I Found Out Ru Was Probably Working The Hard Way

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Like many of you, I have long been critical of RU. I never was really sure if I was benefiting from it and the results never seemed like they were worth the added brain fog and decreased libido.

I have been on RU for maybe 3 years now and at 80mg twice a day for about a year. No regrowth but I have been maintaining, especially in the last few months. Well, after being incredibly good at maintaining my protocol for months, I screwed up managing my stock of RU and ran out. I then had issues with the new shipment and didn't use RU for about 3 weeks.

Let me tell you....I am paying for my mistake heavily. Maybe it is because the RU was working. Maybe it's just because it increased receptor sensitivity. I have always been one of those forum members that told people it was uncommon to shed quickly. Hair that falls out has generally been dead for a month right? However, I am now a believer.

I lost a ton of density in 3 weeks and had such terrible scalp itch that I sometimes couldn't stand to be at work. This is all while still taking finasteride, OC, Keto, Stem, minoxidil, Tempol, others. Only Keto would temporarily relieve the itch. I have been back on RU for 3 days and already the itch is non existent. Density is still crap but hopefully it improves. I don't want to be a slave to RU but I am going to be too afraid to drop it for a while now.

el_duterino

Reaction score
80mg twice a day is way too much that will give you side effects especially since you are still using finasteride

RU is for maintenance its like brushing teeth dont dont do it 15 times a day!

Did the finasteride alone not work or what ?

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow, your story is exactly what I do experience at the moment. I'm on 100mg RU every day since 2014 and always thought it's not doing much but at least I could stop my loss during this time more or less. 6 or 7 weeks ago I had problems with the supplier and couldn't use RU for these 6 weeks. I got a massive shedding 2 weeks ago and I'm losing maybe 1000 hair per day. I have literally no hair anymore. It's unbelievable for me what's going in. I'm using RU again and I hope my hair is growing back vut I dontd believe it to be honest. What have I done?

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The trend just keeps repeating itself. I start to think more and more that one of the main causes of hairloss is scalp calcification and fibrosis. It Just doesnt make sense that some people on anti androgens dont see any results and now you guys report massive shedding after an abrupt stop of DHt blocking.
Also find it interesting that Alex is on Finasteride (supposed blocking dht) but it was RU that, apparently, hold your hairloss still. Unlike finasteride and Duta, Ru does not affect the production of DHT, instead it binds to the androgen receptorsand blocks them from interacting with DHT. Talking about in results of hair, it promotes more hair re-growth But the real advantage is the lack of systemic side effects (doesnt stop production of dht, hence why when you stop taking it, the DHT is all there ready to attack!).
What I question tho, is if the fact of itself being a topical isn't yet another great booster to it's effectiveness when comparing taking finasteride/duta, orally.
Probably not because we here all have at least one googled for "Topical dutasteride results" and found Nothing.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm on Finasteride too. But it can't replace RU for me obviously.

dr75

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people on this forum would be surprised by the amount of hair lost upon stopping a succesful antiandrogenic treatment. It is possible to go from nw1 to nw5 in 2 months.

el_duterino

Reaction score
Everyone only talks about DHT but if you look I to the latest papers on replicel and the late research obviously it has become clear that testosterone is also having an effect on male pattern baldness especially with a lack of DHT while using finasteride

If you want to halt hair loss you also need to block T and finasteride/dutasteride don't - in fact those raise T

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everyone only talks about DHT but if you look I to the latest papers on replicel and the late research obviously it has become clear that testosterone is also having an effect on male pattern baldness especially with a lack of DHT while using finasteride

If you want to halt hair loss you also need to block T and finasteride/dutasteride don't - in fact those raise T

If you have a link to the studies or the abstracts it would be really appreciated.

I remember an in vitro study but it was really long ago

BTW i agree that testosterone alone is harmful for hair

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What do you think guys? Will my loss stop and will I get back what I lost over over the last 2 weeks? I will start RU again today.

el_duterino

Reaction score
I think that you should not rely soley on anti androgen
Add minoxidil and stemoxydine this will help hair getting stronger overall so that any increase of androgen will be less damaging - during the short term at least
And MSM supplement as well

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
80mg twice a day is way too much that will give you side effects especially since you are still using finasteride

RU is for maintenance its like brushing teeth dont dont do it 15 times a day!

Did the finasteride alone not work or what ?
finasteride helped me maintain (other than the hairline) for almost a decade. I think my hairline is extremely sensitive to increased testosterone.

As for RU - I started off at 50mg in stem once a day at night. I saw positive results but I would always get terrible scalp itch the next afternoon. I upped the dosage to 80mg and saw some improvement. At 80mg twice a day the itch went away completely. I understand itch does not necessarily equal balding but it was driving me insane.

Obviously, the side effects increased as well. I might try to do 80mg RU at night and something like Zix in the am instead. I have doubts about Zix but I will test it out.

On a side note, I have been reading your posts for at least a decade and they always been helpful. Thank you.

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, your story is exactly what I do experience at the moment. I'm on 100mg RU every day since 2014 and always thought it's not doing much but at least I could stop my loss during this time more or less. 6 or 7 weeks ago I had problems with the supplier and couldn't use RU for these 6 weeks. I got a massive shedding 2 weeks ago and I'm losing maybe 1000 hair per day. I have literally no hair anymore. It's unbelievable for me what's going in. I'm using RU again and I hope my hair is growing back vut I dontd believe it to be honest. What have I done?
Hang in there buddy. At least now we know.

el_duterino

Reaction score
finasteride helped me maintain (other than the hairline) for almost a decade. I think my hairline is extremely sensitive to increased testosterone.

As for RU - I started off at 50mg in stem once a day at night. I saw positive results but I would always get terrible scalp itch the next afternoon. I upped the dosage to 80mg and saw some improvement. At 80mg twice a day the itch went away completely. I understand itch does not necessarily equal balding but it was driving me insane.

Obviously, the side effects increased as well. I might try to do 80mg RU at night and something like Zix in the am instead. I have doubts about Zix but I will test it out.

On a side note, I have been reading your posts for at least a decade and they always been helpful. Thank you.

Good stuff
Happy to hear my posts were useful

Maybe trying CB instead of RU would be worth the try if you respond well to RU then CB will also work, with l as sides maybe it does dissolve in neogenic maybe a bit slower than RU but works fine too

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that you should not rely soley on anti androgen
Add minoxidil and stemoxydine this will help hair getting stronger overall so that any increase of androgen will be less damaging - during the short term at least
And MSM supplement as well
MSM supplement?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never thought it could get this bad this fast. It’s thin at the vertex and crown as well.

This is two year to the day from perfect hair long wavy black with zero thinning. Most lingual thing I could have imagined.

Is there any chance this recovers and I stay healthy?

Attachments

• 73D1AD5E-B8A1-4DA6-B2E1-E9B0A66589CF.jpeg
    73D1AD5E-B8A1-4DA6-B2E1-E9B0A66589CF.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 462
  • D63AB054-AA32-47F7-8155-DF996CA483E3.jpeg
    D63AB054-AA32-47F7-8155-DF996CA483E3.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 442

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I never thought it could get this bad this fast. It’s thin at the vertex and crown as well.

This is two year to the day from perfect hair long wavy black with zero thinning. Most lingual thing I could have imagined.

Is there any chance this recovers and I stay healthy?
I would seriously try topical finasteride. The amount that will get systemically absorbed is going to be very minimal.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have to do something. I hate myself for waiting. Things were still solid even in the fall. Since January it’s been like something set it all on fire. Any thoughts on topical Dutasteride? What should I expect? Based on all of my other attempts, Minoxidil and RU it’s been huge shed, some slow down, no regrowth.