How Come Nizoral/ketoconazole Isn't More Popular?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A lot of people are reluctant to get on antiandrogens for fear of sides and, from what I've seen, ketoconazole applied topically doesn't have systemic effects, so how come keto isn't a popular alternative to finasteride and so forth? I very rarely see it mentioned on the forum?

Lucky_Luciano

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because its too weak for an antiandrogen but still does in many more harm then good. It dries out your hair and may thin it out. Some use it in addition to their regimens as an anti-inflammary.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have read people have had some success with using topical keto cream on their scalps but i don't know much about it, maybe if your hair loss was very minor it could help but im not so sure tbh. Oral keto is out of the question, im not evens sure if it would work but it's a hardcore drug. Try a combination of cream and shampoo if you want to stick to keto only and see if you get any results, but like i said, i think it would only work if your hair loss was minor.

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score
I use these shampoos:

Nizoral
Regenepure DR
Lipogaine BIG3
Revita

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
I use these shampoos:

Nizoral
Regenepure DR
Lipogaine BIG3
Revita

It seems that Revita in Europe doesn't contain keto, you'll have to order from the US. I recently ordered Regenepure shampoos on Amazon, I can't wait to try it.

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Nizoral 1x week but it dries out your scalp. I've ordered Regenepure from Amazon, reviews are great and I can't wait to try it.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's worth using since it takes no effort, just use it as your normal shampoo 3 times a week. When taken orally it's a very potent anti-androgen, but it can't be used orally due to a poor safety profile. Topically it is safe, and its benefits go well beyond just being an anti-androgen.

The ketoconazole group showed an 18% increase in hair density compared to an 11% increase in hair density for the minoxidil group. The ketoconazole group also demonstrated a 19.4% decrease in the mean sebaceous gland area, which, in contrast, was increased by 5.3% in the minoxidil plus unmedicated shampoo group. Scalp sebaceous glands affected by hair loss bind androgens with greater affinity and capacity than their hairy counterparts.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/dth.13202#

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score
It seems that Revita in Europe doesn't contain keto, you'll have to order from the US. I recently ordered Regenepure shampoos on Amazon, I can't wait to try it.

That’s correct, I managed to buy 925ml bottles from a genuine eBay seller who ships from abroad. Revita is great, but shame they removed the Keto, on the positive note I still use Nizoral so you can always add that to Revita.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Those of you who've bought from the US into Europe, how much did shipping run you and, if you don't mind saying, what country are you from?

resu

Reaction score
If you're having an itch from sebo or dandruff might be useful.

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's extremely popular what are you talking about? As an antiandrogen it's pretty much ineffective though. It's good for seb. dermatitis from which many people balding or on minoxidil tend to suffer.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Because it's straight trash.
Hahahahahahahahah. Yes, sure, cause you say so. It is one of the few drugs, that have more than 10 studies done in humans with Androgenetic alopecia, and in every one was a success.
Learn to use it, well, first learn to read.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's extremely popular what are you talking about? As an antiandrogen it's pretty much ineffective though. It's good for seb. dermatitis from which many people balding or on minoxidil tend to suffer.
Yes, pretty much ineffectice cause you say so. Can you please explain it how it is so good on acne ? please don't tell me cause it is good for seb. Or may be you can explain us how it is good on seb ? may be cause it antiandrogenic effects ?!?!!?!?!?!!

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
A lot of people are reluctant to get on antiandrogens for fear of sides and, from what I've seen, ketoconazole applied topically doesn't have systemic effects, so how come keto isn't a popular alternative to finasteride and so forth? I very rarely see it mentioned on the forum?

Because more people are idiot and they only buy what they sell you on propaganda. If you are smart enought, read studies on pubmed , Ketoconazole, minoxidil, tretinoin , are the best combo without side effects.
also, there are people that use it two time per week, a couple of weeks, leaving a couple of minutes and say it is crap, lol .

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's worth using since it takes no effort, just use it as your normal shampoo 3 times a week. When taken orally it's a very potent anti-androgen, but it can't be used orally due to a poor safety profile. Topically it is safe, and its benefits go well beyond just being an anti-androgen.

The ketoconazole group showed an 18% increase in hair density compared to an 11% increase in hair density for the minoxidil group. The ketoconazole group also demonstrated a 19.4% decrease in the mean sebaceous gland area, which, in contrast, was increased by 5.3% in the minoxidil plus unmedicated shampoo group. Scalp sebaceous glands affected by hair loss bind androgens with greater affinity and capacity than their hairy counterparts.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/dth.13202#
Nizoral definitely goes systemic in thin scalp people. I am one of them. I get fatigue and moody and mentally cloudy soon after using it. The effects last anywhere from 3 to 48 hours for me. Even messes with my heart. My experiences are however probably very rare.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Because it is garbage that dries out your hair with absolutely no semblance of real world results. It works only in the vacuum of Pubmed studies just like many other things. LLLT, Saw Palmetto, and various other herbs probably have more evidence to back up their efficacy than ketoconazole yet we know those don't work. How it deserves a place in the "Big 3" is beyond me.

Here is a study showing your precious ketoconazole (with all its mighty antiandrogen properties) outperformed by simple piroctone olamine which gives more increase in hair count and diameter without even having any kind of AA effect or known side effect profile.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1467-2494.2002.00145.x

Laughable.