Inflammation/Diet; cause of M.P.B.?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Bryan said:
barcafan said:
Perhaps his conclusions about milk were made before pasteurization was so commonly used (commercially, that is). There is a huge distinction between the milk of now and the milk of the 40's, for example.

His book was originally pulished in 1971. I think it's safe to say that pasteurization was quite common at that point! :)

Farmers did not begin using rBGH until 1993 or 1994. Research rBGH!

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'll believe any of these crack pot theories when someone reverses male pattern baldness by changing their diet.
If it's diet, its reversible, and it should happen to everyone.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
I'll believe any of these crack pot theories when someone reverses male pattern baldness by changing their diet.

Diet influences hormones (Insulin, IGF-1, estrogens, androgens, etc.), hormones unlock genes, eating poorly can cause inflammation, a hormonal imbalance, and a immune system imbalance, these three things is what I believe causes M.P.B. How many people do you know that are willing to change their lifestyle around 180 degress?

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
ClayShaw said:

Diet influences hormones (Insulin, IGF-1, estrogens, androgens, etc.), hormones unlock genes, eating poorly can cause inflammation, a hormonal imbalance, and a immune system imbalance, these three things is what I believe causes M.P.B. How many people do you know that are willing to change their lifestyle around 180 degress?

I've seen people do just that, without any reversal of their hair loss.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
ClayShaw said:

So your saying if someone does just that they will halt their male pattern baldness progression?

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
ClayShaw said:

I think so too, a good diet (vegetables, legumes, fruits, fish, ...) may even prevent some diseases, including male pattern baldness

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Axl_Rose said:
misterE said:
ClayShaw said:

So your saying if someone does just that they will halt their male pattern baldness progression?

Yes. But only halt; M.P.B. is a sign of andropause. Andropause is when men have low testosterone levels and high estrogen and D.H.T. If one were trying to reverse M.P.B., one would want to boost the testosterone levels up while making estrogen and D.H.T. go down to normal levels. One way to do this via diet would be eating a low fat, high fiber diet.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
dpdr said:
misterE said:
ClayShaw said:

I think so too, a good diet (vegetables, legumes, fruits, fish, ...) may even prevent some diseases, including male pattern baldness

You are correct. Bad diets lead to inflammation, which can cause diabetes and other diseases. I don't believe M.P.B. is actually a disease, I think it's a symptom of andropause.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Eating alot of refined carbohydrates contributes more to inflammation than high fat intake.

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html#evidence

The Framingham Heart Study is often cited as proof of the lipid hypothesis. This study began in 1948 and involved some 6,000 people from the town of Framingham, Massachusetts. Two groups were compared at five-year intervals-those who consumed little cholesterol and saturated fat and those who consumed large amounts.

After 40 years, the director of this study had to admit: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol. . . we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least and were the most physically active."

The study did show that those who weighed more and had abnormally high blood cholesterol levels were slightly more at risk for future heart disease; but weight gain and cholesterol levels had an inverse correlation with fat and cholesterol intake in the diet.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Only if the carbs are refind, like soda and candy. High fiber carbs or "whole grains" are anti-inflammatory. Fiber is vital for your health and hair health. I ate an all meat diet for 8 months and my hair fall was the worst it has ever been. It wasn't until I took beta-sitosterol and began eating a leguem based diet that my hair finally improved.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Only if the carbs are refind, like soda and candy. High fiber carbs or "whole grains" are anti-inflammatory. Fiber is vital for your health and hair health. I ate an all meat diet for 8 months and my hair fall was the worst it has ever been. It wasn't until I took beta-sitosterol and began eating a leguem based diet that my hair finally improved.

Very interesting, yes, the most important thing appears to be to find a way to improve insulin sensitivity since insulin is a master hormone and insulin resistance can throw the other hormones out of whack.

http://www.healthmad.com/Nutrition/Hair-Loss-and-Insulin-Resistance.32349

High levels of insulin significantly lower if not totally cut off two other hormones. Glucagon and Sex Hormone Binding Globulin. Glucagon is basically insulin's adversary, also produced in the same part of the pancreas. Glucagon removes artherosclerotic plaques, lowers triglycerides and improves overall blood flow.

SHBG is the more important thing relating to hair loss though. Without it, testosterone is "free", free to be converted into DHT or be used by the body for its other important uses. When SHBG is not in the blood stream in the quantities the body normally would require, I am of the opinion that allot of this excess free testosterone is then converted in the scalp to DHT. It has been shown that BOTH free T and DHT adversely affect hair follicles. More SHBG means much less free T.

People will come back at me with the fact that

1. many balding people are not actually insulin resistant. and

2. some insulin resistant people are not balding.

My responses would be

1. Some people are obviously less tolerant of high insulin levels than others

and

2. this is where the genetic factor of baldness comes in. The androgens.

The people who are insulin resistant but are not balding lack the Alpha reductase and androgens to convert t to DHT locally. If you have elevated insulin levels, and DO have the capacity to convert T to DHT locally, you will bald.

This, I believe, is the connection between insulin resistance syndrome and male pattern baldness. Remember with insulin resistance you have astronomically high amounts of insulin in your system because you are eating a very high carbohydrate diet which would shoot your insulin levels up too high anyway, and your cells are to whatever degree resistant to its effects, so the pancreas has to produce more and more and more for the cells to utilize the blood glucose for energy.

Don't believe what ANYONE tells you about low-carb/zero-carb. Here's the list of "degenerative diseases" I have cured eating only meat, (yes, NO veggies at all):

Anxiety disorder
Depression
Insulin resistance/type II first stage
Reactive hypoglycemia/type II first stage
Overweight
Fatigue
Social anxiety
Memory loss
Overall appearance of aging
Circulatory problems.

I should mention that since going to eating only meat, and zero vegetation or grains, my blood flow is that of a brand new baby. I'm not kidding. For the last few years since developing my blood sugar problems and hair loss when I would lift my arms for even a few seconds they would begin losing feeling FAST.

I never remember that from when I was younger, and when I would sit on the toilet my legs would lose feeling within 1-2 minutes (not completely, but they would begin to fall asleep). Now? After a month of this way of eating I can lift my arms over my head to do over 10 min. of Tom's advanced SE and I still have perfect blood flow to both of them. When I'm on the toilet I can sit there for what seems like forever and my legs don't fall asleep at ALL.

Another thing that happens is, When you become diabetic, as I was at the first stage of diabetes, your nerves in your hands and feet will begin to die off. Mostly because of very restricted blood flow to these areas. The skin right at my toe nails on three of my toes, including the big toe, on my right foot had become black and dead. It was gross to look at and I didn't make the correlation until I read up on diabetes complications.

Wouldn't you know that since doing this all meat diet the skin in these areas has begun to regenerate itself and has color again!?!?! Not to mention I've had a blister, that I thought was just a callus, on that same foot that actually hurts now.

Our paleolithic ancestors did NOT eat anything but meat. The so called "paleodiet" you see on websites is so wrong it's ridiculous. Eating only lean meat and lots of veggies will kill you because fat is the most important nutrient your body needs. In fact, saturated fat, is the healthiest you can eat. Saturated fat will only cause problems if you're eating high carb diets. Saturated fat CAN NOT oxidize in the blood because all of its bonds are occupied, so oxygen can not get in to oxidize the fatty acid. Fatty acids and cholesterol MUST oxidize before ANYTHING bad can happen. This process is elminated when you stop eating carbs, and eat only meat.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wookster said:
Eating alot of refined carbohydrates contributes more to inflammation than high fat intake.

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html#evidence

The Framingham Heart Study is often cited as proof of the lipid hypothesis. This study began in 1948 and involved some 6,000 people from the town of Framingham, Massachusetts. Two groups were compared at five-year intervals-those who consumed little cholesterol and saturated fat and those who consumed large amounts.

After 40 years, the director of this study had to admit: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol. . . we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least and were the most physically active."

The study did show that those who weighed more and had abnormally high blood cholesterol levels were slightly more at risk for future heart disease; but weight gain and cholesterol levels had an inverse correlation with fat and cholesterol intake in the diet.

Damn - I need to lose 10 lbs - guess I should up my saturated fat and caloric intake!

:shakehead:

I can't believe the mods are letting this stay open. There's so much pseudioscience BS in here that it's unbelievable.

How many times must it be drilled into your heads that male pattern baldness is NOT in any way shape or form indicative of a person's overall health????? Changing your diet or exercising or "eating only meat" or "eating only flax seeds" or whatever the hell else you guys are coming up with are just exercises in futility. Sure, there are "studies" which claim all sorts of miraculous health benefits from lowering this and raising that, but there also studies claiming green tea and caffeine have great hair growth properties. ON PAPER it's all true, but in practice it rarely amounts to anything. The fact remains that male pattern baldness is a genetic trait - a trait which we barely have more control over than that of a person's final height or skin color.

I honestly can't believe you would quote someone who said "eating only lean meat and veggies will kill you".

Do you really believe everything you read on the internet?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Saturated fat can be converted into monounsaturated fat via the delta-9-desaturase enzyme. The delta-9-desaturase enzyme is inhibited by partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and sugar. For more fat facts view my post called Fat Facts & Prostaglandins

Fat Facts & Prostaglandins: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=53530

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
rheinblick03 said:
misterE said:
Saturated fat can be converted into monounsaturated fat via the delta-9-desaturase enzyme. The delta-9-desaturase enzyme is inhibited by partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and sugar. For more fat facts view my post called Fat Facts & Prostaglandins

Fat Facts & Prostaglandins: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=53530

Key word there is can fruitcake. Youre retarded as hell if you think diet has anything to do with male pattern baldness. You stance sucks as much schlong as a swedish p**rn star.

Diet influences hormones, hormones influence M.P.B.
You must have a bad diet you don't want to give up.

docj077

Reaction score
This thread both confuses and astonishes me. As Bryan has said, Estrogen and IGF-1 are both pro-growth factors with IGF-1 being pretty much required for follicular differentiation.

To look at it as poor nutrition/obesity = increased estrogen and/or increased IGF-1 is simply wrong.

Total IGF-1 is often normal to increased with free IGF-1 being elevated due to the decrease in production of IGF binding proteins with suppression of GH. This is especially true in obese patients with increased serum insulin concentrations, as well.

Insulin and free IGF-1 should go hand in hand as a person becomes more overweight and more obese. As Insulin rises, so does free IGF-1 due to binding protein suppression.

As for estrogens, they are required for proper hair cycling and recovery from damage. They are needed in concert with the stem cells that assist with follicular regeneration during anagen. In fact, Estrogen receptor beta binding effectively reduces androgen receptor levels. Most importantly, a person needs estrogen to prevent skin aging and for wound repair. They lessen inflammation by reducing proinflammatory cytokines and increase IGF-1, which as I said before is needed for proper follicular differentiation as IGF-1 controls keratinocyte proliferation.

Sure, having a good diet and exercise program are both important parts of any healthy adult or child's life, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that an improper diet will cause hair loss.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
This thread both confuses and astonishes me. As Bryan has said, Estrogen and IGF-1 are both pro-growth factors with IGF-1 being pretty much required for follicular differentiation.

To look at it as poor nutrition/obesity = increased estrogen and/or increased IGF-1 is simply wrong.

Total IGF-1 is often normal to increased with free IGF-1 being elevated due to the decrease in production of IGF binding proteins with suppression of GH. This is especially true in obese patients with increased serum insulin concentrations, as well.

Insulin and free IGF-1 should go hand in hand as a person becomes more overweight and more obese. As Insulin rises, so does free IGF-1 due to binding protein suppression.

As for estrogens, they are required for proper hair cycling and recovery from damage. They are needed in concert with the stem cells that assist with follicular regeneration during anagen. In fact, Estrogen receptor beta binding effectively reduces androgen receptor levels. Most importantly, a person needs estrogen to prevent skin aging and for wound repair. They lessen inflammation by reducing proinflammatory cytokines and increase IGF-1, which as I said before is needed for proper follicular differentiation as IGF-1 controls keratinocyte proliferation.

Sure, having a good diet and exercise program are both important parts of any healthy adult or child's life, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that an improper diet will cause hair loss.
:bravo:

ted-the-truth

Reaction score
Here are my personal opinions.

Male pattern baldness is a 100% lifestyle condition caused by a faulty diet and sedentary lifestyle with little or no physical exercise.

By faulty diet I mean a diet high in calorie, trans fat etc.

However it appears to be mainly genetic because this kind of lifestyle changes the genes permanently and passes through generations making the follicles more sensitive to the inflammation process triggered by DHT.

A perfect demonstration for this is the vast increase in male and female pattern baldness in Japan after World War II, when the western style of life was introduced.

Also I think Bryan is a narrow-minded, quarrelsome person that is evidently in forums such as these only to represent and defend Big Pharma and the likes, killing all creative and alternative thinking with his 30 year old minoxidil studies.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ted-the-truth said:
A perfect demonstration for this is the vast increase in male and female pattern baldness in Japan after World War II, when the western style of life was introduced.
I'm a fan of looking at the alternative treatments but I see this statement on so many natural sites - a lot of things have happened in Japan since WWII than just a change in diet! Perhaps its more caucasians breeding with Japanese that introduced the baldness gene??
The Japanese are also a small race of people - are we to hypothesize that the western burgers'n'coke diet is excellent for increased height then?

My feeling is that diet in general doesn't play a huge part but there is value to be found in certain supplements. We just haven't found the right combination of them yet. Thats the problem with health food - the quality varies so much from brand to brand. At least with the dreaded Propecia you know what you are getting.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
ted-the-truth said:
Here are my personal opinions.

Male pattern baldness is a 100% lifestyle condition caused by a faulty diet and sedentary lifestyle with little or no physical exercise.

By faulty diet I mean a diet high in calorie, trans fat etc.

However it appears to be mainly genetic because this kind of lifestyle changes the genes permanently and passes through generations making the follicles more sensitive to the inflammation process triggered by DHT.

Also I think Bryan is a narrow-minded, quarrelsome person that is evidently in forums such as these only to represent and defend Big Pharma and the likes, killing all creative and alternative thinking with his 30 year old minoxidil studies.

Yep, bald superstar athletes and guys with full heads of hair on the biggest loser are brilliant examples of this.