How Do You Think This Hair Piece Looks?

flannelw

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been wearing this stock 1B piece for a couple of weeks so that I can get used to the attachment, care, and removal of it before my custom system comes in. It should be here by the end of April (hopefully). When I first got this one, the color looked way too dark compared to my bio hair. After washing it a few times and wearing it, it has lightened up some, but it is still slightly off. I was just wondering what your opinions are on how it looks. I still wear a cap when out in public and at work because I think the color difference, difference, and the blend is too noticeable. Overall, what do you all think? Does it look okay?

Attachments

• System.jpg
    System.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,027
  • System2.jpg
    System2.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,023
  • System3.jpg
    System3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 990

flannelw

My Regimen
Reaction score
See, that's what I thought. In a previous thread I asked about my temple points and everyone said they looked fine. That's one of the main reasons I'm going for a high fade style when my custom systems come in.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry man, looks kinda bad. But you are aware of the reasons why and that's good, it will make it easier for you to get great results. You should also consider growing your hair out a bit more and get an under-cut with slightly longer hair on top. Works best with thin sides.

flannelw

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I know it's far from being great and nowhere near acceptable for wear in public. When I contacted the company about ordering a stock system so I could learn the ins and outs of it, and he said that my hair sample was close to a 1B, I didn't believe him. I was thinking a 4 or 5. But, I took his advice. I wish I trusted my gut instead. But, when I ordered it, I had no desire to wear the stock one in public anyway, so I'm good there. Now I'm scared to death to see what the color of my custom unit is.

Last edited:

Wispy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try playing with the hair over the temples more, maybe, for a stop gap measure? They're a bit too flat and glued to your skin. People do lose some of their temple hair, so maybe it could be pulled off? It will make you look older, but IMO it's the crown that matters the most, not the temples, unless you really want a youthful look.

flannelw

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try playing with the hair over the temples more, maybe, for a stop gap measure? They're a bit too flat and glued to your skin. People do lose some of their temple hair, so maybe it could be pulled off? It will make you look older, but IMO it's the crown that matters the most, not the temples, unless you really want a youthful look.
Could you elaborate more? I'm not exactly sure what you're suggesting. Sorry.

Noah

Reaction score
IMG_1624.JPG

Those first comments are nonsense, and I'm willing to bet the authors don't wear a piece or know anything about them. Your temple points (in red) are exactly where they should be, and look exactly what they should look like. You haven't suffered any recession of the temples at all. You are very fortunate in that respect.

This is actually not bad for a first piece and a stock unit. 95% of the population wouldn't give it a second glance if they saw it. However, there are 2 problems with it. The bigger problem is that it is too small, at least for the current state of your sidehair and this cut. There is an area below the piece on each side (in blue) where your thinning sides are showing through, and look slightly odd beside the thicker glossier hair of the piece. There are 3 solutions: (1) it may cure itself as your sides thicken up (and in the meantime you could use a bit of Toppik on those thin areas); (2) you could make the piece bigger next time, so that it comes about an inch further down the sides of your head; or (3) you could take some of the density out of the hairpiece at the sides, so that there is less contrast of densities - more like an undercut style. Any of those will work. The lesser problem is that the hairpiece hair looks very glossy and healthy by comparison with your natural side hair. I think probably if you sort it the thin patches (problem 1) then problem 2 will not be noticeable. Again, an undercut style would alleviate the issue.

Aside from that it's a pretty good colour match and a decent haircut. I think if you put a bit of Toppik on your thin patches there is no reason why this is not good enough to wear publicly. I would encourage you to drive to a shopping mall a decent distance from home (so you're not concerned with bumping into people you know) and give the piece an outing - browse the shops, have a beer, talk to a few people, and just experience the fact that they're not looking at your hair.

And don't believe every ignorant naysayer you happen to encounter - there are plenty of them to be had on this board unfortunately.

Noah

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Posting a pic of anyone wearing a system will get biased replies as we know you are wearing and immediately look for the faults. The vast majority of people you come into contact with have no idea. Not a bad first effort!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I recall seeing your posted "before pics", and given your thin sides, I knew was going to be a tough go of it, but I think this is not bad for a stock piece. Firstly, the color, in the pics, is good, it matches your bio hair very well. That, in itself, is a HUGE help.

I agree with Noah, an undercut will clear up your issues... I know that you want a more "conservative" look, but that will be the most natural, until your custom unit comes in.

Thanks for posting!

I think, overall, you look good.

flannelw

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. This morning I used Toppik on my sides and temples and focused a while on getting it all to blend in better. I think it looks better. What do you all think? The system hair is cut too short on one side, so I can't get it to blend into my bio hair very well.

Attachments

• SystemToppik1.jpg
    SystemToppik1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 597
  • SystemToppik2.jpg
    SystemToppik2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 647

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually thought the piece looked fantastic and very authentic. I have strange hair loss with wispy temple points but thick hair on top so looking at your pics looks like I'm looking at myself. Great piece friend!

n1zza77

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the piece looks good, Maybe brush your sides more so they match with your hair better.
This is definitely fine in public. People will have zero clue that it is a piece.

Noah

Reaction score
Yes, better. You could go even heavier on the Toppik on the two thin patches, or even use a mascara brush. But you could wear this in public now.

flannelw

My Regimen
Reaction score
So last night I took out the blending shears again and did some adjustments on the sides. And this morning I took a little more time to do the suggestions everyone said. And today I took a huge leap and risk and went to work without a hat on; the first time in 10 years. So far, I've got nothing but compliments on how my hair looks. "I didn't recognize you at first." "Wow I didn't realize you had hair. I just figured you were bald. Looks good." And my favorite, "Dang it. I wish I had a hairline like your's." (coming from a young balding guy in his early 20) Here are some pictures of when I got to work this morning. There's still some tweaking I have to do, especially on my left side, but I think most of those issues will correct themselves as my bio hair grows out more. I think my "rug" is ready to meet the public.

Attachments

• Point Blur_Apr152018_082420.jpg
    Point Blur_Apr152018_082420.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 606
  • Point Blur_Apr152018_082446.jpg
    Point Blur_Apr152018_082446.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 554

flannelw

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm happy now with how it looks. Can't wait for my custom ones to come in. Losing your hair in your late teens sucks. And now in my 20s, I'm happier with my appearance now than I have been in years.