Inflammation/Diet; cause of M.P.B.?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I have a new theory on M.P.B. I think The Immune System has alot to do with the hair cycles and balding process. The reason why I think this is because I was looking at studies/theories that claim constant inflammation is pretty much constant oxidative stess/free radical damage, which can occur in the hair shaft, causeing small scars preventing hair growth. The Immune System controls the stem cell growth area(s) of the body... When other areas of your body are constantly being "eaten away" by free radicals, or inflammed, The Immune System diverts the stem cells going into the scalp, to these inflammed areas in and around your body causing hair loss, when your hair shafts are inflammed, I heard coconut oil prevents scalp inflammation put on topically for one hour, plus Nizoral shampoo is anti-inflammatory. Most of the Immune System is located within the intestines. Chonic consumption of inflammatory food (high glycemic/animal fat) constantly disrupts the Immune System balance. One thing interesting I learned about Beta-Sitosterol and all other Phytosterols is that it is poorly absorbed by the Intestines so therefor it works within the Immune System, preventing inflammation and just like dietary fiber: proventing bile reabsorbtion,which causes inflammation.

Taking steps to constantly boost immune fuction, reduce inflammation, and reduce Estradiol/D.H.T. levels will yeild best regrowth results. I began taking Beta-Sitosterol (availible at health food stores, and found naturally in brown rice,beans,flaxseeds,etc.) and my hair shed began to dramatically reduce in just one day, no joke.

cuebald

Reaction score
I'm not sure I buy it.
Do you mean people on anti-inflammitory meds (Ibuprofen, Diclofenac etc) would be prevented from going bald?

hmm, I have some topical Ibuprofen gel. Should I use that on my head?

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The problem with the diet theory is that, if true, it would mean that hair loss is reversible. It's not.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
The problem with the diet theory is that, if true, it would mean that hair loss is reversible. It's not.
It would be reversible because all the "energy" is being used to repair the inflammation areas, instead of growing new hair. If you reduce or even stop inflammation, you promote an enviroment suitable for regrowth. Take all the Propecia you want, if you still have inflammed hair shafts or hair roots, you won't get the maximum regrowth benefits. The Inflammation Theory also possibly explains how minoxidill or nizoral work to promote regrowth.

cuebald

Reaction score
Naproxen - miracle hair loss cure!

barcafan

Reaction score
I definitely think lifestyle (That includes everything that isn't genetic) can 'trigger' male pattern baldness, that is make it start earlier than you were destined to. But i still think in the end, if it runs in your genes, it'll happen to you.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
"Coconut oil used as a pre-Nizoral conditioner" tried this recently: rub coconut oil onto scalp, let sit for one hour or until it completly soaks up, then rinse with cool water and shampoo with Nizoral 1% or 2%, when you get out of the shower massage your head softly... when I did this and combed my hair I notice hardly any hair in my comb, i use to lose 250plus hairs a day. I am convinced that Inflammation is the actual balding process, DHT/Estradiol is one of the precursors to Inflammation. A diet high in inflammatory foods (animal fat/sugar/sweets) is also precursors to Inflammation. Coconut oil seems to penetrate and control the inflammation under the skin including the hair shaft and root, and prevents your scalp from becomming dried out after using Nizoral. Nizoral is a known DHT inhibitor/Anti-Inflammatory. This double approach, combined with an active lifestyle and an anti-inflammatory diet, could possibly result in hair regrowth.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Taking steps to constantly boost immune fuction, reduce inflammation, and reduce Estradiol/D.H.T. levels will yeild best regrowth results.

Really? Then why does estradiol stimulate the growth of balding frontal hair follicles?

cuebald

Reaction score
I guess using topical Estradiol would be far too dangerous for any man to use for male pattern baldness, if it's absorbed topically anyway?

I'm a layman here, but what is the main cause of male pattern baldness? Is there anywhere I can read about it? Most places just say it's caused by "DHT" but don't go into any more detail.
I thought it was your bodies immune system attacking your follicles causing them to shrink over time? what DHT has to do with this is beyond me.
I've also read that each hair has a "lifetime" - it can be regenerated 20 times or so before it dies, and male pattern baldness shortens this lifetime somehow. Of course, I know next to nothing about it, does anyone have any informative reading?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
cuebald said:
I guess using topical Estradiol would be far too dangerous for any man to use for male pattern baldness, if it's absorbed topically anyway?

Probably. An early study by Kligman showed that topical estrogen has a high risk of systemic absorption, at least with the exact formula and vehicle that he was using at that time. It remains to be seen if estrogen might be safe when applied in a different kind of vehicle, but it seems rather unlikely to me.

Anyhoo....I find it weird that people like the original poster are always coming along every so often to tell everybody how TERRIBLE estrogen is for balding, despite the scientific evidence in favor of it! :)

cuebald said:
I'm a layman here, but what is the main cause of male pattern baldness? Is there anywhere I can read about it? Most places just say it's caused by "DHT" but don't go into any more detail.

Androgens cause the dermal papillae of scalp hair follicles to secrete various growth-suppressing chemicals which then adversely affect the health of the rest of the follicle. They have the opposite effect on most body hair follicles: they cause them to secrete growth-ENHANCING chemicals. Nobody knows yet why there is such an opposite effect in the scalp.

cuebald said:
I thought it was your bodies immune system attacking your follicles causing them to shrink over time? what DHT has to do with this is beyond me.

That's been a controversial theory over the years. I don't know if there's really any truth to it.

cuebald said:
I've also read that each hair has a "lifetime" - it can be regenerated 20 times or so before it dies, and male pattern baldness shortens this lifetime somehow.

That theory has been bounced around over the years, too, but I doubt there's any truth to it.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
for me a person is eating right with a balanced diet may not have male pattern baldness, I even started to lose hair 2 years back and broke for Propecia, dropped her time with all meals from fast food, industrial food and soda, are already 1 year and means you do not lose more hair as before

I believe that food is more the style of life may influence the hair loss or male pattern baldness (Do not believe that the genes or DHT)

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
dpdr said:
for me a person is eating right with a balanced diet may not have male pattern baldness, I even started to lose hair 2 years back and broke for Propecia, dropped her time with all meals from fast food, industrial food and soda, are already 1 year and means you do not lose more hair as before

I believe that food is more the style of life may influence the hair loss or male pattern baldness (Do not believe that the genes or DHT)

Are you talking slang? how come i don't understand a word you just said???

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
elvis123 said:
dpdr said:

Are you talking slang? how come i don't understand a word you just said???

I told you not believe in male pattern baldness and not in the genes of baldness, for me it is all a matter of good nutrition :)

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
cuebald said:

I've also read that each hair has a "lifetime" - it can be regenerated 20 times or so before it dies, and male pattern baldness shortens this lifetime somehow. quote]

Possible: DHT activity in scalp causing ungrowable environment due to chronic microscopic inflammation.
Solution: Inhibit DHT/Androsterone, apply anti-inflammatory agents frquently (coconut Oil, Emu Oil, Nizoral). Avoid inflammatory foods (red meat, deserts, milk, soda). Exercise every day (body fat creates inflammation and causing an imbalance between estradiol/testosterone). Boost your immune system (eat whole foods and get plenty of lean protein, unsaturated fat, and whole-grain fiber, exercise, and look into beta-sitosterol... it is poorly absorbed by the intestines so there for it works within the digestive-track, possibly reducing inflammation and bile reabsorbtion and reported to help regrow hair).

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
I told you not believe in male pattern baldness and not in the genes of baldness, for me it is all a matter of good nutrition

Do not take this advice. It is wrong.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Avery said:
I told you not believe in male pattern baldness and not in the genes of baldness, for me it is all a matter of good nutrition

Do not take this advice. It is wrong.

It could have some truth to it, especially considering diet is the main cause of inflammation.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I don't know about the sodium bicarbonate. Fast food is "empty" food; no nutrients only fat, protein, refind carbs, and no fiber. Try to eat a whole food diet. Dairy, soda, candy, sweets, pastries, are absolutly devestating to the health of your body and hair. Bentonite clay is alkalizing and it removes toxins, heavy metals, parasites and loads of other things out of your body...essential for a detox program. Remember, you are what you eat!

Silent Inflammation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4XtM1XKSNA

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Dairy, soda, candy, sweets, pastries, are absolutly devestating to the health of your body and hair.

Here are some statements from the great biochemist Roger Williams in his outstanding book Nutrition Against Disease (Williams is the scientist who actually discovered pantothenic acid, and gave folic acid its name). It's from the chapter titled "Food Fads" (the emphasis added to that one sentence in the middle is my own):

"Those who know and care about the chemical composition of milk--what food qualities it possesses--realize that it contains a most unusually well balanced assortment of minerals (except iron, which is a notable lack), amino acids, and vitamins, and that its chemical composition makes it an extraordinarily good food for old or young... Those who have experimented with feeding laboratory animals milk and milk products know that its value as a well-rounded food is outstanding and difficult to match with any other common food. Almost any animal consuming a diet free from milk will have its condition improved if some milk is added to its diet. This effect is brought about not only by the minerals and vitamins, which are extraordinarily well balanced, but also by the excellent balance of the amino acids in milk proteins... Any extreme position with respect to milk--either that it should be used universally or that its use should be restricted to small children--is a faddist notion which cannot be defended scientifically... Milk is such a marvelously complete food in so many respects that it seems a shame if its nutritional value has to be lost to any substantial part of the population."