Here's my 40-50g/cm2 lookinggood has been asking to see.

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I don't feel freaky. I just think some women will think I don't care enough to brush my hair.

I doubt women will even notice it at all. Overall i think the hair transplant looks good.

G

CCs,

Honestly, being I am not a chemist or doctor. it's hard to say if those ingredients hurt the yield. I do know that the manufacturers of many of these products use the alchohol based additives to saturate and penetrate the scalp to deliver the active ingredient (minoxidil) to the hair follicles. What level of toxicity the inactive ingredients caused is really unknown.

But if you really want to know for sure, you could always have a scalp biopsy done to see if any of the transplanted folicles were damaged, and to see if they are still there. I don't want to start a big controversy here, but you'll often see me preach to patients to wait a full year between procedures. WHY? Part of the risk when you go back too early is transection of the exisiting hair follicles. So if new recipient incisions are made on top of an area that still has some yield coming through, transection can and will occur. That's my opinion and I have seen it happen before, but again we don't know for sure if that is why your yield is lacking.

You did not have this problem the first time because there were no previously transplanted hidden follicles below the surface to damage. But it's usually the guys that are late bloomers that may go back too early. In other words, they don't see the result "they want to see" post-op from the first procedure so they rush back in and have another one done to boost density. In many cases they are not told about the potential of transection. Still, we don't know for sure that is "your" situation unless you have the biopsies done. A local derm could do it for you.

And it also would not hurt to get some other opinions like Optimist suggested.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
CCs,

Honestly, being I am not a chemist or doctor. it's hard to say if those ingredients hurt the yield. I do know that the manufacturers of many of these products use the alchohol based additives to saturate and penetrate the scalp to deliver the active ingredient (minoxidil) to the hair follicles. What level of toxicity the inactive ingredients caused is really unknown.

But if you really want to know for sure, you could always have a scalp biopsy done to see if any of the transplanted folicles were damaged, and to see if they are still there. I don't want to start a big controversy here, but you'll often see me preach to patients to wait a full year between procedures. WHY? Part of the risk when you go back too early is transection of the exisiting hair follicles. So if new recipient incisions are made on top of an area that still has some yield coming through, transection can and will occur. That's my opinion and I have seen it happen before, but again we don't know for sure if that is why your yield is lacking.

You did not have this problem the first time because there were no previously transplanted hidden follicles below the surface to damage. But it's usually the guys that are late bloomers that may go back too early. In other words, they don't see the result "they want to see" post-op from the first procedure so they rush back in and have another one done to boost density. In many cases they are not told about the potential of transection. Still, we don't know for sure that is "your" situation unless you have the biopsies done. A local derm could do it for you.

And it also would not hurt to get some other opinions like Optimist suggested.

Good point with the transection example. Many people go in too early for their next procedure and possibly damage there potential yield...heck I say wait 18 months b/c there are alot of slow growers out there too. Hair Greed precipitates this.

G

How many guys do you think will wait that long? Still, they should wait it out because caliper maturation does take that long which we know. Caliper covers better than density hands down.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CCS,

What I would do if I were in your shoes and felt this strong about the present outcome is I would not go for another hair transplant anytime soon but I would consult with about 3 top surgeons and get feedback on your case. You may need to network with other posters but see what the general consensus is between hair transplant surgeons. They can evaluate the hair directions and tell you...or at least give you an explanation as to what is really wrong. This way it would give you peace of mind. Just be careful and dont tell anyone who you are (aka CCS) b/c alot of DOcs believe it or not read these forums and know who is who and I would want you to be blackballed or labeled a problem child then you wouldnt get a fair shake. You see my point?

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
LookingGood! said:
CCS,

What I would do if I were in your shoes and felt this strong about the present outcome is I would not go for another hair transplant anytime soon but I would consult with about 3 top surgeons and get feedback on your case. You may need to network with other posters but see what the general consensus is between hair transplant surgeons. They can evaluate the hair directions and tell you...or at least give you an explanation as to what is really wrong. This way it would give you peace of mind. Just be careful and dont tell anyone who you are (aka CCS) b/c alot of DOcs believe it or not read these forums and know who is who and I would want you to be blackballed or labeled a problem child then you wouldnt get a fair shake. You see my point?

I second the appointment with a top 3 Doctor.

Even if he doesn't give theme his username, they're gonna recognize Ed Norton when he goes in there!!

CCS

Reaction score
I'll wait another year. I don't think transection occured because my first procedure with her was very successful. All the hairs were out but just not fully developed by the second procedure. Transection would occure if I went for another procedure now, perhaps. But I think maybe 7 months was not enough time for the blood supply to fully recover, and maybe the second procedure failed for that reason.

I feel a little nervous with this top of the pile thread that could hurt a doctor's business, but I'm pretty sure I would have seen the hairs correctly when I stared at them 10x a day. I will say it was difficult if not impossible for me to count the density of the hairs between hairs, but I do remember where the hair line was in the two places that it is not now, especially where it came down to the care I have from a car accident on the right side of my face, where it now is above. The very tip of the temple is close to it, so maybe she just did not bring the rest down. I just thought she did. She asked me if maybe it was just puncture marks and not actual hairs that I saw. I'm pretty sure they were hairs, but as the months go by and the image is blurrier I have to trust my memory. At least the grafts are good enough I can't tell them from old hair.

Anyway, I'm thinking of arm pit hair transplats later. I can take them all, saving $500 on laser hair removal, and the scars are out of site and out of the sun so they can heal better, and those are my biggest hairs on my body. I think 1000 2's fix me up good. But if the price is too high, maybe I should wait another year for HM, which would have even better density. I could use the money now just for going out. A scalp dye should hide stuff a bit for now.

CCS

Reaction score
I need to keep my crotch looking good if a woman will be down there. I doubt they will be in my arm pits nearly as much. And my arm pit hairs are longer and just as dark. The other place I'm thinking of is front neck hair.

Why is pubic hair better?

My legs, chest, and abs must stay scar free.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Why is pubic hair better?

He's taking the piss :roll:

CCS said:
I need to keep my crotch looking good if a woman will be down there.

:roll:

CCS said:
My legs, chest, and abs must stay scar free.

Good point CCS its very common during sex for a woman to whip out a magnifying glass to inspect every area of your skins surface. I know its happened to me dozens of times. :roll:

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
Pubes are better becuase curly hair is coming back into style and if pubic hairs really do give off an odor (questionable), than the sensuous smell emanating from your head will attract mass girls and you'll get loads of butt.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Get pubes and your friends will call you dickhead! 8)

Anyway, if your not getting pokey then why are you worried about girls going down there if there are no girls in the first place???? :?

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
LookingGood! said:
Anyway, if your not getting pokey then why are you worried about girls going down there if there are no girls in the first place???? :?

Harsh. That was the first thing I thought, but I wasn't gonna say it. :)

CCS

Reaction score
I think my hair is getting thicker in front. That or I just don't care anymore. But I seem to be having a lot more good hair days. And my friends (even the best looking ones) say my hair looks just fine. I have to get in close before it starts to look really thin. I can see some of the thinness from far back, in slightly dim lighting, but it is no worse than gelled normal hair. I will experiment with dying my scalp, but I think it might be fine how it is. I'll definitely get HM later, but I think I should be more worried about my body and clothes than my hair at this point.

Even though my scar in back is noticeable, I don't think it looks bad. It is not like it is raise or pink or huge. It is just 1/4 inch wide, at least half of which is covered by some hair.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1/4 inch??? Are you f'in kidding me? Was that the Bosley strips? I couldnt imagine that Dr Keene would do that!

What about dying your hair dirty blonde? You could definitley pull it off w/o a doubt. Your light complexion would also add to this well and thus hide the thinning appearance. The darker the hair the more noticeable the thinning IMHO.

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
LookingGood! said:
1/4 inch??? Are you f'in kidding me? Was that the Bosley strips? I couldnt imagine that Dr Keene would do that!

What about dying your hair dirty blonde? You could definitley pull it off w/o a doubt. Your light complexion would also add to this well and thus hide the thinning appearance. The darker the hair the more noticeable the thinning IMHO.

I don't understand why peolple think Keene is above making the mistakes that CCS has mentioned. She's probably better than bosley, but she is certainly not a top Doctor.

CCS

Reaction score
My bosley scar was 1/4 wide. Then my first procedure with Dr Keene left almost no scar. Then my second procedure with her had a 1/4 inch scar.

I tried my best to keep my head back to keep tension off the scar, but it is possible I changed positions in my sleep and that could have put tension on it. Also, my second procedure was 7 months after my first procedure with her. It is possible my skin had more tention then. Whatever the reasons, I did not get full yield and I got a scar again. Annoying. I'm just going to make do and avoid surguries for now.

I'm thinking of dying the scar, but I need a dye that won't damage the skin. Any suggestions?

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
My bosley scar was 1/4 wide. Then my first procedure with Dr Keene left almost no scar. Then my second procedure with her had a 1/4 inch scar.

I tried my best to keep my head back to keep tension off the scar, but it is possible I changed positions in my sleep and that could have put tension on it. Also, my second procedure was 7 months after my first procedure with her. It is possible my skin had more tention then. Whatever the reasons, I did not get full yield and I got a scar again. Annoying. I'm just going to make do and avoid surguries for now.

I'm thinking of dying the scar, but I need a dye that won't damage the skin. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't screw around with trying to color it. Why don't you put some FUE in it, it shouldn't take much.