How Come Nizoral/ketoconazole Isn't More Popular?

TomRiddle

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think scalp thickness plays a role for SOME..I know I have a thin scalp...also I went without nizoral for a while and decided to try it again recently. I felt ok and then tried it again a week later and the fatigue and mental cloudiness sides came back.

2% or 1%? I really think that 1% is enough and with the minimum possibility of systemic absorption.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think scalp thickness plays a role for SOME..I know I have a thin scalp...also I went without nizoral for a while and decided to try it again recently. I felt ok and then tried it again a week later and the fatigue and mental cloudiness sides came back.

Similar camp here, most substances I apply topically go systemic for me - might as well be eating the damn things it makes very little difference.

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Having skimmed those abstracts, all they say is that it's an anti-inflammatory, not that that's it's mechanism for fighting hair loss.

The study pegasus linked to on the previous page shows that it's an effective hair loss treatment and that it inhibits test turning into DHT

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/dth.13202

"In addition, ketoconazole blocks testosterone synthesis, thus decreasing DHT, and further supporting the theoretical role of ketoconazole in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia (Pont, Williams, Azhar, et al., 1982)."

ALthough they also say this:

"Ketoconazole increased the ratio of hair regrowth to denuded area in both murine studies. This raises the possibility of a non‐androgenetic role of ketoconazole in hair regrowth. This could be due to anti‐inflammatory properties of ketoconazole and/or conversion of follicles out of the telogen resting phase. In Androgenetic Alopecia, hair follicles experience a brief anagen phase of growth and prolonged telogen (resting) phase, causing new hairs to be shorter (Piérard‐Franchimont & Piérard, 2001). However, hair regrowth in individuals using ketoconazole, but without a diagnosis of Androgenetic Alopecia, was not found in human studies. The study by Piérard‐Franchimont et al. (1998) included a control group of age‐matched men without Androgenetic Alopecia. In this group, the pilary index remained unchanged throughout the study regardless of use of ketoconazole or unmedicated shampoo. The reason for this difference between humans and mice is unclear."

First of all he didn't ask me for a study providing evidence that the mechanism for improving hair loss symptoms were due to being anti-inflammatory, just a study showing that it's anti-inflammatory. As you've rightly pointed out a complete picture of its MOA isn't really available, but my argument was that in the form of a shampoo with only a few minutes of contact, anti-androgenic effects are negligible when compared to the anti-inflammatory effects and seb. derm improvement.

Secondly, yes I'm aware that when taken orally in high doses it prevents testosterone production which I've already said. It doesn't however prevent testosterone from converting to DHT as its not an effective 5-ar inhibitor.

I've said nothing to contradict any of the literature out there, it's just that @jamesbooker1975 is a special breed of idiot with zero reading comprehension.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea and I guarantee some of your testosterone levels are dipping from the shampoo. I know mine do...just about everything goes systemic fyi...and if you notice you get more tired a few hours after using nizoral or keto shampoo, guess what is happening ladies and gentlemen??
Nop, it can happen with the topical. Most probable will not happen with the shampoo. But you can simple test yours T levels. Contrary to other anti androgens that only affect the androgen receptor, this one block T synthesis . So you can easily find out.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all he didn't ask me for a study providing evidence that the mechanism for improving hair loss symptoms were due to being anti-inflammatory, just a study showing that it's anti-inflammatory. As you've rightly pointed out a complete picture of its MOA isn't really available, but my argument was that in the form of a shampoo with only a few minutes of contact, anti-androgenic effects are negligible when compared to the anti-inflammatory effects and seb. derm improvement.

Secondly, yes I'm aware that when taken orally in high doses it prevents testosterone production which I've already said. It doesn't however prevent testosterone from converting to DHT as its not an effective 5-ar inhibitor.

I've said nothing to contradict any of the literature out there, it's just that @jamesbooker1975 is a special breed of idiot with zero reading comprehension.
You are not showing any study, just a review of dozen studies, none prove anti inflamatory effect.
Not a single one.

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are not showing any study, just a review of dozen studies, none prove anti inflamatory effect.
Not a single one.
Every single one of those dozen studies shows it as well as the second link which is its own study. Learn to f*****g read I'm done with this. You're the only person on the planet that doesn't think ketoconazole is anti inflammatory.

inmyhead

Reaction score
Mental sides from nizoral shampoo? Ok...

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nop, it can happen with the topical. Most probable will not happen with the shampoo. But you can simple test yours T levels. Contrary to other anti androgens that only affect the androgen receptor, this one block T synthesis . So you can easily find out.

Do you have a source on the claim that keto blocks t synthesis?

jazz1

Reaction score
I still use it, I use these shampoos:

Nizoral
Regenepure DR
Lipogaine BIG3
Revita

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used it for 6 months with Zix. I used the shampoo four times a week, twice everyday Nizoral 2% cream application on the hairline and twice a day Zix on the entire head.

It kept me above baseline (Yes, I even got minor regrowth from it) 6 months then I dropped Nizoral out of laziness and went back to baseline, which turned into below baseline after a while.

Last edited:

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used it for 6 months with Zix. I used the shampoo four times a week, twice everyday Nizoral 2% cream application on the hairline and twice a day Zix on the entire head.

It kept me above baseline (Yes, I even got minor regrowth from it) 6 months then I dropped Nizoral out of laziness and went back to baseline, which turned into below baseline after a while.
Sorry for revive this thread but I've curiosity why you never come back to the nizoral cream since this worked for you?

Jim lahey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2% keto is much better and I actually notice a benefit without it drying out my hair as much. I think nizoral is why keto gets such a bad rap with people saying it dries out your hair prescription keto shampoo is much easier on the scalp in my experience, I still wouldn't say nizoral did more harm than good for me though.

Most of these guys that are complaining of keto drying out their hair also probably take sh*t care of their hair like most men, washing their hair everyday, using shitty shampoos, not using a good conditioner etc. What should be more popular in the hair loss community is taking better care of what hair you have so it looks it's best.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for revive this thread but I've curiosity why you never come back to the nizoral cream since this worked for you?
I now use topical dutasteride only

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thinking about using Nizoral. I can't hop on finasteride or minoxidil right now. My hairloss acelerated brutally in the last weeks, and terrible itching happened a little before.

I actually used a keto shampoo ONCE when I was a teen. I hated it because how sticky it was and how dry it made my hair,

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
those who say keto doesnt work just cant source it from anywhere or cant afford it lol