How to support a partner with hair loss?

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
so are you a great girl or a great guy anyway?

fall3n

Reaction score
The girl is in fact a girl. :p

To be honest, I'm a little confused after posting here. I don't perceive male hair loss as an issue, but so many of you just seem really... well, bitter. It worries me that perhaps my boyfriend might feel like that too, sometimes. I didn't realise just how upsetting this problem was for some people. Thank you all for giving me an insight into this. I've found it really helpful.

He has been making more and more throw away comments lately that have alluded to the fact he's a bit insecure about his hair loss, and I think perhaps he's working his way up to coming out with the issue. So I'll take the advice of the general consensus and just wait for him to properly bring it up before saying anything specifically about his hair. At the moment, I've settled for more general reassurance. When the time is right, hopefully I'll be able to handle things well, based on the insights you've given me, and on how well I know him.

Can I just say that I honestly don't think I'm unique in not caring about hair loss in the opposite gender..? You all seem to be a touch incredulous that a girl could love a guy who's going bald and not care about his hair loss, but there's no reason to be. Out of all the qualities we look for in a potential love match, hair really doesn't figure.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
its not about hair its about looks, and most people look better with their hair

s.a.f

Reaction score
Fall3n imagine how you would feel if you were suddenly hit by a condition that the majority of other woman did'nt have to deal with, one that caused you're looks to deteriorate prematurly and there was very little you could do about it.

blondeguy

Established Member
Reaction score
fall3n said:
The girl is in fact a girl. :p

To be honest, I'm a little confused after posting here. I don't perceive male hair loss as an issue, but so many of you just seem really... well, bitter. It worries me that perhaps my boyfriend might feel like that too, sometimes. I didn't realise just how upsetting this problem was for some people. Thank you all for giving me an insight into this. I've found it really helpful.

To many men, losing hair is losing their self-identity, and that is a vulnerable feeling. And no matter how many times you tell them that women really don't perceive it as an issue, they won't believe you.

He has been making more and more throw away comments lately that have alluded to the fact he's a bit insecure about his hair loss, and I think perhaps he's working his way up to coming out with the issue. So I'll take the advice of the general consensus and just wait for him to properly bring it up before saying anything specifically about his hair. At the moment, I've settled for more general reassurance. When the time is right, hopefully I'll be able to handle things well, based on the insights you've given me, and on how well I know him.

I can only speak for myself and not your boyfriend, but if I had an insecurity weighing on my mind but wasn't letting it out, it would mean I was afraid to talk about it. Perhaps he's afraid to feel inadequate in front of you. I suggest bringing it up--tell him you came across an insecure hair loss forum one day or something. :) Casually assure him it's not an issue to you, but don't make it a big deal (because it's not). Just mention it and move on. He'll feel so much better knowing he has your support, and he can get it off his mind and not live with that fear.

Can I just say that I honestly don't think I'm unique in not caring about hair loss in the opposite gender..? You all seem to be a touch incredulous that a girl could love a guy who's going bald and not care about his hair loss, but there's no reason to be. Out of all the qualities we look for in a potential love match, hair really doesn't figure.

My dear, I've been telling them this for weeks to no avail. :p Some guys won't let go.

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The thing is that hairloss makes you look ugly. I know girls will not look at you like a freak, but in the case of a young man who is losing his hair a girl his age will probably call him "sir", and ask for the time. She will think he is old. And that is just devastating.

blondeguy

Established Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that no matter how many times that is disproved, including by direct testimony from a girl above, some of you will continue to make yourselves miserable.

G

blondeguy, i understand now , why you dont have any problems with your hairloss. you are happy with what you got. period.

i wonder how you get to this point. maybe you can tell me more about it?

blondeguy

Established Member
Reaction score
neo1234 said:
blondeguy, i understand now , why you dont have any problems with your hairloss. you are happy with what you got. period.

i wonder how you get to this point. maybe you can tell me more about it?

Well, the way I got to it is obvious from my picture. :)

I found out women don't care about male hair loss. It's all about looking groomed (which might entail a buzzed or shaved head) and being unique and headstrong. People shouldn't worry so much about something that women don't give much thought to. I know it's easier said than done, and everyone has to get to that point in their own way. Frankly, several women encouraged me to shave because "shaved guys are hot."

sashi-s

Reaction score
Hi,

First I would like to really appreciate your feelings towards your partner. It's great that you like him because of him and not other external reasons. I also have a hair loss problem and it's great to get support from your partner. I guess you just have to make him realize that you are there for him always.

sashi

s.a.f

Reaction score
Look even if shaving my head would get me tons of female attention (which by the way it wont !, quite the opposite in my experience!) I still dont want to do it, the simple fact is thats not how I want to look.
When I'm in a group of people I dont want my big shiney dome to stick out like a beacon.
Recently someone who had'nt seen me in years and remembered me with a shaved head said "I'm glad you've grown your hair now I used to think you looked like some kind of Nazi thug".

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
The fact is that a bald head can suit some people but not everyone! At the end of the day its the face thats important and if you have a good face then your hair shouldn't be a problem! Look at Freddy Lungberg (Arsenal football player) he has got bald head and women go crazy over him! Why? Because he has got a nice face!

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I am starting to live with this hairloss problem! I ain't going to let this get me down or stop me from living my life! If a girl doesn't like me because of my hairloss then she can go and f*ck herself because there is plenty of women that is ineterested! Just keep the faith!

s.a.f

Reaction score
Freddie Lungberg is'nt bald he's a NW3 at most and so can buzz his hair (not shave) to a grade 1/2 and still have visible stubble to frame his face. If he was a NW4/5/6 with a shiney dome he would'nt look so good. Although he is much more blessed in the looks dept than the average guy which also helps.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have more hair now then when I started dating my wife.. I'm loving it. I am doing it for me.

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
roki said:
if i was him i would rather if you wont bring it up
on the other hand if i was him i would bring it up myself ,in that case tell him you still find him attractive that's all
you said it bothers him try to makke him aware of this site somehow
but better not tell him about it in away that itll look like you think it needs to be fixed

why suggest this site? it's for people who are very concerned at fixing hairloss. if the partner tells him it's ok he very well may move on and not have a 2nd thought about it.

u do realize there are tons of happy balding men out there who don't give a sh*t about losing their hair...regardless of what many think here (that everyone is miserable with hair loss and they just don't admit it).

i for one can care less about my thinning hair. im happily married to a hot chick that's into me for my confidance, personality, and looks. im only on this site as it's interesting posts on how ppl view themselves and the things/regimans they go thru.

[/quote]

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sly blonde guy is just trolling for traffic for his site. personally i think the smooth shaved look looks weird on just about everybody including black guys. At least leave some stubble.

blondeguy

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not my site, and I'm not trolling. Some folks are so hostile to a guy suggesting not being afraid of thinning hair.

G

blondeguy, i have a question. my hair is thickening rapidly and i'm not sure what to do about it. in fact just yesterday my mother remarked to me that my hair looks a lot thicker. i feel kinda self conscious about it and i'm afraid that people can notice. should i just shave it off to hide it?

MAVERICKARROGANCE

Reaction score
HOW PRECIOUS TO BE SUPPORTING!!

THAT IS WONDERFUL THAT YOU'VE CHOSEN TO BE INTERESTED IN HIM REGARDLESSOF HIS HAIRLOSS!! STILL FINDING HIM ATTRACTIVE IS A BLESSING INDEED!! MY DAD REGREW HIS HAIR NATURALLY AND SO CAN HE. I KNOW IT AFFECTED MY FATHER'S SELF ESTEEM EVERDAY. IF YOU DESIRE TO ULTIMATE SUPPORT TELL HIM TO EMAIL ME AND I'LL GIVE HIM THE DETAILS. ***1@YAHOO.COM THIS CHANGED MY DAD'S LIFE AND IT CAN DO THE SAME FOR YOUR PARTNER. YOU'RE VERY KIND TO CARE!! NOT EVERYONE IS THIS POSITIVE. TAKE CARE HAVE A CONTENT AND STELLAR WEEKEND!! =)