How to deal with side effects from Propecia

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: How to deal with side effects from finasteride

so i followed enden's advice to take about 30-40mg of zinc everyday. noticed my hair is very thin and limpy after a couple of hours after ingesting zinc. the sexual side effects from finasteride are gone though.

Ende

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. How much finasteride are you using, and how long have you been using?

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score

been on and off over the past 3 years, went on a full year of finasteride, where i almost had full regrowth, but had to stop due to sides. i feel finasteride does effect my business decisions so i had to quit. since this new year, i have been off finasteride, noticing hair is getting itchy already. will be buying RU in the next few weeks.

i am wondering if avodart is less sides?

Ende

Reaction score

Hell no, Avodart would be a disaster compared to Propecia. Dutasteride inhibits both 5AR type 1 and 2 (finasteride; type 2 only). It reduces the serum concentration of DHT by more than 90% (finasteride; 60-70%), and it has a half life of 5 weeks!! (finasteride; 6 hours)

Ende

Reaction score

I've added a note about hyperthyriodism.

smokey1212

Reaction score

Hi guys. Here is my story I hope you can help.

I am 25 and have been losing my hair for the last 5 years or so. Way too soon considering my dad lost his around 35. To manage, I started using rogaine about 1.5 years ago, and only recently started using it twice a day.

I took generic propecia about 1 year ago for about 1 week and had reduced libido and ED so I stopped. Then I got an FUT procedure in July by Dr. Rossanelli n San Francisco. He told me to start taking Propecia again. I told him about the side effects I got so he told me about his weening procedure in which I was to take one pill every week for the first month, 2 pills a week the next month, one every other day the next month, and finally one every day from the next month forward. He told me to move one month's regimen back if I started to feel sides.

So I did as told. I made it one pill every day in October and didn't think I felt any sides. Ran out of the 90 pill Propecia bottle somewhere in late December, and then moved to to taking generic Propecia (Finnestride) for the next 15 days or so. So in total I took about 100 pills. It was somewhere in those last 15 days that I started dating a girl and realized that the sides had crept up on me, and I once again had low libido and weak erections and reduced sized genitalia. So I immediately stopped taking it (had to break up with the girl) on around January 12th.

Since stopping, the genitalia has returned to normal size, and the erection is getting a bit stronger. However, my libido is still quite low. I don't get spontaneous erections anymore, I have to "force" myself to masturbate when before I would want to do it almost daily, I only get aroused while watching p**rn, and I have little sex drive.

It's been three weeks and I'm very worried that I will not return to normal. Should I begin to take zinc as I read on this thread was suggested? I think I saw 20mg-30mg per day. Also, I should add that during the middle 3 of the 6 months I was taking Propecia I was working out a lot, and took about 1.5 grams Kre-alkylym (creatine monohydrate). Should I start taking this again?

Please anyone who could help, I would be so appreciative. I just want to get back to normal. I will never take Propecia again, and just stick to Rogain and Nizoral. I'd much rather have sex drive than hair.

Thanks so much.

Ende

Reaction score

The original advice was to take 50 - 100 mg zinc picolinate a day. It's recommended by Dr. Shippen to shift the testosterone/estrogen ratio in favor of testosterone. You can try 50 mg a day for a couple of weeks and see if it helps, but the sexual side effects from finasteride isn't managable because of DHT deficiency. I suggest looking into RU58841. It's a superior drug. No systemic side effects at the correct dose.

The dopamine/prolactin ratio has a lot to do with sexual arousal, pleasure during orgasm and the refraction period. Increased prolactin level affects them all negatively. If you've noticed any changes, I suggest taking 0.25 mg cabergoline, twice a week for a month, to deplete the prolactin level. This has no negative consequences.

Creatine monohydrate might help, since a loading phase with 25g a day for a week has shown to increase the DHT level by more than 50%.

smokey1212

Reaction score

Thanks for the response Enden. I will definitely look into the RU58841 drug as soon as I get well again. However, for now my main goal is to rid myself of these sides.

I would rather not have to go into more drugs such as Cabergoline until I necessarily have to. The Propecia actually scared me that much. So for now I think I will try taking about 50 mg zinc per day for 2 weeks and take 25mg DHT per day for a week and hopefully that works.

I will come back if it doesn't work. I can't thank you enough for your help.

Ende

Reaction score

DO NOT use Proviron.
It's an experimental treatment for the "post finasteride syndrome".

smokey1212

Reaction score

Sorry, I meant I would take 25mg of creatine for a week. Not DHT. And yes definitely not looking to try proviron.

sandyc

Established Member
Reaction score

I take 50mg of zinc every other day and I don't take finasteride (but plan to) could this much zinc be bad for my hair?

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score

what about ball zinger?
i think is a crap\placebo, but i never tested it
ur opinions?

Ende

Reaction score

Your HPTA and penile muscles are the problem. A penis ring won't solve that. Fix your testosterone/estrogen ratio and do kegel exercises.

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score

Enden said:
Fix your testosterone/estrogen ratio

sob, is more easy to say than to get it

Ende

Reaction score

Yes, it's sometimes very difficult to obtain and maintain a proper T/E ratio, but that's what you have to do.

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score

sooo, has anyone been able to permanently reverse their side effects? Adding zinc helped a difference at first but now im right back where I started.

Ende

Reaction score

There are at least a couple of recovery stories involving Arimidex.

We're able to reverse the side effects with Proviron treatment, but I don't know if it's possible to maintain the result like I've proposed, on the first page. I quit treatment in fear of hair loss, Joe quit after 7 days. Monty tried to maintain the results, but crashed - probably because he didn't stop using large amounts of zinc. Arimidex is probably more appropriate, as it will suppress the estrogen level, and increase the DHT- and testosterone level. Dostinex should be used too, no matter what treatment you choose.

I'm at the last stage of my planned recovery process. Monty has an appointment with an endocrinologist soon, so you should definitely keep an eye on his progress.

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score

I was actually browsing the propeciahelp board for the first time last night....surprisingly there were alot of recovery stories on there. Seemed like the number 1 factor in recovery for these guys was just time. Some guys I was reading took like 5 years to be back to normal, but its still comforting to know.