How much has hair loss affected your looks? (Pics)

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Before my hair loss became noticeable I would often receive compliments about the way I looked. In high school and college I had lots of very good looking girls interested in me. However, that started to change during my time at university when my hairline receded to a far enough level to make it stand out. Instead of getting interest from really good looking girls it was now the average ones, and sometimes, even the really overweight ones.

Now that my hair on top has also started to show signs of thinning I have buzzed my hair to a grade 1. This has worked well for me and I am enjoying it, but I wondered how much better I'd look if I had a full head of hair. I decided to post a few pictures of myself on the internet to find out. I basically asked women for honest opinions about my looks. I found that in the visible hair loss pictures (the buzzcut) they would say I looked 'average' or 'ok'. However, in pictures of me wearing a hat the answers were usually 'good looking', 'cute' or 'handsome'.

Now that I'm pretty sure hair loss has affected my looks quite a bit, how much do you think it has changed your appearance? Do you now consider yourself ugly or average compared to what you looked like with hair? Can hair loss really have that much of an impact on someone's attractiveness?

Hat2.jpg
Nohat2.jpg

ali777

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with being average.... I spent my whole life trying to be average. I'll be happy to be able to afford an average house and an average car, live till 75 or whatever the average life expectancy is...

If you keep your expectations too high you might go through life feeling the pressure and being miserable. I always had high expectations and I still do, but you should learn to appreciate little things in life as well.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Imo, you look better without the hat as you still have a good amount of hair covering your head. Btw, you look better with it buzzed short and a little facial hair...it makes you look more masculine. In my case I know for a fact that loosing my hair has depreciated my looks dramatically. As anything relating with beauty it is all a matter of proportion. Now that my hairline is non existent and my forehead extends to the back of my head, it throws my facial proportions way out of whack. Also, with no hair on top to frame my face it just looks unsettling. There was a study conducted where a group of people were shown a series of pictures with and without frames and asked which version they preferred and why. An overwhelming majority chose the framed pictures as it gave them a feeling of permanence and stability. The same rules apply to our faces. This is why I feel most people find bald guys aesthetically unappealing. To prove this point I could photoshop you into an nw6 and show the pictures side by side. Then you will truly realize how dramatically going completely bald changes your appearance for the worse.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Nice pics, prefer hatless.

Big eyes, face looks proportioned, nice bone structure.

Nothing to worry about at all matey, short / shaved hair suits you and you're rather good looking :)

It also depends of the age group of girls you're asking, kids will prefer the hat, more mature women would quite like the more mature hairline (though obviously this will change from person to person and not apply to Brandon Fraser hehe).

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
There you have it, or don't have it as the case may be. You see what I mean now though right? Now try putting that "after" pic on your MySpace or FaceBook account and ask the ladies what they think of you then. I'm assuming the responses would be pretty negative. That was fun. Anyone else want to contribute a photo I can alter....GHG...Dario...Barcafan? :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Nohat2.jpg
    Nohat2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 560

emex4

Established Member
Reaction score
the only thing that looks bad about that photo is the alterations you did. it looks unnatural.

if he was naturally bald on top he would look fine. even with the hair that long on the sides.

its all about how you present yourself and the confidence you display.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of pics of me with and without hair. UCman, feel free to manipulate.

hair-1.jpg
bald-1.jpg

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the person.

If you're good looking, hair or not isn't going to affect your looks too much. Calum Best looks great for example when his hair's buzzed off due to the shape of his head.

Jude Law on the other hand doesn't really have the right shaped head for it in my opinion. He's still good looking, but doesn't hold his looks as well as Best.

The biggest thing is how you cope with it, if you don't let it affect your personality. I know loads of bald guys who have gorgeous girlfriends, simply because they didn't let it get them down/knock their confidence.

Dan_NW2

Reaction score
Welcome to the shaved head world! Suits you well. Youll find that it's a very comfortable and very in style looke that I've been sporting for years based on my baldness. Especially like it when that cool morning air brushes over my scalp.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I like the new bald picture. I have asked people on Yahoo Answers to rate my looks from 1 to 10 with it. If you're interested in seeing the answers you can look here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 310AAbXDEP Edit: The question was deleted for some reason. Maybe because it looked a bit fake.

uncomfortable man said:
There you have it, or don't have it as the case may be. You see what I mean now though right? Now try putting that "after" pic on your MySpace or FaceBook account and ask the ladies what they think of you then. I'm assuming the responses would be pretty negative. That was fun. Anyone else want to contribute a photo I can alter....GHG...Dario...Barcafan? :mrgreen:

emex4

Established Member
Reaction score
ok, i figured out your first problem dude.

dont post pictures on yahoo answers looking for opinions! if you read that site for any amount of time, you will see that it is dominated by young teenage girls. unless thats who you're trying to attract, id stop posting pictures on yahoo answers.

just go look randomly on the site for questions where people ask: "am i good looking?" and you will see that its all little girls.

little girls are more into that faggy emo hair.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
emex4 said:

dont post pictures on yahoo answers looking for opinions! if you read that site for any amount of time, you will see that it is dominated by young teenage girls. unless thats who you're trying to attract, id stop posting pictures on yahoo answers.

just go look randomly on the site for questions where people ask: "am i good looking?" and you will see that its all little girls.

Thanks for the heads up. I figured it would have a good mixture of different people, but I guess not. Are there any similar websites with a more adult crowd?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I realize it doesn't look too realistic but what do you expect from a rushed photoshop job. :dunno: It does give you a good idea how you would look like that though imo. Also, Norsk, I agree with Cassin that you look cool in the second picture. You seem like someone I would want to hang out with. Not :gay:

Dario

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey UM, alter my pics...you have them somewhere in "my story" section.

wait....

here it is:
img0994qu3.jpg

Be gentle! :mrgreen:

Dario

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Norsk you look better with short hair...much better in fact.
That facial hairs suits you...

Dario

Established Member
Reaction score
emex4 said:

X
Imagine that one morning you wake up looking like this:
Emoboy333.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dan_NW2

Reaction score
Dario said:
Hey UM, alter my pics...you have them somewhere in "my story" section.

wait....

here it is:
img0994qu3.jpg

Be gentle! :mrgreen:

Dario..now see! that buzzed cut wears good on you.