I'm in the dumps

G

Sorry guys for opening a new thread for this, just needed to vent (and don't start saying that I'm some other poster haha). So, it's been a little over a year since I realised that I'm really loosing my hair. During this 12 months period I've been on finasteride for 11 months, nothing gained except chest pain, slight gyno and a tad of sleepyness. I've used minoxidil foam now for a little over 3 weeks, but it feels so hopeless since finasteride isn't doing anything for me so my balding will just creep on. The foam would have to do little miracles to hold my balding even for just a while. My scalp feels bad on the NW6 area, usually itches like hell and I'm scared of putting the lotion (betamethasone) on my thin hair.

A year ago no one would've thought that I'm going bald, I still had a reasonable amount of hair. Since then everything has gone to hell, I'm very thin on NW6 area except the very hairline and the "bridge". Been losing shitloads of hair for the last month, they're basically everywhere, about 10 on my pillow, around 20-30 on my t-shirt collar every day etc. It's a lot of hair for someone this thin. I'm in a complete dead end, I'm scared of buzzing because most of my friends haven't seen me buzzed yet and during the summer I'll be seeing them many times a week. Also I hate my head shape. But on the other hand, I can't keep growing the dead strands any longer, I look like a clown. My family keeps saying that I'm not losing my hair, I've always had thin hair and I won't get absolutely any support for them. I have felt suicidal lately, and I hate to admit it. Thanks for this opportunity to vent, you are bunch of good people.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I have had troubles at sleeping lately, I'm feeling on a hyper-drive all the time and feel short of breath.

G

Itsonlyinmyhead said:
Also I hate my head shape

I think Ive commented on this enough

[quote:66b97]I'd like to add that I have had troubles at sleeping lately, I'm feeling on a hyper-drive all the time and feel short of breath.

You need to stop taking all the $#iT that your taking then[/quote:66b97]

I don't think the meds are completely to blame, it's my own mind that's playing tricks. I can't take this sh*t and it shows. I felt the same a year ago when I wasn't even taking any meds yet.

Pondle

Reaction score
GrowHairGrow, do you get your finasteride from an internet pharmacy, and if so, which one? If it's a dodgy site your lack of progress is probably due to a counterfeit med, rather than being a non-responder. Of course I wouldn't rule out the latter.

You could try switching from finasteride to dutasteride. Inhouse and Merlonipharma both offer very reasonable prices on Dutas and Avodart, respectively.

You could add another topical like Folligen, Prox-N, Nanoguard, Tricomin, Revivogen, or Eucapil.

On his Myspace site CCS outlines how to get hold of RU58841, the most powerful topical androgen receptor blocker there is. It does not have systemic effects, and only needs to be applied once a day.

http://tinyurl.com/2r7dfz

BTW I thought you already buzzed your hair? If that's you in your avatar pic, you've got a close cut!

G

Pondle said:
GrowHairGrow, do you get your finasteride from an internet pharmacy, and if so, which one? If it's a dodgy site your lack of progress is probably due to a counterfeit med, rather than being a non-responder. Of course I wouldn't rule out the latter.

You could try switching from finasteride to dutasteride. Inhouse and Merlonipharma both offer very reasonable prices on Dutas and Avodart, respectively.

You could add another topical like Folligen, Prox-N, Nanoguard, Tricomin, Revivogen, or Eucapil.

On his Myspace site CCS outlines how to get hold of RU58841, the most powerful topical androgen receptor blocker there is. It does not have systemic effects, and only needs to be applied once a day.

http://tinyurl.com/2r7dfz

BTW I thought you already buzzed your hair? If that's you in your avatar pic, you've got a close cut!

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting the finasteride from a pharmacy here in Finland, so it's most likely the real stuff. It's called Gefina, and it's 5mg finasteride meant primarily for treating prostate cancer, and I cut the pills in 4 parts until March. From March on I've been cutting the pills in 6-7 parts, to avoid side-effects. There's no way to get dutasteride for treating hairloss here, because it isn't approved for that purpose unlike finast. Ordering medicines overseas is illegal, and will most likely get busted by the toll. Hell, I tried ordering saw palmetto and even that couldn't get through! Besides, getting slight gyno from finasteride doesn't encourage to use stronger stuff. Revivogen is darn expensive, and so is Tricomin. I'm still thinking about adding copper peptides in some form, though.

Yeah I buzzed my hair twice, once in October and once in January. Got really mixed response and didn't like the visual side of it myself. It was low on maintenance though, which was nice. Most of my friends that I'll be seeing in the summer live out of town nowadays, so they didn't see me with a buzz.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
GrowHairGrow, no need to feel suicidal. You have to be patient with drug treatments. In about six months you should see things getting better. If your avatar is a photo of you with shaved hair then you have nothing to worry about. I showed it to all the hot nurses here and they said you look like a model. I wish I looked like a model. If you start feeling down start looking at some before and after photos of hair transplant patients and realize you can always get your hair back thicker and more dense. Losing hair is not a reason to want to end your life when you know you can get it back if you just be patient.

Pondle

Reaction score
You should be able to get Avodart or any other med from Merlonipharma through customs. Although Merlonipharma is based in Switzerland, they dispatch from Italy. Both Italy and Finland are inside the EU so there should be no customs interception.

Avodart isn't approved for hair loss anywhere, though doctors are allowed to prescribe drugs "off label" and the UK does not stop the import of small quantities of prescription meds for personal use. I guess Finnish customs must be tougher. But there will be no problems getting supplies from Merlonipharma.

As far as the side effects go, I take Grape Seed Extract (100mg/day). GSE is an aromatase inhibitor and stops testosterone from being converted to estrogen. I doubt it's as strong as a prescription drug like Arimidex but it makes me feel better. Speaking of Arimidex, this is another option for gyno. Again, Merlonipharma could probably supply if you email them.
http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss-info/ ... mastia.htm

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi mate

listen, you're going through a bad patch but things will get better - not just on your head but in it. just try to ride it out and realise that when you get through it - which you will - that you'll come out the other side a stronger person. what you're going through is HORRIBLE and a lot of people "give up"; suicide, depression, neglecting friends etc. be stronger than that, dont let this f*****g hairloss sh*t beat you. This is YOUR life and you deserve to live it and be happy.

seriously, in a completely heterosexual way, you're pretty f*****g buff. I wish i looked as good as you :p

is buzzing your head not common where you live? perhaps you can start a new trend? better than to follow everyone else..

G

Thanks for all the responses. DoctorHouse, that model thing was fun :lol: . It's always nice to get compliments, although you must remember I'm only 5.7" so I couldn't be a model :hairy: . Anyhoo, Pondle, I think that my lack of success has a lot to do with the fact that I haven't addressed the scalp pain issue properly. I have had horrible scalp pain since July last year, and I don't think one can expect any regrowth if one's scalp is in such a bad condition. I'm treating it now with hydrocortison and betamethasone to keep it balanced. Hopefully it will help some.

Flimflam, thanks a lot :lol: . No I would say buzzing is pretty common here, especially in the summer. It's just that I have never done it and not many in my group of friends have either. I should have done it when I was in the army, most dudes there had a buzz... well you gotta have regrets.

And yeah, I WILL buzz it soon and face the world. If someone has got something to say about it, I'll deal with it. I'm thinking thursday or friday could be a good day, I could go to our summer cabin for the weekend and have a proper tan in my head.

barcafan

Reaction score
dude you're on meds, you're doing everything you can, even if you lose the 'battle' dont feel bad its not like you're just sitting there and not doing sh*t. It's hard to say 'dont worry about it' but f***, just dont worry about it! Stay on the treatments, give them 2 full years.

G

barcafan said:
dude you're on meds, you're doing everything you can, even if you lose the 'battle' dont feel bad its not like you're just sitting there and not doing $#iT. It's hard to say 'dont worry about it' but f***, just dont worry about it! Stay on the treatments, give them 2 full years.

Yeah I know, man. It's just that I can't cope having hair this thin, it's f*****g killing me. I just got out of shower and my hair is about the thinnest it has ever been, I saw way more scalp than I saw hair and the hair just feels lifeless all around my head. I'm losing like 50 hairs a day and it's going even worse all the time.

G

buzz your hair with no guard on the clippers like i did. should cover up most diffuse thinning.

Pondle

Reaction score
GrowHairGrow! said:
Yeah I know, man. It's just that I can't cope having hair this thin, it's f****ing killing me. I just got out of shower and my hair is about the thinnest it has ever been, I saw way more scalp than I saw hair and the hair just feels lifeless all around my head. I'm losing like 50 hairs a day and it's going even worse all the time.

Honestly GrowHair, if you feel that finasteride isn't cutting it order Avodart from Merlonipharma or QHI. You should have no fears about customs intercepting deliveries from inside the EU. And with Merlonipharma, the meds are most definitely legit and the price is right. 60 capsules Avodart are 110 euros shipment included, 90 capsules are 140 euros shipment included. The delivery time is about 10 days.

G

Pondle said:
GrowHairGrow! said:
Yeah I know, man. It's just that I can't cope having hair this thin, it's f****ing killing me. I just got out of shower and my hair is about the thinnest it has ever been, I saw way more scalp than I saw hair and the hair just feels lifeless all around my head. I'm losing like 50 hairs a day and it's going even worse all the time.

Honestly GrowHair, if you feel that finasteride isn't cutting it order Avodart from Merlonipharma or QHI. You should have no fears about customs intercepting deliveries from inside the EU. And with Merlonipharma, the meds are most definitely legit and the price is right. 60 capsules Avodart are 110 euros shipment included, 90 capsules are 140 euros shipment included. The delivery time is about 10 days.

Well if it says anything about medicines in the package, it will most likely be intercepted by customs. 110 euros? Darn that's expensive, how often should a capsule be taken?

Pondle

Reaction score
GrowHairGrow! said:
Well if it says anything about medicines in the package, it will most likely be intercepted by customs. 110 euros? Darn that's expensive, how often should a capsule be taken?

Package is unmarked, as I recall - but check with Merlonipharma by email. Customs can't intercept unmarked goods from within the EU - the EU is a single market with free movement of people, goods and services (http://europa.eu/pol/singl/index_en.htm). It's the same as being sent a delivery from elsewhere in Finland - customs can't intercept within country deliveries :) Merlonipharma's price is much better than you'll find elsewhere - compare Avodart prices at Walgreens in US (with prescription) or at Unitedpharmacies or Inhousepharmacy. With dutasteride the long half-life allows a more flexible dosing schedule.

dutaslevels.jpg

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put my confidence on propecia or avodart in terms of regrowth.

As a standalone product I have only seen marginal results regarding regrowth, in this forum or HLH or anywhere else. They are great mantaining, though.

It is not unusual that they improve a bit the thickness of the diffussing areas, giving more coverage where there was miniaturizing hair, but I've never seen nothing spectacular.

If you want good news, minoxidil should be on the list. And you're doing it already, just give it some more time, and ride the hard times as good as you can.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Pondle said:
GrowHairGrow! said:

Package is unmarked, as I recall - but check with Merlonipharma by email. Customs can't intercept unmarked goods from within the EU - the EU is a single market with free movement of people, goods and services (http://europa.eu/pol/singl/index_en.htm). It's the same as being sent a delivery from elsewhere in Finland - customs can't intercept within country deliveries :) Merlonipharma's price is much better than you'll find elsewhere - compare Avodart prices at Walgreens in US (with prescription) or at Unitedpharmacies or Inhousepharmacy. With dutasteride the long half-life allows a more flexible dosing schedule.

dutaslevels.jpg

pondle....why do you alternate finasteride and dutas?

Pondle

Reaction score
Because I originally bought Dr Reddys Dutas from Inhouse and I wasn't sure that they were legit. But I'm more confident in the Avodart I bought from Merlonipharma. Actually the Dutas is probably fine too. I've started to buy other things like Retin-A (for skin) from Inhouse as well.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Pondle said:
Because I originally bought Dr Reddys Dutas from Inhouse and I wasn't sure that they were legit. But I'm more confident in the Avodart I bought from Merlonipharma. Actually the Dutas is probably fine too. I've started to buy other things like Retin-A (for skin) from Inhouse as well.

ok, but now your gettin it from merlonipharma...why are you still alternating?

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GrowHairGrow,

I was reading your regimen and you really need to give minoxidil more time. It took me 6 months until I could go out again without a baseball cap when I started.