I'd rather have a thick, defined norwood 2-3 then a norwood 1...am I crazy?

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You have good hair mate, it's a good look :) what are your worries about finasteride? I've been on it 4 years now, and it's done the trick for me thankfully :)

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers, mate. You don't seem to have any hair loss, did you get on finasteride before it started? I'm worried about the sexual side effects, gyno, brain fog etc etc. I've promised myself to stop reading about all the dangers of finasteride and just go for it. Did you get any side effects? Where do you get your finasteride?

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You're very welcome. I just use my long hair to cover my forehead. I had a high hairline (never even realised it at the time), so my minimal recession was exacerbated by that. It's my temple points that have pretty much vanished, along with the first inch and a half of my frontal hair being pretty see through. It's just the long fringe masks that. Don't get me wrong, things could be much much worse, so in that respect, I don't have anything to complain about really. Especially as I'm 32!

I get mine from Inhouse. What country do you hail from fella? I'm in the UK, and Quantum Cat has told me of how he managed to get his GP to do a private prescription for finasteride, which I shall try when my next lot runs out :) As for sides, I had the watery semen at first, which didn't make any difference to my sex life. No problems getting it up etc, thankfully. I don't think I've had brain fog and I was depressed before I ever took finasteride, so don't think I've had either of those potential side effects either. Hope that helps!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my thread with a bit more information :)

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/62435-ChrisW1980uk-s-Story

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Well finasteride certainly seems to be working for ya! Encourages me even more to go for it. I'm from the UK too, Northern Ireland to be exact. I know Boots pharmacy do a hair retention programme and I think they charge £30 a month though! Thanks for the info

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Inhouse charged about £15 for a months supply of Generic Proscar, which I cut into quarters. I'm not sure what that would be in Euros, but certainly cheaper than Boots :)

Thank you for your kinds words!

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I would prefer a thick nw2 over a full NW5 anytime at all.

I AM AWESOME

Established Member
Reaction score
As a diffuse thinner and a strong NW1 I agree. I mean a Norwood 1 is useless without any density, so I'd die to have Norwood 2-3 with thick hair.

shookwun

Reaction score
Only works when your native hairline is low and in balance with the rest of your face.

Prominent forehead with even the smallest recession will start to throw your aesthetics ot the door.

Another important factor is havig temple points if you plan on gracefully receding without looking like a fool.

Temple points + hairline placement are the deciding factors on pulling off a nw2-3

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
NW2 is fine. Look at Johnny Depp, he's an amazing NW2. I'll agree that forehead size is massive. I got back to NW2 with decent desnity, though not thick (or NW2 class at least), but with a big forehead it doesn't quite look right. Shape is also very important. If your forehead tapers inwards past your eyebrows then it's good. If it actually gets wider (heart shaped head) it looks pretty ****. Nothing wrong with NW2, but head shape and hairline work in tandem, it's why some dudes look good bald and some don't. Head shape determines hairstyles you can pull off, and what hairlines look good/bad.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use to disagree with this point of view (back when I had REALLY thick hair but starting to recede. Now as my hair volume as thinned out A LOT in the last year (hell, the last few months) I agree with you AoR. Density is a far better feature to have!

This pretty much sums up my experience. A year ago I was NW2 with complete density and was very happy with it, it looked fine, prolly cos I'd been NW1.5-2 from the ages of 19-24. It was so thick I had to ask the barber to thin it out everytime I got a haircut ffs! This last year I've lost so much density behind the temples and it makes so much difference, much more than the recession of the temple lines themselves. When I get a transplant it will be to restore a dense NW2 (hopefully) rather than a less dense NW0-1. Those hairlines look unnatural at 50+ imo as well.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
This pretty much sums up my experience. A year ago I was NW2 with complete density and was very happy with it, it looked fine, prolly cos I'd been NW1.5-2 from the ages of 19-24. It was so thick I had to ask the barber to thin it out everytime I got a haircut ffs! This last year I've lost so much density behind the temples and it makes so much difference, much more than the recession of the temple lines themselves. When I get a transplant it will be to restore a dense NW2 (hopefully) rather than a less dense NW0-1. Those hairlines look unnatural at 50+ imo as well.

In my early to mid 20s as a Norwood 1-1.5 my hair was super thick. I had the same experience as you with the barber. He would thin it out, especially as the spiky look was in fashion then. I would then put on "wet look" gel.

Now that spiky is out of fashion it's a different story, my hair remains thick though except frontal loss. I am with you on Norwood 0-1 being unreasonable. Luckily my forehead is not big or high prior to hair loss so that helps too.

I will choose a Norwood 2 or recently been thinking of a genuine mature hairline. It gives away at the corners. My temple points are okay but I am planning on doing the area above them so there isn't a wide forehead look. I will leave it to the surgeon to decide which frames my face better. Both look pretty good and allow to age gracefully.

Density is zero compromise issue though.

My gf has been with me since I was Norwood 1 back in the day to now. She didn't notice my Norwood 2.5 and loss of hair just above temple points. I showed her both pictures, she now gets it. Her response was "all I can see is a sea of black hair so wouldn't worry yet" but she gets the fact a transplant would free up styling more. I saw one of her old notes she left in my book when we first met which was basically describing she likes seeing my hair sticking out of bed when she wakes up before me or the "long baby messy hair" as she puts it.

The future salt and pepper look is the dream. To pull off this you need a youthful face, good skin and aesthetics. Jose Mourinho looks good and many girls like him. Chelsea's position may help get him more salt! He could actually dye it as he looks young but I think the natural look helps. The type of genetics I have, my skin will remain good with a healthy slightly yellow glow. Hair is the issue that I need to be wary of.

cJose-Mourinho_topdrawersoccerdotcom.jpg

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
w2lffp.jpg

Judge-Napolitano-headshot.jpg

Think Shookwun was spot on. Forehead is key generally. You need to divide your face into 1/3s ideally. You want balance between the top part, middle and lower part. Surgeons will/should know. A mature hairline is like a Norwood 1.5, think that looks more natural and masculine.

TransientHair

Established Member
Reaction score
NW1 is almost always better imo. The only times when that isn't the case is when you have an extremely low hairline.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
See Steven Gerrard for the lowest of natural hairlines.

gerrard_before.jpg

15 years later

Steven-Gerrard01014.jpg

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
See Steven Gerrard for the lowest of natural hairlines.

View attachment 35483

15 years later

View attachment 35484

How about professional footballer Oliver Norwood, I think he has perfect Norwood 1 hair. His hairline isn't too high or too low, not quite as low as Steven Gerrard's hairline.

Here's a picture of Oliver Norwood below:

oliver-norwood-090810016.jpg

Here's a picture of Oliver Norwood below playing football:

Norwood_2748642.jpg

Here's another picture below of Oliver Norwood, with the front of his hairline shaved off a little bit to give the look of having a 'mature' hairline:

norwood4by3154-1851481_478x359.jpg

--------

Genetics truly is something so interesting. Some are destined to lose hair, some aren't. Hair loss is one of those things which taught me that nothing is ever guaranteed in life.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have heard people call Zidane a slaphead since school days.