalance of minerals.

16. freakout

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps but we can still throw in the androgen factor to account for the difference in men and women.

Such a theory can only apply to frontal scalp hairloss - Norwood Type 5A - not the entire vertex scalp since only the frontal scalp reflects internal cerebral temperature.

Even so, if there is any credit to this "brain cooling" theory, such an occurence could only only a response to an adverse condition - that of a tendency for the cerebral tissues to overheat.

The primary coolant of the brain is blood circulation. Therefore such a theory could be the result of poor blood circulation.

17. freakout

Dislikes Received:
    We already know that hair follicle growth characteristics is recipient or site dominated and we also have this notion that body hair growth is direcly induced by androgens.

The truth is body hair growth is only associated with increased androgen production.

The results of the mouse experiment where biopsies of the donor scalp which include complete pilosebaceous units where regrowth from vellus to terminal was achieved suggests that the root cause of male pattern baldness is being induced from outside the pilosebacous unit.

18. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member
    Staff Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have no idea why you have so much trouble with the "brain-cooling" theory. I think it makes as much sense as any other theory for the evolution of male pattern baldness. It currently has less effect on women for the simple and obvious reason that androgen levels are a very obvious factor in its evolutionary development. I think as the eons go by, balding will gradually have more and more of an effect on women, just as it does on female stumptailed macaques.

19. S Foote.

Dislikes Received:

Has this theoretical treatment grown any hair on the human male pattern baldness scalp yet?

20. freakout

Dislikes Received:
    i know there is a transplant procedure wherein large sections of the scalp at the back are transplanted to the front. Obviously, the front scalp has to be moved to the back.

Does anyone know of such a case and can verify that the bald or balding hairs continued to lose or regrow some hair?

What ever the results of such a case, it could support or throw a hammer on the mouse experiment.