Hair Update, Derms Wont Let Me Get On Fina

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
also told me to just accept ill be going bald since my dad is nw4.5-5ish and theres nothing i can do about it

What a fantastic dermatologist :rolleyes:

Dude, find a new doctor ASAP. That's f*****g bullshit. It's her job to help you find solutions to your problem, not tell you to ACCEPT it when there's a f*****g medication available for it

It's rage inducing to hear medical professionals acting this way

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont know. There is nothing wrong with waiting for it to get a little worse, and see the direction it goes. See if it speeds up or its male pattern baldness for sure and not a mature hairline.
You want to be sure its male pattern baldness, and have some visible hair loss before doing it IMO. It looks very very minor to me. Take pictures in a year and wait. You have plenty of time, but once you start propecia its a life long thing.

Mature hairlines are like Santa Claus. You can believe in them but they don’t exist in real life.

You are doing him no favors by telling him to wait especially if male pattern baldness runs in his family. Earlier you start treatment less hair you lose

Why would you tell him to wait for visible hair loss? Meds don’t regrow hair. Point of them is to stop the balding process and keep a full head.

FYI “matured hairlines” are caused by the same process as regular male pattern baldness - dht sensitivity.

“Mature hairline” is just a polite way of saying slight male pattern baldness.

Looks wise Norwood 1 always looks better then 2 etc. So save the most you can

Last edited:

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mature hairlines are like Santa Claus. You can believe in them but they don’t exist in real life.

You are doing him no favors by telling him to wait especially if male pattern baldness runs in his family. Earlier you start treatment less hair you lose

Why would you tell him to wait for visible hair loss? Meds don’t regrow hair. Point of them is to stop the balding process and keep a full head.

FYI “matured hairlines” are caused by the same process as regular male pattern baldness - dht sensitivity.

“Mature hairline” is just a polite way of saying slight male pattern baldness.

Looks wise Norwood 1 always looks better then 2 etc. So save the most you can

That’s just not true.

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s just not true.

Actually it’s very true. Medications do not regrow significant amounts of hair. You may get some regrowth or thickening if you are lucky but I wouldn’t expect to get very noticeable amounts. Of course there are always exceptions and rare hyper responders. Even in the studies done by Merk with propecia participants only regrew about 100 hairs. FYI hair count on most men is over 100,000.

My point being if you are showing noticeable signs of baldness meds are not going to fix the problem for you but they will stop it from getting worse

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually it’s very true. Medications do not regrow significant amounts of hair. You may get some regrowth or thickening if you are lucky but I wouldn’t expect to get very noticeable amounts. Of course there are always exceptions and rare hyper responders. Even in the studies done by Merk with propecia participants only regrew about 100 hairs. FYI hair count on most men is over 100,000.

My point being if you are showing noticeable signs of baldness meds are not going to fix the problem for you but they will stop it from getting worse

Agreed, waiting until it gets worse, in my opinion, is ridiculous. You don't get a second chance with prevention.

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So a lil update on my crown, do you guys think i'm starting to lose some on there?
I have a hair whorl but can't tell if thats what causes what you'll see in the following albums. Looks pretty bad at some and great in others. I wear it to the side, kind of like a combover, so hopefully that's the reason it looks weird when sitting normally.I feel like it's either crown loss or just a very weird parting at the end of my hair whorl / messy hair. *all the pics were taken with a pretty strong phone flash light*

before shower - https://imgur.com/a/x1IKW ( my hair gets greasy in like two days, might also be because i keep touching it, so thats the last time i shampooed before taking these photos)
soaking wet hair - https://imgur.com/a/ALuHA
after drying it - https://imgur.com/a/H0JB2

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So a lil update on my crown, do you guys think i'm starting to lose some on there?
I have a hair whorl but can't tell if thats what causes what you'll see in the following albums. Looks pretty bad at some and great in others. I wear it to the side, kind of like a combover, so hopefully that's the reason it looks weird when sitting normally.I feel like it's either crown loss or just a very weird parting at the end of my hair whorl / messy hair. *all the pics were taken with a pretty strong phone flash light*

before shower - https://imgur.com/a/x1IKW ( my hair gets greasy in like two days, might also be because i keep touching it, so thats the last time i shampooed before taking these photos)
soaking wet hair - https://imgur.com/a/ALuHA
after drying it - https://imgur.com/a/H0JB2

Hard to tell without a baseline picture but your density still looks good there.

mojojuju224

My Regimen
Reaction score

This isn't correct. The hair increases were measured within a certain area (per square inch, I believe?); that wasn't the total hair count.

Also, take a look at this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11907500

"...Finasteride, 1 mg, increased hair weight in men with Androgenetic Alopecia. Hair weight increased to a larger extent than hair count, implying that factors other than the number of hairs, such as increased growth rate (length) and thickness of hairs, contribute to the beneficial effects of finasteride in treated men.

So, Finasteride both increases hair count and generally thickens your hair based on what the studies suggest.

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard to tell without a baseline picture but your density still looks good there.
im talking about the area where you can see more scalp than the others, looks normal when my hair is wet though.. dont know anymore
heres some pics from 2017, although my hair was a bit longer in some than it is now
https://imgur.com/a/ufspG
i dont have any photos from the "problematic" angle though. It looks normal from straight above

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
im talking about the area where you can see more scalp than the others, looks normal when my hair is wet though.. dont know anymore
heres some pics from 2017, although my hair was a bit longer in some than it is now
https://imgur.com/a/ufspG
i dont have any photos from the "problematic" angle though. It looks normal from straight above

I don’t know man, your crown looks pretty solid to me. I would say monitor it.

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t know man, your crown looks pretty solid to me. I would say monitor it.

don't you think this looks like some loss? Although theres a harsh light it still looks suspicious to me

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 256

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
don't you think this looks like some loss? Although theres a harsh light it still looks suspicious to me
Nope, you have normal density and cowlick.

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have pictures of when you were a norwood 0 for comparison? Your hair is uniformly thick, so you're not actively receding to the visible eye. But since you seem a bit paranoid and any further receding and you wouldn't be content (many would still be content) with your hairline, your best bet is check for miniaturization testing.

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This isn't correct. The hair increases were measured within a certain area (per square inch, I believe?); that wasn't the total hair count.

Also, take a look at this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11907500

"...Finasteride, 1 mg, increased hair weight in men with Androgenetic Alopecia. Hair weight increased to a larger extent than hair count, implying that factors other than the number of hairs, such as increased growth rate (length) and thickness of hairs, contribute to the beneficial effects of finasteride in treated men.

So, Finasteride both increases hair count and generally thickens your hair based on what the studies suggest.

I can definitely confirm increased growth rate (length) and thickness of hairs with Finasteride alone(no minoxidil)

Hair count also increased, but not all are terminal. Basically I can see more minaturized hair sprouting(that are still thin) on my receded temples, which were definitely not visible before. This is 6 months into treatment.

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have pictures of when you were a norwood 0 for comparison? Your hair is uniformly thick, so you're not actively receding to the visible eye. But since you seem a bit paranoid and any further receding and you wouldn't be content (many would still be content) with your hairline, your best bet is check for miniaturization testing.
For the record, i'm absolutely happy with my hair right now.Do I want it to be NW1 again? hell yeah I do! But i'm not gonna cry over a Norwood 1.5-2.
I do fear from it receding further though, as any person would. Also I don't think NW0's take pics of the top of their head, but I found this from last summer, when I first noticed that my hairline is somewhat receding.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 244

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Went to a derm again, still no fina. Also tried to give me "Prostamol Uno". The active ingredient is "Serenoae repentis fructus extraction spissum".
Told me it's normally used for enlarged prostate, but also works well with androgenic alopecia. Honestly, it looks like some saw palmetto bs to me, but derm said it also blocks the 5α-Reductase

Thoughts?

Duduu

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
How often you masturbate ? Once or twice a day ?

This is a serious question, not meant to disrespect you.

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Went to a derm again, still no fina. Also tried to give me "Prostamol Uno". The active ingredient is "Serenoae repentis fructus extraction spissum".
Told me it's normally used for enlarged prostate, but also works well with androgenic alopecia. Honestly, it looks like some saw palmetto bs to me, but derm said it also blocks the 5α-Reductase

Thoughts?
let me rephrase that - thoughts of someone with functioning brain cells

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Aight here's two albums.

wet hair - https://imgur.com/a/uzjbF

dry hair - https://imgur.com/a/d0ayV

@hollow11

I looked through the ENTIRE set, believe it or not (you didn't post enough pictures, LOL).

I really don't THINK that you suffer from androgen alopecia.

The only place that looks suspicious to me, is around your side hairlines. But I really just think
that's the way your hair is combed/styled, I don't think you are currently having balding issues.