Hairmax Lasercomb Results

jcosta

Reaction score
Well Guys,

I haven't posted on this forum in quite a while because I wanted to wait until I can add something new. Since first starting to use the Hairmax Lasercomb back in April I have been gauging my success (or lackthereof) of my NW3v hairloss condition. My wife and I noted some improvements but very negligible.

Now it's September, and still, nothing exciting to report and my results are less than satisfactory for the money I paid. I'm not saying the product doesn't work, it just doesn't work on me. I recognize that I'm 43 and that my hairloss has been occuring for well over 20 years albeit gradually. Maybe this is a factor.

I've decided to return it and get my full money back as the Hairmax folks have promised. I'm looking into switching to dutasteride since many who have posted here claim some success with that.

I don't know if there's anybody else in my age group who has had a similar experience with the laser comb. I'm curious to hear your thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.

I'm not giving up my fight with hairloss, I'm simply switching tactics. I just wish all this stuff wouldn't be so damn expensive. You would think with so many users the price would have gone down somewhat. And I'm certainly not giving in to the suggestions that some of my friends and colleagues offered that I just simply "shave it". I'm not Vin Diesel and not everybody looks good totally bald.

So there you have it. I'll let you all know if I have any difficulty getting my money back. Good luck to everyone else still using the Lasercomb. I hope it works better for you.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
Its been 4 months for me and I seem to be having good results. I've noticed thicker hair and some regrowth around the temple area. I am using a combination of Tricomin, Nizoral, and the laser comb so it could be any combination of those things.

jcosta

Reaction score
Ouroboros,

I'm glad it's working for you. I'm using everything you mentioned save the Tricomin. Also, how often are you using the Nizoral shampoo? I may not be using it frequently enough, 3 times a week.

To what extent is your level of hairloss (Norwood?) That might also be a factor including your age and how soon you started this treatment. I really regret that this stuff wasn't available during my early onset of male pattern baldness. I may have had different results.

I've decided to hold on to it until Oct. 16th when the warranty expires. Sorry for the flip flopping. It's just I'm anxious to get on to something that has a better chance of working and at the same time make sure that I give the laser comb every opportunity to work.

I can't help feeling that every day that I waste using a product that doesn't "seem" to work, is another day that I get closer to going from an NW3v to an NW4v. There is just way too much thinning in my frontal and side temple area of late. My crown is stiil the same "crop circle" that it's been for the last few years.

jcosta

Reaction score
I totally agree, Rambo. I'm actually considering going on dutasteride as a replacement for the laser comb. Correct strategy? I'm open to suggestions.

I actually tried to obtain a prescription for dutasteride from my Dermatologist and was surprised when he told me that "he never heard of it". I won't be going to him again, by the way.

It's my understanding that a prescription is necessary for dutasteride here in the U.S. Am I wrong? I believe Avodart is the distributor but is there a generic which is cheaper?

I know, so many questions, so little time. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

jcosta

Reaction score
Rambo said:
Have you tried propecia?

No I haven't. It's funny that you ask that though since I'm currently considering trying a generic form of finasteride instead of dutasteride as I mentioned earlier. It's my understanding that finasteride is the active ingredient in Propecia, just cheaper. I hope I'm correct on this or else I'm just showing my ignorance. I'm really starting to learn a lot on these forums which is why I'm going back and forth on some of my statements.

Once I get on with something however, I'll stick with it for a while to see if it works like I did with the laser comb. I'm learning that everyone seems to have their own unique regimen that works specifically well for them. Trouble is just finding the right one without spending a fortune.

What do you think, Rambo? Is generic finasteride the way to go along with some topical solution such as minoxidil and Nizoral shampoo? Maybe this is the big three that everyone is talking about. Thanks again fo your help.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jcosta, Propeica is just 1mg Finasteride, in a fancy blue pill with loads of marketing :)

1mg finasteride, Nizoral and Minoxidil is as good a starting point as any :)

It's not as good as Dutasteride though... doubtless lots of people will tell you the sides will be worse, but I experienced less side effects on 2.5mg dutasteride a day (that's 5 times the normal dose!!!) than I did on 1.25mg finasteride.

In fact one of the more interesting side effects is that it's improved my skin condition considerably.

I'm not saying that this will be everyone's experience, but dutasteride is not this scary drug everyone seems to think it is. If you can afford it, and want to trat your hairloss agressively, I'd give some thought to taking dutasteride.

jcosta

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip, Stampede. I've been going back and forth as to whether to go on dutasteride, which is pricier, or finasteride which is cheaper but according to some, the same results after a year. Of course, people have mentioned that dutasteride works quicker.

I'm actually hoping for one side affect, lesser body hair. I don't think I would qualify as Sasquatch, but I could use a little less hair on my back and chest to stomach areas. It's only recently that I discovered thicker hair on my back, another indicator that Dht is still hard at work.

I had hoped that at 43, the ravages of this hormonal extract (if you can call it that) would subside a bit. Also, some people have indicated on this website that chronic itchy scalp is another example of the Dht assault. Interesting enough it's in the areas where I itch the most where my hairloss is most evident (frontal and temple areas). Even my sides itch but no hairloss there, thank God. Nizoral 1% feels great on my hair but has not quite taken care of the itch entirely.

I also have head pimples from time to time but I'm not totally sure if this is attributed to Dht. I don't suffer from too much flaking, if any, however. Maybe I need to add Tricomin shampoo to see if this would help. As always, I'm open for suggestions. Thanks again for your input.

jcosta

Reaction score
I didn't think of that, Rambo. Thanks. Proscar is also finasteride, correct?

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes it is jcosta. Its exactly what I'm doing. I might try the Nizoral Shampoo. Although after Riviogen shampoo I'm rather scared as thats nearly scalped me in 3 weeks. :(

jcosta

Reaction score
Thanks Ginger-UK and Rambo, I will get on the Proscar (or the like). I've done some research on this site and found other valuable information reference Proscar, Propecia, and dutasteride. But Proscar is a little more in my budget so I'll look in that direction.

You may have already heard of this website, but I'm looking at Inhouse Pharmacy at http://www.inhousepharmacy.com where they offer a generic "Proscar" called Fincar. It's cheaper at $78 for 90 tablets and has 5mg of finasteride just like Proscar. Also, no prescription is necessary.

Have you guys, or anyone else heard anything good or bad about these folks? Someone else had recommended them on this site which is how I got this information. I figure if it will have the same results as Proscar than I'll order this immediately. Please advise, thanks.

jcosta

Reaction score
I'll be checking them out. The money I get back from the lasercomb I'm going to put towards the Fincar treatment. I do realize that I have to fight this thing internally as well as externally to make any, excuse the pun, headway.

I'm considering building my own Laser brush like somebody on this site instructed to use as the "Big Four" treatment. I'm currently a 3v and have been losing my hair well over a 25 year period. I need every help I can get.

jcosta

Reaction score
I just wanted to tell everyone that I just placed an order with Inhouse Pharmacies for Fincar (generic Proscar). Thanks to all of you who offered advice as to a good alternative to the Laser Comb, which by the way is going back to Active Forever which is one of the distributors.

I'll also be starting minoxidil to add to my Nizoral regimen. I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress (or lackthereof) once I start this treatment. Thanks again.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would get the minoxidil foam, mate.

It's much less messy and is allegedly more effective. It doesn't cost all that much more if you buy it on bay.

The liquid is really greasy and takes ages to dry. I couldn't wear it through the day.

CCS

Reaction score
stampede said:
I would get the minoxidil foam, mate.

It's much less messy and is allegedly more effective. It doesn't cost all that much more if you buy it on bay.

The liquid is really greasy and takes ages to dry. I couldn't wear it through the day.

this is true, but for some reason the liquid has not been bothering me much. I apply it, and put my hat on, and when I take the hat off 45 minutes later, I'm good to go. Foam is nice though since you just put it on and are ready right then.

jcosta

Reaction score
Actually I'm purchasing the Rogaine foam today. Since I never used any minoxidil products in the past, I appreciate the tips you all are giving.