Here's my 40-50g/cm2 lookinggood has been asking to see.

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
Marcules said:
collegechemistrystudent said:
and i've been avoiding the sun for years

I find that hard to believe. The majority of your aging is photo aging, hence the redness and possibly the moles.

But I'm hoping you succeed.

What the hell is "photo aging?"

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Marcules said:
and i've been avoiding the sun for years

I find that hard to believe. The majority of your aging is photo aging, hence the redness and possibly the moles.

But I'm hoping you succeed.

You are f'in nutso! :freaked2:

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
CCS,

Have you discussed this with your surgeon?

She thinks my hair just looks thin in the corners because it is curling towards the center. She offered to put more grafts in there for free. I think there is more to the story than that, but can't prove it without photos. I'm not going back even if it is free.

As for my backup plan, I'll tan my scalp with sunnless tanner for now, and if I have to shave, at least I'll have roots near the front, and I can maybe get subdermal tatoos of hair roots behind that.

That is probably the worst backup plan I have ever heard, I'd say no plan would be better than that. Head tatoos are not a backup plan, they are white flag.

Anyways, I hope for your sake (and mine too to a lesser extent) that HM comes out soon.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
CCS,

She thinks my hair just looks thin in the corners because it is curling towards the center. She offered to put more grafts in there for free. I think there is more to the story than that, but can't prove it without photos. I'm not going back even if it is free.

As for my backup plan, I'll tan my scalp with sunnless tanner for now, and if I have to shave, at least I'll have roots near the front, and I can maybe get subdermal tatoos of hair roots behind that.

What was rationale or explanation for this poor yield?

You wont take her up for some FUE at least?

Do you think maybe some of those crazy concoctions may have had a detrimental effect on the growth?
Why not try avodart, minoxidil foam and nizoral only?

G

CCS,

Whatever you do, don't do any more surgery, certainly not now or in the near future. Stay away from the tatooing in the frontal zone or you will regret that one day. :freaked:

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
LookingGood! said:
gillenator said:
CCS,

Do you think maybe some of those crazy concoctions may have had a detrimental effect on the growth?

If the hair didn't grow, it is almost certainly the fault of the surgical team. I am sure that is why Keene is willing to do free FUE, she probably feels bad about wasting his donor hair.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Optimist said:
LookingGood! said:
gillenator said:
CCS,

If the hair didn't grow, it is almost certainly the fault of the surgical team. I am sure that is why Keene is willing to do free FUE, she probably feels bad about wasting his donor hair.

You cant always blame the surgical team. It may very well be his physiology or even some of the stuff he was experiementing with.

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
LookingGood! said:
Optimist said:
[quote="LookingGood!":4c4ad]
gillenator said:
CCS,

You cant always blame the surgical team. It may very well be his physiology or even some of the stuff he was experiementing with.[/quote:4c4ad]

I agree, especially with kind of chemistry expiriments he's been doing on his head, but I think it is almost always the fault of the surgical team and I would definately start there.

I would hope he wasn't using his regimen while the new grafts were growing in, but if he was than I think you have a valid point.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it's extremely difficult to blame the surgical team with this. Alot of things affect the outcome that the surgical team has no control of. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
LookingGood! said:
it's extremely difficult to blame the surgical team with this. Alot of things affect the outcome that the surgical team has no control of. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

I asked Dr. Rassman about the issue of grafts not growing on his blog and below is his answer. He lists the #1 cause as being the surgical team handling the grafts improperly. The other cuases he mentions are autoimmune problems and infection. I think it only makes sense to start with the surgical team. I don't see any reason to be shy in laying the blame on some $15/hr transplant technician, but then it is possible that the hundreds of chemicals ccs is mixing on his head created some kind of unknown reaction that killed the grafts. Who knows.

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/03/16/a ... -not-grow/

CCS

Reaction score
Optimist said:
gillenator said:
CCS,

If donor hair is curly, that would explain the uneven lumpy look of the temple area from that angle. I would suspect that a good surgeon would have some way of dealing with that problem. I am concerned that Keene is recommending so many changes post-surgery. It seems those things should have been worked out beforehand.

All the temple hairs are growing the wrong direction. they should go down and back like the other hairs, but they go straight out and forwards. Dr Keene said she pointed them the right direction, but that is the way the hair just chose to go. On surgery day, I sensed she did not like me, but I guess that is an irrational suspicion. Most of that temple hair is from the first surgery, when I did not sense that, so I doubt this is the case. It probably is just her skill or my hair. I did not like the way bosley angled my hair either. It goes up instead of with the natural hair. Now I'll have to try really hard to style it with the rest. I can't judge a Doctor too much when I don't know how that stuff works, though.

CCS

Reaction score
Optimist said:
LookingGood! said:

I asked Dr. Rassman about the issue of grafts not growing on his blog and below is his answer. He lists the #1 cause as being the surgical team handling the grafts improperly. The other cuases he mentions are autoimmune problems and infection. I think it only makes sense to start with the surgical team. I don't see any reason to be shy in laying the blame on some $15/hr transplant technician, but then it is possible that the hundreds of chemicals ccs is mixing on his head created some kind of unknown reaction that killed the grafts. Who knows.

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/03/16/a ... -not-grow/

The surgery lasted about 5 hours and they had magnification on 19 inch monitors. I was the only person operated on that day. I don't see how they could mess it up. She worked with Shapiro years ago, who is good too. I don't know for sure how many grafts grew. I just know that plenty in the hair line where I saw grafts after surgery never grew back, and my hair looks pretty thin for 40-50, and by looking at the spacing and doing some basic math.

CCS

Reaction score
Yeah, I put everclear and water and propylene glycol (same stuff as is in minoxidil) and green tea extract on my head starting a few months after surgery. She told me to use minoxidil during this time, which I also used. I also put AC spray on my head during this time, but some surgeons use this to reduce scaring.

CCS

Reaction score
gillenator said:
CCS,

Whatever you do, don't do any more surgery, certainly not now or in the near future. Stay away from the tatooing in the frontal zone or you will regret that one day. :freaked:

Don't worry. I won't. I'm just working out in the gym. I'm also using sunless tanner on my head to hide the scalp a bit. That is as far as I will go.

G

Are you guys sure it was FUE she offered because I have not heard of Dr. Keene doing FUE.

CCS

Reaction score
She did not offer FUE, nor does she do FUE. She offered to fill in my corners more since they look so thin. She says they just look thin because the hairs there curl towards the center. When I look at the spacing of the hairs, I disagree.

One thing I will credit her with is that I don't think there was any shock loss. It just looked that way because I have so much area covered with grafts and the rest of my hair is so dense.

She did an exellent job on her first procedure with me. Since some places are thinker than others, I do think some of the second procedure's grafts did grow out, but I doubt it is over 50%. I just can't be that sure since I had the second procedure before the first one's grafts were fully matured.

Gillenator,
Everclear is 190 proof ethanol. It is the stuff college kids drink before bed. I used about 33% water, 33% everclear, and 33% propylene glycol in my mixtures. Rogaine is 20% ethanol, 30% water, and 50% propylene glycol. I used this 2 months after my surgery, and stopped covering them with a hat 2 months after, though I still stayed out of the sun as much as possible.

I don't know how an experienced surgeon who has fantastic magnification and no other patient in the building could mess anything up, but 1/3 of my hairline did not grow out to where it was post op, and most of the hair behind that still looks to me like 30 grafts/cm2, or maybe 40 in some places. None of it looks half as dense as the rest of my hair, though I do have dense hair. I think my donor hair is limited more by scalp tension than by the number of hair follicles. Yeah, that could mean FUE later, but I'm just waiting for HM, since it should be out by the time I have money to do anything like this again.

CCS

Reaction score
there was another topical I used: Eucapil, also about 2 months after surgery. It is an androgen receptor blocker like spironolactone, but it is in isopropyl alcohol, the alcohol of rubbing alcohol. That stuff is more toxic than ethanol. So maybe that hurt the grafts, but this was 2 months later. What do you think Gillenator?

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
She did not offer FUE, nor does she do FUE. She offered to fill in my corners more since they look so thin. She says they just look thin because the hairs there curl towards the center. When I look at the spacing of the hairs, I disagree.

One thing I will credit her with is that I don't think there was any shock loss. It just looked that way because I have so much area covered with grafts and the rest of my hair is so dense.

She did an exellent job on her first procedure with me. Since some places are thinker than others, I do think some of the second procedure's grafts did grow out, but I doubt it is over 50%. I just can't be that sure since I had the second procedure before the first one's grafts were fully matured.

Gillenator,
Everclear is 190 proof ethanol. It is the stuff college kids drink before bed. I used about 33% water, 33% everclear, and 33% propylene glycol in my mixtures. Rogaine is 20% ethanol, 30% water, and 50% propylene glycol. I used this 2 months after my surgery, and stopped covering them with a hat 2 months after, though I still stayed out of the sun as much as possible.

I don't know how an experienced surgeon who has fantastic magnification and no other patient in the building could mess anything up, but 1/3 of my hairline did not grow out to where it was post op, and most of the hair behind that still looks to me like 30 grafts/cm2, or maybe 40 in some places. None of it looks half as dense as the rest of my hair, though I do have dense hair. I think my donor hair is limited more by scalp tension than by the number of hair follicles. Yeah, that could mean FUE later, but I'm just waiting for HM, since it should be out by the time I have money to do anything like this again.

Sounds like they got messed directionally with those grafts. I can't see any other explanation. Are both sides the same way? As far as the stuff that didn't grow, from what I've read that is quite rare to have so much hair fail to grow. I don't think Keene is a top-notch doctor by any means.

It wouldn't hurt to get a consultation with another Doctor just to see what they have to say about it. I'm betting they will blame Keene.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm betting they won't have enough proof to know anything, same as me, with no post op pictures.

From the day after of surgery to the present I stared at my hairline 10x a day, and I watched the pink areas fade, and I'm very confident I had gafts lower on my left side and also lower on my right temple. But I'm not 100% sure now and don't have pictures. I doubt another doctor could tell.

Anyway, my scar is not noticable if my hair is at least 1/2 inch long in back. I buzzed my hair shorter, and at just over 1/4 inch, it is quite noticeable. Oh well, a little sunless tanner or hair dye right there should take care of that. I'm keeping my hair short becaues that is how I like it. With the front hairs going the wrong way, I have to keep them short to look OK.

I don't feel freaky. I just think some women will think I don't care enough to brush my hair.