If You Could Start All Over Again From Scratch How Would You Attack Your Hairloss?

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get the f*** on finasteride and stop f*****g around. Derms are notorious for being pseudo-scientists and "Telogen Effluvium" is often nothing more than good ol male pattern baldness.

Your hair doesn't look bad AT ALL in that one terrible photo though tbh, but hard to tell. Get on finasteride or you're f*****g yourself over long term.
THIS. Do this asap.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I were to go back I would have started finasteride 3-5 year's sooner than I did. Strong chance I wouldn't even need to bother with minoxidil if I had done that

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m on the brink of starting Finasteride.

My concern is that because there has been so much diffuse loss and now the hairline so fast that if I don't respond and suffer another shed I’m essentially forcing myself into a cosmetically awful situation.

I listened to six top derms tell me I should wait on propecia and that I was suffering from a Telogen Effluvium.

I am working with the top transplant doctor in the Midwest (Dr. K) now and have been on oral minoxidil only since May. My hairline is now compromised and I’m ready to pull the trigger but I regret the minoxidil because I never got back to baseline after that shed. Still messing with Keto and LLT too.

How would you attack it all over again with Finasteride?

Branded?
Dose?
Oral/Topical?
Hair cut?
Keto?
Minoxidil?

I would really appreciate some experienced perspectives.

I would take 1mg finasteride WITH 0.5 mg of dutasteride daily along with 15% minoxidil solution WITHOUT PG.

I'd also get my blood levels regularly checked, and start with low doses of oral spironolactone if necessary.

I've learned to completely tune out the fear mongering of side effects on the internet, it's always better to try it yourself with great chances of success and stopping if things go south than it is to go bald without trying and forever wonder what could have been...

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
They suggested the oral. Also reverted the other derms Telogen Effluvium diagnosis.

One talking point I remember was ‘this is what doctors in the field are doing for minoxidil these days’ in regard to low dose oral.

abcdefg

Reaction score
People always make fun of people who come on here like Norwood 1.5 or Norwood 2, but you have to start early. You cant fix it after your come on here posting Norwood 5 pictures. It has to be prevented or accepted. There is no other treatment that regrows hair. With bad family history its probably worth taking it at the very earliest signs even risking the sides.

Vanitykills

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I go with a brand always, If I were you starting from scratch, go with Propecia 1mg and a good shampoo like Revita.

With the way your hair is, it's in a good state, I would use nothing else. You'll be fine.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks all. I need to give this a shot.

Any experience starting with a lower dose? Noticed in a few places people beginning with .5 or even .25 daily easing into 1 mg or the reverse where they start at 1mg and gradually reduce their dose.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would never have touched finasteride and started with oral minoxidil.
Also @Afro_Vacancy are you taking the RU orally if you are micro dosing?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
i know that some people on this forum can consider some Norwood 1 people as Norwood 3
But guys , check his other pictures , the dude literally got a Norwood -1 .
He can take some propecia as a preventive measure but his hairline is perfect

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
i know that some people on this forum can consider some Norwood 1 people as Norwood 3
But guys , check his other pictures , the dude literally got a Norwood -1 .
He can take some propecia as a preventive measure but his hairline is perfect

What’s hard to show in a photo is the full crown, vertex, hairline diffuse loss. There has never been a pattern. I shed 200 plus a day from all but the lower back. Only now that the hairline is seeing that loss is it noticeable.

I have read anecdotally that the Finasteride can yield solid results for diffuse thinning.

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought propecia was the devils drug

Back in Ye Old Days of hair loss treatment (I started maybe 10+ years ago) hardly anyone was saying sh*t like that. Losing your hair? Get on finasteride+minoxidil asap. Simple as that. If you grow man titties or dick goes limp, maybe you stop, maybe you cope. Simple.

We got to stop demonizing finasteride... how many guys ended up bald when it could have been prevented?

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I go with a brand always, If I were you starting from scratch, go with Propecia 1mg

Why? Propecia is stupid expensive compared to the generics, which are required by law to be identical. And even if the generic manufacturer isn't careful and you get 0.8mg or something, it's fine:

finasteride-DHT-inhibition-curve.jpg

This is why micro doses like 0.5mg still work